Ugh Ironwood !

Well I just got thru making my first Ironwood knife handle , I am refurbing an old Ka-Bar camp knife (beater).
And let me say that if there is a more Godawful stench on this planet than hot Ironwood , I dont know what it could be !!! :barf: :eek:

Yea it looks good and is solid as steel but man... I finished 1.5 hours ago and washed up and still cant get that funky odor outta my schnoz... :barf:

Somebody get me a Doc....

:D

I hear you to me it stinks like sh!t but looks good
Sam Fogler

H-m-m-m, Ironwood smells like money to me. It's one of my favorites. On the second market it's number one for holding it's value as far as woods go.

It's density and natural stability make it high on my list. My other favorites are Lignum Vitae and African Blackwood. Problem is, they don't have the beauty of a piece of presentation grade Arizona Desert Ironwood.

As far as stink factor, I find stag, bone , and Asian Water Buffalo to be much worse.

deer antler makes me gag. I about tossed my cookies the first time I tried sanding it. :barf:

The worst I have ever used has to be bullhorn. I have used buffalo and antler quite a bit but bullhorn Stinks to high heaven. I had to have a bath wash all my hair and have a good scrub and all my shop clothes had to go in the wash and I had to leave the doors of my shop open for a day or two. :barf:

Kudu. It's beautiful stuff but working with "kudu stew" so it will be flexible to be put in a vise to be flattened into slabs can make you go gag. I call it voodoo Kudu :eek: :D

Ironwood smells bad, but the smell I really hate is G10. Each nose to its own I guess! :D

Folks I m bowmaker by trade and I work tropical woods all the time.
Basically you have 2 choices. Wood that stinks as **** and wood that is toxic. Either one. OOOh I have forgotten - that one which stinks AND is toxic! :D

Working with horn it really depends what the animal ate. Cows which have grown on meadows and had plenty of natural nourishment have horn which doesnt smell badly when ground. Ones fed on suplements have bad one....
:barf:

Jaroslav

hawkwind said:
Folks I m bowmaker by trade and I work tropical woods all the time.
Basically you have 2 choices. Wood that stinks as **** and wood that is toxic. Either one. OOOh I have forgotten - that one which stinks AND is toxic! :D

Working with horn it really depends what the animal ate. Cows which have grown on meadows and had plenty of natural nourishment have horn which doesnt smell badly when ground. Ones fed on suplements have bad one....
:barf:

Jaroslav
Please forgive me for quoting this hawkwind but anything that has come out of Africa has had a gamey smell to it when you work with this handle material...why doesn't Ivory have a smell? Vegetarians perhaps like elephants, water buffalo, stag from India didn't have a smell ( but missed) so you may have a point. What are Kudus eating? :confused: :eek:

Can you tell me how you finish the wood.

I assume you mean Ironwood ? Some folks just sand it 1500 or so and buff , does quite well from what I hear , I took mine to 1500 and used tung oil and a towel several times until it got a gloss to it but doesnt look finished , if that makes sense... Not having a buffer , dont have many other choices :)

Back