UFOs revisited

BTW, Josh, I'm not angry.

I guess Danny is. Sorry about that.

I will confess to being bewildered and a bit frustrated.

It seems that I have had to resort to some blunt language to get my point across.

For all I know there could be a small group of people who have access to everything the UFO buffs claim exists and who make reproducable observations, submbit their results to each other for peer review, etc. In short, performing science.

The Manhattan Project was science.

However most of what I've seen RE UFO's, and I've no access to any secret stuff, isn't. The ultimate conclusions surely aren't.

Things still exist unknown or unproven by science. That's one of the reasons to do it.

Firkin seems upset that I suggested that the Chief Scientist-Manager at NASA's Langley Research Center might be more qualified than he to discuss UFO's.

Did he really discuss UFOs? It doesn't matter who he is; a theory is not science unless it can be empiracally tested. Has he submitted an article for peer review? Until he does, this doesn't rise above mere speculation.

n2s

Its funny realy, but often what anoys us most about others is what we dislike or even disown about oureselves.

Spiral ;)

Ain't that the truth! I often despise girls for being so beautiful, like me... :p

Please forgive my intrusion. I'm not a cantinista but this is an interesting thread and I just broke up with someone so I need something to get my mind off of that :(

Back in 1970 my family lived in a little town in southern Arizona about an hours drive east of Fort Huachuca. For some reason the Air Force used to fly a large number of training missions down there and it was not uncommon to see Phantoms or even a refueling mission go overhead sometimes at very low altitudes. I remember one time even seeing a jet thread it's way between the 200' stacks of the copper smelter located on the west edge of town. Hueys from the local gaurd unit would also fly through the area as well as the Border Patrols helicopters. My dad and grandpa were both pilots and they would identify the various aircraft that we would see for us kids. Anyway, we were pretty familiar and comfortable with all this stuff and knew what it was.
But one day we saw something we weren't familiar with at all.
My sister saw it first and pointed it out to me. Directly overhead was a white triangular shaped aircraft, hovering without sound, approximately 100 yrds overhead (best guestimate). I think that it wasn't too big maybe the size of an F-16 or a T-38. Like I said it was white but more like a dirty or matte white and on the bottom was a single, pulsing red light. It just sat there stone still and silent until suddenly it took off, literally like a shot, making a broad sweeping turn to the north until we lost sight of it behind some hills about 10 miles to the east.
We kept looking for it and were quickly rewarded by it's return from out of the north, as if it had flown in an oval racetrack pattern to return to its point of origin. It stopped directly over us again and hovered silently. The weird thing was and what began, as I recall, to make me scared was that when this thing stopped it was like watching a cartoon because this aircraft didn't slow down and stop it just went from hauling a** to dead still on a dime, as if there was no inertial forces affecting it at all. I may have only been a kid but even then I knew that wasn't right. It did this several more times, take off and come back and hover, all with no sound and then finally it took off again and never came back.
My sister and I did tell my folks about it but they never believed us and my dad finally told us that he never wanted to hear about it again, which basically ended all discussion right there. I've never seen anything remotely like it since. My sister and I have talked about it a few times over the years but never really did anything about it. I mean, what can you do?
Do I believe that it was aliens? No, I don't. Other than the outrageous flight characteristics of the craft there is no evidence of extraterrestial origin. I don't know what it was or where it was from though my personal inclination is to believe that it was a piece of technology, a test bed, that may have proved to be untenable. Something cooked up in a black budget program that proved too dangerous to follow up on with the current level of supporting technology.
I don't know anything about the scientific method, I studied law and socieology. I do know this though, that despite all the hoaxing that goes on in the UFO community there is a very large body of anecdotal evidence and a smaller body of physical evidence. Enough I believe to merit that research be done in this area at least to determine exactly what is going on, and what the function or purpose of it is. Certainly enough to satisfy a court that an investigation should go forward.
If I can't produce evidence of a phenomena or explain it yet the phenomena still exists does the scientific method declare that it should be ignored? I hope not. Think of some of things that are being witnessed in the exteme reaches of our atmosphere, things which to the best of my knowledge still can't be explained yet, except as some type of plasma discharge. These phenomena have been filmed by shuttle missions and from the international space station. They can't explain them, can't reproduce them, all they have is the same type of anecdotal evidence as is present with UFOs, film and eyewitness testimony. Should it be ignored? Will it be ignored? I think not.
The same should go with the UFO stuff and perhaps maybe it is. Certainly it gets discussed to death but unfortunatly discussion is not research nor does it bring resolution. Most importantly though it shouldn't be dismissed out of hand because you can't park it in a lab and put it in a test tube. I don't know what it was I saw, I don't know what thousands of others have seen but I do know that the phenomena of sightings of unorthodox aircraft exists, say what you will about the individual sightings and the nature of what is seen, the phenomena undeniably exists.

