UFOs revisited

http://www.mrsharkey.com/busbarn/rhomes/rhomes.htm

(Edit for Rusty:)

Me And You And A Dog Named Boo

1. I remember to this day the bright red Georgia clay,
How it stuck to the tires after the summer rain.
Will power made that old car go; a woman's mind told me that it's so.
Oh, how I wish we were back on the road again.
chorus:

Me and you and a dog named Boo,
Travellin' and livin' off the land.
How I love bein' a free man.

2. I can still recall the wheat fields of Saint Paul,
And the mornin' we got caught robbin' from an old hen.
Old MacDonald made us work, but then he paid us for what it was worth,
Another tank of gas and back on the road again.

I'll never forget that day we motored stately into big L.A.
The lights of the city put settlin' down in my brain.
Though it's only been a month or so, that old car's buggin' us to go.
You gotta get away and get back on the road again.

Kismet,

Very cool. I have a friend who lives in a bus. She used to travel in it but she drove it up a ridge and it is now stationary, with additions. It's not as elaborate as that one but it's pretty nice. My friend and her ex husband used to be disciples of the Maharaji and her ex was his airplane mechanic. They lived in his ashrams and when he closed the ashrams they were on the road and somehow she ended up here. Her bus isn't psychedelic but it is wood paneled and has clouds painted on the ceiling :D

Kismet, I'm astounded.

To have a thread start on UFO's and end up on hippies is not unheard of - the forum just seems to do stuff like that when it's perkolating along. But that link of yours has to be the cherry on top of the whipped cream and nuts on the banana split. ;) ;) :D

"Those were the days, oh yes, those were the days..."

Those rolling homes are beautiful, but they had nothing to do with a true "Hippie" lifestyle. We felt blessed if we found a discarded tire beside the road that we could get a few miles out of. Building and living in one of those palaces just wouldn't fit with the prevailing philosophy of living a simple life and treading lightly on the earth.

Ben...

Of course, you're right. But there's no ONE truth about that culture that is now referred to as "hippy." The fantasies, as usual, far exceed the realities.

For each conjecture, or experience of the times, there were and are conflicting or contradictory, yet equally true experiences.

Politicized youth, vagabonding youth, drugged out youth, kids who just wanted "out," and many serious young people who truly thought they could live lives that were simpler, better, and healthier for the world and the next generations--all existed simultaneously and separate from the others' realities. Inheritances of vast wealth were spent by some; others scraped by doing odd jobs, and in some cases, on welfare rolls.

From Ken Kesey's acid world to the fantasy of Easy Rider vignette, from Woodstocks' legend to Woodstock's reality...no thing is ONE thing.

ROLLING HOMES is a great pictoral tour of custom built truck living units, from pick-ups to milk vans with VW buses welded on top. It was done by an architectural student from Oregon, as I remember, who went on to be a successful architect in San Francisco. But it is beautifully photographed, and as in the case in that link, has some schematics on the work done.

There's a "gypsy" wagon pickup that was a dream of mine shown in the book.

Peace.
:D

Kis

I lived in Santa Cruz Ca during the early 70's and can tell you the 'hippies' lived mobile in droves. A battalion of vehicles all over Ca. It was so bad new ordinances were passed across the State in all sorts of communities to prevent parking. They gradually faded away. Too bad. I liked them.

munk

I remember an old book called Woodstock Handmade Houses that had some pretty trippy dwellings in it. I spent many an hour looking through that book. I wish I still had a copy of it. No wonder I ended up in a dome as an adult. Anyway, a lot of the homes in that book were very warm, and that's the predominant impression I get from the rolling homes in Kismet's link. Very liveable, human dwellings. Good stuff.

--Josh

Livable, human dwellings. Life could be so good if we'd let it.
Speaking for me- if I'd let it.

munk

Kismet said:
..Politicized youth, vagabonding youth, drugged out youth, kids who just wanted "out," and many serious young people who truly thought they could live lives that were simpler, better, and healthier for the world and the next generations--all existed simultaneously and separate from the others' realities. Inheritances of vast wealth were spent by some; others scraped by doing odd jobs, and in some cases, on welfare rolls.

True, I think that's one of the reasons that time in our cultural history is so significant. It was truly a coming together of diverse elements. Regardless of a person's background, there was a shared understanding and a feeling of brotherhood. Of course many times this shared understanding was little more than a "peaceful easy feeling" and a ritually shared joint, but compared with the fragmentation and discord of todays society, even that seems like a major loss.

Kismet said:
...ROLLING HOMES is a great pictoral tour of custom built truck living units, from pick-ups to milk vans with VW buses welded on top..
My wife and I were mobile for several years during that period and came across many types of modified vehicles. Some were truly works of art, others were straight out of "The Grapes of Wrath".

Our vehicle was a 1964 VW delivery van. I built it into a living unit with sleeping, storage, and cooking space. As you can imagine, organization and efficient space utilization were the prime considerations. Many people compared it to a very small boat with a cabin, berth, and galley, but from the outside it was just a regular old VW van. This was important to us as we felt that maintaining a low profile was a requisite to our freedom of movement in and among spaces that may not have been friendly if we presented a larger and more obvious presence.

Back