Ugliest Traditionals

@waverave Glad you were able to make something of that hideous knife! Seeing that rotten salmon peanut and the resultant dye job, figured I show my two forays into dyeing knife covers. I can’t bring myself to attempt hot or even close to boiling water on a knife so I tried alternative methods with permanent results.

The first was a GEC yellow rose 76. Soaked for a day with black Procion MX fiber reactive dye (colorfast cotton dye). Found out it had a blue base and this was the result.

zl6w7m.jpg

That dye caused staining on the blades so I tried using Fiebings oil dye for leather. Excellent results with no corrosion on the knife. It does take a looong soak for dark colors and I’m assuming the dye will absorb unevenly creating a mottled effect but I find it attractive.

Before
2unvz1t.jpg

al2986.jpg

After about 60 hours soaking in medium brown and yellow.
34xknzt.jpg

66lywz.jpg

I just might soak all of my ‘autumn gold’ bone knives now.

Steve,

Thanks for reporting on your attempts at dying bone. :cool::thumbsup: The Yellow Rose experiment falls into the "nothing ventured, nothing gained" category, I suppose. :rolleyes: But the new coloring of the autumn gold knife is a vast improvement IMHO! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: I love that rich brown result! :) It reminds me of one of my favorite Rough Rider covers, smooth tobacco bone. Here's an example:
tobacco.mark.closed.shoe.jpg

- GT

I used to be that way too ... just curious if this mod might change your mind about the muskrat (the ratcliffe version transformed my opinion of the muskrat from one I never even wanted to one of my all time fave patterns) ?

LK2YBby.jpg
That's no longer a muskrat. Still, I would pass.

1. Leg shaped knives
2. GEC acrylics(most acrylics actually)
3. The GEC Trapper with pocketclip and thumbstud; I appreciate the modernizsation effort but that's not the way to do it.
And lots of other things :D
Also: I've once seen a trapper with integrated hammer :D That wasn't exactly a beautiful thing

I agree about the Leg Knives, absurd eyesores:D that manage to insult ladies,legs and knives:eek::D

Congress, the full ones, I'm pretty dubious about too: bulky,clumsy,blade duplication and uncomfortable in the hand:thumbsdown:

Acrylics are very OK but metal handled knives? Very much not:poop: Folding table cutlery and slippery as an eel:D:eek:

Stupid blade etchings are horribly Ugly. Example would be the number of rough riders that have stuff like "Red Pick Bone" on it....we can see the handles, bro. Also, their Gold Rush would have been fantastic if it didn't have that weird quote on the blade.

Even tastefully done etchings bother me, but those two in particular annoy me to the point of a Sam Kinnison style rant.

View attachment 999824 View attachment 999816 This knife is called a quill knife and the one handed opener ears were patented in 1892.

Not my knife or pics. It is pretty ugly.
Well ... so much for "Thumb Studs aren't Traditional ..."

EDIT:
I still don't want one on my knives.

If I'm "banned for life" now, so be it.
Just need a little clarification, please:
Who's life? Mine or the person who banned me?

Last edited:
Back