Welcome, Bigun,

are you near the Chirucahas? (bad spelling)

Benaround had a great line about nobody wanting to drive the same car, or spaceship...

With all these sightings, Earth must be a vacation spot for these things..

munk

munk said:
Welcome, Bigun,

are you near the Chirucahas? (bad spelling)

Benaround had a great line about nobody wanting to drive the same car, or spaceship...

With all these sightings, Earth must be a vacation spot for these things..

munk

Thanks for the welcome guys. I used to be from around there Munk but now I'm up in Idaho. There is some really pretty country in and around the Chiricahuas, spent a lot of time up there as a kid and have a lot of good memories.

When I was about seven, my brother and I were playing in the woods behind our house in New Jersey and a low intense hum started to fill the air and then our skin tingled and the hair was standing straight up on our arms. We both saw a long gray metallic object in a cigar shape with a bright colored or glowing tail. The object moved slowly about 100 feet above the ground and after fifteen minutes took off with speed that I have never seen to this day.

The second incident occured when I was about twenty and was a sphere shape that appearred during the afternoon and seemed to look like a disco ball hanging in the air. This object did not move, but faded into and out of sight like something going through a dimensional door.

The third object appeared when I was in my mid twentys and appeared as a dark edge that created a very very huge wake in the clouds at about 40-50,000 feet. This object moved fast but at a rate of a fast jet. I think this was a B2 bomber . I later learned that the B2 can be observed on doppler radar via the wake it creates, ask the Austrialians about this aspect.

UFOs might be experimental aircraft or maybe other beings, only a fool would think we are Gods only creation in a vast universe.

That is my experience on the matter.
Sharks_Edge
Karl B.

I've already related the story about the UFO I saw on the first thread so won't get into it again here again.;)

I do have a funny story though, happened back in my mid thirties.:D
I was out alone down by Salina Oklahoma on a manmade lake up in the hills. The lake was created to make electricity and water is pumped up from a creek and then let out three or four humongous pipes downhill to the creek to generate the power. There's great fishing in the lake and no power boats are allowed so most anyone who wants to fish out in deep water use the little portable boats or the inner tubes with waders and a canvas seat. Being just a poor ol' ndn like most of the local folks there I had to fish from the bank.
And with the lake being just a small lake set in the hills there is no real horizon, just good sized hilltops all around.
I had picked a good spot and had caught a few nice fish and was just setting there waiting for the next bite when I became aware of a faint hum.
I didn't think too much of it being where I was but slowly there appeared above one of the hills a start of a circular like object that slowly kept getting bigger and bigger and the hum kept getting louder and louder!
My first thought was "OH SHlT! It's a Flying Saucer!!!!":eek:
Then I thought, "Oh well hell. I always said I would go willingly if I ever had the chance so I'll just set back and enjoy this."
The object just kept growing until it was a full round like the under side of a saucer shaped craft. I was becoming pretty scared again as it looked more and more real!
But it kept coming and pretty soon I could see that it was more cigar shaped.:eek:
Then over the hill appeared an appendage hanging from the bottom of the cigar shaped object with a couple or so motors with props. IT was The Damned Goodyear Blimp!:eek: :rolleyes:
But for a few moments it scared the livin crap outta me!:D
I mean that thing is Huge when your that close to it. I never realized they flew that thing so low! Hell I could see the crew. If they had known how bad a scare they had put in me for a while they would've been laughing their asses off!:D

Ol' poor mid thirties dumb ass ndn anyway.:rolleyes: :D
Hadn't thought about that in a long time but always have a good laugh when I do.

