UFOs revisited

I've seen some pretty wierd things before. Could I explain them? No, but I don't think they were space aliens or something outlandish. I just think that the human mind has incredible capacities for imagination. Sometimes we get all fired up over a simple incident, that while it might be odd, is totally explainable and not a big deal.
Many people say that UFO sightings in Nevada are probably secret Air Force Projects. That makes sense.
Anyway,
my opinion for what it's worth.

My mom and I saw a flying saucer back in 1967. They must have been here to check on the Middle East war. There were a lot of them seen by folks around the Yom Kippur war too, 1973?

I have seen a lot of strange lights in the sky but that one was the only one I could actually make out the shape on.

Ruel-

I'm more worried about TV than guns.

I've read many times among 'science' that if intelligent life exists, a real probability, then how would it get here?

For our sake, I hope we can travel through space efficiently one day. We'll need other planets after this one is pounded.

munk

My mom and I saw a flying saucer back in 1967. They must have been here to check on the Middle East war. There were a lot of them seen by folks around the Yom Kippur war too, 1973?

I have seen a lot of strange lights in the sky but that one was the only one I could actually make out the shape on.>>> .Hollow

This suggest God is a space faring race taken an interest in the Jewish people. The "chosen" indeed.

munk

Kismet said:
Munk?

EARTH ABIDES, George R. Stewart.

Kis

I just reread that not too long ago after you mentioned it in another thread, Kismet. It has to be one of the best books ever written. I also passed it on to my best friend. He was so impressed that he wanted to go out and by a hammer like the one Ish had :D

--Josh

Does anybody else notice that UFOs seem to change with the times. Like a shot of a UFO from the 60s would look like something you'd expect from a 1960s sci-fi horror movie. And nowadays, more often than not, UFOs seem to get alot more hi tech looking like something from ID4 or Stargate SG1....
Makes me wonder and say hmmmmmm. Not trying to say I'm a skeptic, just maybe alot of them are hoaxes and some of them might be real

Thanks Josh.

That tickles the hell out of me! I love it when books get passed along, or reading delights someone else.

In melancholy moments, I think of all the books I've not heard of, or read. I think of all those non-readers who will never be touched by some of the written thoughts of folks, whether or not they agree with the ideas.

All writings..fiction, or non-fiction; science or poetry....all of it...such a marvelous ability of our species.

I have many books which are old friends and which get re-read FAR too often.

There is something to the heft and texture of pages...a tactile reinforcement...which makes it more special, and gives me a time away from myself. I don't have the type of imagination that creates pictures in my mind, but the words create, or stimulate, an intellectual construct which isn't visual...but, I don't know...maybe logical? Not sure.

And the whimsical writings of Ogden Nash and his ilk, just tickle the hell out of me. There are small dances of thought; short-circuses in the language that sometimes force audible laughing from me.

Thank you.

Kis
Enjoy every sandwich.

Mental illness is similar too- it changes as society does. There is little if any hysterical blindess or other paralyzing affects today.

We see what we expect to see to some extent.

enjoy every sandwich, I guess.

muk

I live a hundred odd miles notrth of the Tonopah test range, a bit further from Area 51. A friend has done work in Area 51.

I saw a couple glowing objects one night and was told later that my decription of what I saw was just what you would see if you looked up the tailpipes of a jet chopper, with all else blacked out. Do I beieve in black helicopters? Nope, but I don't not believe in them either.

Oh yes, early one day I was on a hill on a reservation above a dry lake bed south of Fallon. It was a Navy controlled airspace but we hadn't seen a Navy plane in 2 weeks. So here comes this Air National Guard photo recon Phantom flying so low I was looking down into the cockpit as he came by. An Air Force plane on Navy airspace? I turned to another guy and commented we'd just gone to war. About 11 that night the news broke we had begun running the Iraquis out of Kuwait.

Please look again:

1. Observe a phenomenon
2. Postulate a theory to explain the phenomenon.
3. Develop and conduct an experiment to test the theory.
4. Draw conclusions as to the validity of the theory.

There is no number 1a that asks you what you "believe."

Actually, the Flying Saucer depictions did not change much over the years and matched very well eyewitness descriptions. Even the "wobble" chalked up to bad special effects were actually noticed by witnesses of these vehicles.

One must eventually make a choice.
If you value science and what it has to offer, then you must keep an open mind and admit that it is possible that these UFOs are vehicles and are manned by Aliens.
The scientific method demands that such a hypothesis remain valid.

To suggest that it cannot be or state your "beliefs" that they are anything but what they seem to be, that is not scientific, that is magical, superstitious thinking.

