Ugliest Traditionals

Another knife I forgot about is the lady leg knife, and the ones that are just a shoe.
Those are just ridiculous, the leg has more use as a knife but I can't stand anything with an integral bottle opener ( if it holds away it can be forgotten about and is fine )

This Frost trapper:

ZMqGpc.jpg

Nothing wrong with the knife itself, but I can't stand the color. I think I'll see if I can't come up with a potion of black tea, beet juice and squid ink to darken it up a bit.

It's funny you mention it. I have a red Case trapper that my wife and daughter got me. I love it to pieces, but man is red bone ugly to me. I keep meaning to do a tea soak on it, but i kinda hate to alter it too much since it really was an earnest gift.

Legs, of basically all forms. Nothing can be done in my eyes to make them less hideous.

Two-bladed one arm knives. Queen makes one that is perfectly fine if you only use the razor, but if not, it's incredibly uncomfortable.

I'd forgotten about the Templar! :D

I agree on the French Kate; the blade seems like an afterthought and even with ivory covers it still looks gross.

The Templar, on the other hand, is weird but seems to have a bit of medieval charm.

Diversity is the key to life! Now...I need a candy cane vintage Ulster Knife Co. French Kate...Amen

I don't like the lady leg knives. They're not appealing to me at all.

Those imperial jacks with the hollow sheet metal scales wrapped in whatever print media. Also hollow bolstered barlows.

Not everyone sees things in the same way, the 'beauty' of my old WW2 army clasp knives is, I imagine, lost on many people, whereas I found the Trestle Pines Grand Portage, which seemed popular, spectacularly unattractive.

DSC_4033.jpg

Enough to gag a maggot!!:eek:
:thumbdn:

Can I add Rough Rider et al to the list?

I'm about to embark on a project to rescale mine. They just look so mass production. As exciting as a Corolla.

Probably one of the most iconic and widely recognized knives. An example with red cellidor covers is even in MoMA (Museum of Modern Art). But in addition to the red cellidor, there are other colors (opaque or transluscent), prints, alox, wood, buffalo horn, stag, pearl, sterling, gold, and even diamond encrusted. ;)

I've given a few of these away as gag or white elephant gifts. Don't get me wrong, I love Barlow's. But a 5" granddaddy with "Happy Birthday" on both sides? [emoji16]

28khnvq.jpg

•••••••••••••••

Sent from my mind....using Tap-a-Thought. (tm)

Just to set things right, the Trestle Pines is a fine looker with the right handle color.
ZeRfpSr.jpg

Okay, it's not an out right beauty, but it's built to be used.

Probably one of the most iconic and widely recognized knives. An example with red cellidor covers is even in MoMA (Museum of Modern Art). But in addition to the red cellidor, there are other colors (opaque or transluscent), prints, alox, wood, buffalo horn, stag, pearl, sterling, gold, and even diamond encrusted. ;)

Still boring as heck though.

Not everyone sees things in the same way, the 'beauty' of my old WW2 army clasp knives is, I imagine, lost on many people, whereas I found the Trestle Pines Grand Portage, which seemed popular, spectacularly unattractive.

DSC_4033.jpg

I'd have to agree with this one. I like the Trestle Pines concept, and the woods they use are beautiful, but on each of the folders they've made so far, there's just something aesthetically off-putting to me. (I think the Portage might be my least favorite, with its drop point blade that slopes into and disappears between the scales at the tip, necessitating an EO notch that doesn't seem particularly easy to open, and a very oddly placed nail nick.)

The ugliest traditional I own would probably be this GEC Tidioute #18 Coyote in camo acrylic.

FBB9D90F-9DE1-45A0-B717-A891A09E18C9.jpg

The camo acrylic is a bit goofy, and I agree with the criticism others had when this knife first came out, that the wharncliffe doesn't really fit the pattern. That being said, I do like this knife. It's nice and small, and the little wharncliffe takes a crazy sharp edge. It's great for opening mail/packages, and it'll disappear in a pocket.

Of course, Case has some pretty ugly knives out there, too. Cotton Candy jigged bone, anyone? :D

11706.jpg

Is the question about ugly patterns, or ugly individual knives? Or knives you know are ugly, but you kind of like them anyway?

What's not to like? :D

If we're having an Ugly Knife contest, I'll have to dig out pictures of one that will have everyone beat. I no longer have the knife, since it was so ugly I had to avert my eyes whilst returning it to the vendor. :barf: :D

Back