Ugliest Traditionals

Not everyone sees things in the same way, the 'beauty' of my old WW2 army clasp knives is, I imagine, lost on many people, whereas I found the Trestle Pines Grand Portage, which seemed popular, spectacularly unattractive.

DSC_4033.jpg

now that i like

This Buck inspired Chinese lockback, simply because the original pattern has not much appeal to me (just my pov), BUT it was given to me by a late Cousin the last time we met, so impossible to get rid of it.
Gyuri.jpg

Actually, that appears to be inspired by Gerber. The Gerber's were nice knives.

Here's a picture I pulled off the web.
gersp1-300x252.jpg

I'm torn. I just got done perusing the Shepherd Hills X-mas catalogue. So many to choose from, I am literally at a loss for words..... :barf:

I like GEC's #65 and have collected a fair amount of them. I never thought I'd be a fan of acrylic handles but now I have a few of them as well. The one handle material I can't get my head around is GEC's Primitive bone. It just doesn't look good to me. I bought a #65 with Primitive bone, thinking that it had to look better than the pictures but my first instinct was right....just plain ugly.

This knife is grotesque, but it makes me smile.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

I am unfamiliar with the maker, but he has undeniable skills.

This knife is grotesque, but it makes me smile.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

I am unfamiliar with the maker, but he has undeniable skills.

I'm pretty sure I'd cut my finger off within an hour of owning it.

No doubt about the skills however.

Clay

That image is making me wonder what was in my coffee this morning!

That'd be a pretty good looking knife if it didn't have that ridiculous curve in it. At least in theory....one blade, stag handle, clip point....sign me up :thumbup:

The more I learn about the history of the various patterns, the more I've come to appreciate them, and many have gone from 'ugly' to beautiful for me. I still have not warmed up to the 'Texas Toothpick' or 'Elephants Toenail' though.

Last edited:
Texas toothpicks have never clicked with me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMO; Elephant Toe Knives! they look like constipated traditionals to me, and when you open the blade, thats all that's been being held in coming out.

I'm with ya...blade is so small and thin I'd be afraid to use it for anything

Same with the handle. And that long bolster on the butt really just erks me. Aside from that, from what i've seen people who like that pattern have massive amounts of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back