Reminds me of one Fourth of July, a bunch of us were sitting around smoking some Temple Ball just in from Nepal, when Larry, who was out on the front porch lighting fireworks and eating peaches came tearing through the house with his eyes a big as saucers yelling and waving his arms.

It was hard to make out what he was saying because he had a mouth full of peaches, but it was something like "Blimperscomin..fire all over..get outside quick.."

We followed him out and as soon as we got on the back porch it became obvious why he was so excited. But Doug didn't stop to look up. He charged out the back door, jumped over the fence and landed flat on his back in Mr. Lewis's watermelon patch.

As he opened his eyes, a huge American Flag made up of blinking lights glided overhead followed by a simulated fireworks display on the sides of the blimp. We didn't see him for about an hour. He told us he just had to lay there and let the sweet aroma of those smashed melons bring him back to reality.

Larry was trying to tell us to go outside because the blimp with the fireworks light display was passing overhead, but paranoid Doug heard it differently. He had visions of a gang of giant bikers called the BlimpMen who were coming to kill the hippies and burn down our house.

Some people just shouldn't smoke dope.

Hmm Am I the only one that thinks offing the hippies isnt a bad idea?

brantoken said:
This is america, the hippies got guns too, won't be so easy,
and that is an really lousy comment... not cool at all, not funny either.....uncouth, uncristian, unamerican and unacceptable.

keep it to yourself bud...

Thanks for the help.

Why would you 'off' them?
Far more terrible is their polluted and diluted, distorted and comported philosophy substituted by politicians for reason today.

I wish I'd been a hippie. Maybe I was, but it was too late. I was 18 in 74.

I'd smoke dope in my room and get paranoid the police helicopter was coming to get me. Anaheim had the first helicopter in Ca, and among the first in the US, I think. There were two walnut trees in front of my window and my room was on the second floor of an old Orange Growers house. You'd think I'd feel safe under the circumstances, but I did not.

I could keep track of the helicopter by sound- it buzzed like a hornet. All my friends laughed at this unreasonable fear. But late at night, the helicopter sometimes did fly overhead and scan the trees and my window. The window had to be open to vent the smoke so the parents would not get angrier than they already were. You couldn't hide the smell, and everyone knew in the house and neighborhood, but sending extra wafts of dense pot smoke down the stairs and into the living room where the Old Man sat was like like slapping a bear. Back in those days I was called 'iron lung', so this was no slight smolder.

When I heard the helipcopter nearby I'd close the curtained windows. A few times I didn't get there in time, and they could see into the room. You never knew what might on the floor- a water pipe, whatever. I'm sure they knew what was going on. You could even see the sofa from the sky, so nowhere was safe. Once I nodded off during a fly over. I woke and the damn thing was stationary outside with the lights all pointing my way.

They probably never had the will to prosecute a middle class home with no other problems, but they could look, and intimidate.

I hated that helicopter.

munk

Come on now, cool off...

It's now 40 years since the early '60's, and any hippies still around probably are permanently tripped out or have Alzheimers.

Come to think of it I haven't seen any ex-school buses painted in psychedelic colors and designs in probably over five years. Maybe they've ( the old hippies - now there's an oxymoron for you ) been taken on board the UFO's?

45-70 said:
Hmm Am I the only one that thinks offing the hippies isnt a bad idea?

I hope so! Or I'm in trouble!! Actually like Munk I think I'm too young to be a real hippie but people always call me one.

I know some real ones though, but they all live up the hollow and live off the land now :D

Back