uddha sword breakdown (adding a gaurd)

Bri in Chi said:
I don't think of my khukris as possessions. I think I'm just taking care of them temporarily. When I do work on one, I want to be damned sure it will be better when I'm done. I think it's fine to work on villagers or 'standard' HI items. They are indeed tools, and meant to be used. I'm not sure this item is in that category.
Oh well, what's done is done.

Those are sound views/opinions, and I do respect them. But......... that old phrase comes into play here............ "Different strokes for different folks" ;)

My view's are simply different than your's.

If I ran a museum, and that museum's goal was to only use all private and public money received for obtaining and preserving relics (of whatever the sort), then yes, I would feel obligated to consider myself the caretaker of those items. Any work done would only consist of conservation, and possibly of restoration (when the proper people have decided on such a thing in fear that the item would be lost without the work being done).

But as private collector, I do not buy items with any restrictions on what I purchase. If you sell me a knife, gun, piece of art glass, collectible porcelain, antique furniture, or what have you, it is mine to do with as I please.

If I purchase a collectible handicraft item and decide to never alter it, never use it, and just basically visually admire that crafted item, so beit.

If I purchase the same listed above, but decide to alter it, use it, or do whatever with it, then so beit.

Again, I simply look at things differently :)
I "do" consider my purchases as being "my" possessions. At some point they will become "somebody elses" possessions (I can't live forever), but until that time comes, they are mine to do with as I please.
This is just my view/opinion, and it comes from a guy that usually does not alter a collectible in any way whatsoever.

Just different ways at looking at things. There is your way, there is my way, and there are people who may look at the whole thing in a completely different manner altogether. In any case, I can surely respect views that differ from mine.

Such is life, all's good :)

You can please everyone some of the time, and some folks all of the time, but you can't please everyone all of the time. You can only do your best, with love and respect, and know that your enemies will talk about you for a week, and your friends will understand.

Carry on.

John

Seth the sword is yours and yours to do with what you want.:D :cool: I couldn't care less if you had removed the carvings completely.
Cabbit is out of line here besides being rude and obnoxious.:rolleyes: :(

Please keep us posted on how the sword turns out. I for one am very interested to see how you manage the final application.:thumbup:

Just because I'm not an enabler and have respect for the craft of HI's craftsmen does not make me rude.

Yes, he does own it, but that doesn't make what he's doing right.

When a craftsman spends the extra time to make something nice, it's common courtesy to respect that and not tear it apart.

There are a lot of people that wanted that Uddha as it was. The Carving was beautiful! This was also rude to them, essentially shoving it in their face.

If you wanted one to tinker with, it would have been better to ask Ms. Yangdu for a plain one, or better yet, see if she could have one made with a guard.

No Cabbit, it is the way you put things, the way you choose to disparage others, the way you deem yourself the arbiter of how another person should go about the ownership of HIS knife, and it is the INCREDIBLE irony that you should speak of "courtesy" that makes you rude.

It's impossible to talk to you people...

Anyone with a differing opinion is automatically castigated.:rolleyes:

Cabbit said:
It's impossible to talk to you people...

Anyone with a differing opinion is automatically castigated.:rolleyes:

With all due respect...BULL! We put up with a lot of spit around here. You have your opinion. That's cool. I believe that you and Bri in Chi are of the same agreement that you do not approve of Seth taking the Uddha apart. However, Bri says so in a quiet respectful way. he is an old hand with a lot of wisdom and is listened to a great deal around by those with some sense. However, your first post in this thread was a big stinky thumbs down. Sure it conveys your message. However, that would be like me walking into a Harley dealership and smacking every bike that i didn't want to buy with a hammer. Sure they know i'm not interested in the bike, but they aren't happy about it either.
Think long and hard and go back and look at every post Kis has made. He is a man of compromise and peace. A gentle soul. If you are ruffling his feathers (even if it's just a lil' bit), then maybe you aren't being castigated.
Once again, no one is saying you are wrong. All we are saying is don't be an elitist where an elitist isn't needed.

Jake

Mr. Cabbit,

I often have divergent opinions from most folks, in some threads in the Cantina. They rarely "jump me", and the few times that happens, I probably provoked it by being, shall we say, "overly positive".

John

I once saw a cartoon of a guy holding a big file in his hand. He was saying, 'I made this out of an old bowie knife.' ;)

No, not Dan.

Another talented person.

Two more guesses.

I'll guarantee you it wasn't me, I couldn't do that level of work.

Either Sarge or Ferguson. Has to be one of them !

Is that an old 12 inch AK ? I'd guess made by Sher or Shankar .

Sorry.

None of the above.

I'll wait a few hours, then post it if the perpetrator doesn't 'fess up.:D

If this has already been guessed in this thread forgive me for poor reading, but;

Is is Bri in Chi ?

munk

Back