1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Ugliest Traditionals

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jday2727, Nov 7, 2016.

1. supratentorial

supratentorial

Dec 19, 2006
    fainting-animated-photo.gif

[email protected] likes this.
  2. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Another knife I forgot about is the lady leg knife, and the ones that are just a shoe.
    Those are just ridiculous, the leg has more use as a knife but I can't stand anything with an integral bottle opener ( if it holds away it can be forgotten about and is fine )

3. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    It's funny you mention it. I have a red Case trapper that my wife and daughter got me. I love it to pieces, but man is red bone ugly to me. I keep meaning to do a tea soak on it, but i kinda hate to alter it too much since it really was an earnest gift.

4. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    I'm about to embark on a project to rescale mine. They just look so mass production. As exciting as a Corolla.

5. Sword and Shield

Sword and Shield

Apr 3, 2004
    Legs, of basically all forms. Nothing can be done in my eyes to make them less hideous.

Two-bladed one arm knives. Queen makes one that is perfectly fine if you only use the razor, but if not, it's incredibly uncomfortable.

6. abcdef

abcdef

Oct 28, 2005
    French Kate and Templar come to mind. Swinguard.

7. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    I'd forgotten about the Templar! :D

8. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Not Simon Templar? ;):D

Yes, that Swinguard hits the spot....:eek:

9. RDaneel

RDaneel Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 23, 2000
    I agree on the French Kate; the blade seems like an afterthought and even with ivory covers it still looks gross.

The Templar, on the other hand, is weird but seems to have a bit of medieval charm.

10. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    LOL! :D :thumbup:

11. Gevonovich

Gevonovich Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Diversity is the key to life! Now...I need a candy cane vintage Ulster Knife Co. French Kate...Amen

12. Rookie82

Rookie82 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 25, 2014
    I don't like the lady leg knives. They're not appealing to me at all.

13. W.M.B.

W.M.B.

Oct 11, 2013
    Those imperial jacks with the hollow sheet metal scales wrapped in whatever print media. Also hollow bolstered barlows.

14. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Enough to gag a maggot!!:eek:
    :thumbdn:

15. supratentorial

supratentorial

Dec 19, 2006
    Can I add Rough Rider et al to the list?

Probably one of the most iconic and widely recognized knives. An example with red cellidor covers is even in MoMA (Museum of Modern Art). But in addition to the red cellidor, there are other colors (opaque or transluscent), prints, alox, wood, buffalo horn, stag, pearl, sterling, gold, and even diamond encrusted. ;)

16. bflying

bflying Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 4, 2014
    I've given a few of these away as gag or white elephant gifts. Don't get me wrong, I love Barlow's. But a 5" granddaddy with "Happy Birthday" on both sides? [emoji16]

[​IMG]

•••••••••••••••

Sent from my mind....using Tap-a-Thought. (tm)

17. bt93

bt93

May 12, 2015
    Just to set things right, the Trestle Pines is a fine looker with the right handle color.
    [​IMG]

Okay, it's not an out right beauty, but it's built to be used.

18. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    Still boring as heck though.

19. btb01

btb01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    I'd have to agree with this one. I like the Trestle Pines concept, and the woods they use are beautiful, but on each of the folders they've made so far, there's just something aesthetically off-putting to me. (I think the Portage might be my least favorite, with its drop point blade that slopes into and disappears between the scales at the tip, necessitating an EO notch that doesn't seem particularly easy to open, and a very oddly placed nail nick.)

The ugliest traditional I own would probably be this GEC Tidioute #18 Coyote in camo acrylic.

[​IMG]

The camo acrylic is a bit goofy, and I agree with the criticism others had when this knife first came out, that the wharncliffe doesn't really fit the pattern. That being said, I do like this knife. It's nice and small, and the little wharncliffe takes a crazy sharp edge. It's great for opening mail/packages, and it'll disappear in a pocket.

Of course, Case has some pretty ugly knives out there, too. Cotton Candy jigged bone, anyone? :D

[​IMG]

20. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Is the question about ugly patterns, or ugly individual knives? Or knives you know are ugly, but you kind of like them anyway?

What's not to like? :D

[​IMG]

If we're having an Ugly Knife contest, I'll have to dig out pictures of one that will have everyone beat. I no longer have the knife, since it was so ugly I had to avert my eyes whilst returning it to the vendor. :barf: :D