One is forced, at the demonstration of a highly educated, highly experienced, highly credible witness to choose between science, which says "it is a possibility," and ignorance "it just cant be because I cant explain it."

christcl said:
Does anybody else notice that UFOs seem to change with the times. Like a shot of a UFO from the 60s would look like something you'd expect from a 1960s sci-fi horror movie. And nowadays, more often than not, UFOs seem to get alot more hi tech looking like something from ID4 or Stargate SG1....
Makes me wonder and say hmmmmmm. Not trying to say I'm a skeptic, just maybe alot of them are hoaxes and some of them might be real

Not only that certain areas have specific "types" of aliens they see. South America short hairy ones Scandinavia tall blonde, US the "grays". Seeing things is a very very subjective event. Aliens, angels, demons all the same. I used to be REALLY into UFO stuff but unfortunatly if you read mainstream works about the phenom, sadly, there really isn't much to it.... Carl Sagan busted my fantasies and set me straight...

:grumpy:

Danny, thanks for posting the scientific method again, as I really was curious how a single observation by a single man, regardless of who he is, fits into the scientific method. Like I said in my original post in this thread, that gets us to step one. Now what? You keep bringing up the scientific method like it can magically turn a single observation into repeatable science. Personally, I don't see the connection, so please explain it to me. Not trying to be argumentative, just curious.

--Josh

My point is this:

The scientific method requires us to allow for the possibility that there are alien vehicles in our skies.

He observed, that is step one. He went on to steps 2,3,and 4.

while he did not prove the origins, he did demonstrate the technically corroborative nature of sightings worldwide with a scientifically constructed "model" of a ship.

(In the absence of the actual technology, he used mathematics and physics to explain and predict behavior in ship movement which was borne out, over and over, by eye witnesses, tracks in the ground (and wooden rail ties ), high-compression 3 and 4 meter deep holes underneath the craft landing sites, etc...

My big point is that the scientific method has been applied, by people far more qualified than anyone here to do so,, and the evidence points to a real, physical presence using technology unknown to public science.

You can make jokes and spew derision, but science itself will not deny the possibility of aliens in our skies.

Carl Sagan never used the word "impossible," only "improbable."

In another post, someone said that aliens were always geo-culturally similar.
That is false.
The little grey ones have been seen worldwide.

Danny, do you really perceive me making jokes and spewing derision? I certainly hope that's not the case. I thought we were discussing UFOs. I donh't think any scientist would claim that UFOs are impossible, or even necessarily improbable. All you gave us in your initial post was a rundown of the steps involved in the scientific method, and a description of one sighting of a UFO by Paul Hill. If you'd put the information you just included in your last post in your first post instead, my reaction might have been different. I'm curious as to what research Mr. Hill did after the sighting. What types of experiments did he conduct, and what sort of data did he obtain? Did he have any more sightings? Any pictures or more concrete evidence?

--Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by christcl

johntrout said:
Not only that certain areas have specific "types" of aliens they see. South America short hairy ones Scandinavia tall blonde, US the "grays". Seeing things is a very very subjective event. Aliens, angels, demons all the same. I used to be REALLY into UFO stuff but unfortunatly if you read mainstream works about the phenom, sadly, there really isn't much to it.... Carl Sagan busted my fantasies and set me straight...

:grumpy:
I'm reasonably sure the last and latest pix I've seen made in South America have shown the same type of craft that has been reported there all along.
There was a documentary on the History Channel about UFOs and the Bible just the other night. I didn't catch all of it but I did see some interesting parts.
A priest, don't know what denomination, just had the collar, was remarking on different scriptures about the beings portrayed as well as the crafts.
I'm not sure if it was he that was remarking that the angels that came to Abraham to announce the coming of Issac were possibly aliens but that possibility was brought up.
I'd like to watch the whole thing if it comes on again and I have the time.:)

Sorry Josh, my thread posting skills are not etirely perfect.
(no, i didnt mean you were making fun of me, I could never be mad at my grill-man)
Paul Hill pretty much heard every word spoken by every person in space for about 30 years.
I think it would do the best just to recommend his book.
"unconventional flying objects."
Please read it.

Just check it out on Amazon.com. Looks like a great book; not sure how I missed hearing about it. I guess I need to keep a closer watch on UFO lit :D . I'm always adding to my UFO library. unfortunately, prices aren't what they once were for the vintage stuff now that UFO books have become popular collectibles.

--Josh

In another post, someone said that aliens were always geo-culturally similar.
That is false.
The little grey ones have been seen worldwide.[/QUOTE]

The grays now have achieved a world wide acceptability, this is due to improved communication. Now anyone with a television anywhere in the world knows what an alien "should" look like. In lower tech times (like post ww2) this was not the case... hence you get the more location specific types...

thats just it, mr trout, they were similar in the pre-TV times.
That was the point of my earlier thread about Saucers in ancient art and literature!

Back