Ugly Betty? I don't think so-

I think S/K! needs a new description for their factory 2cds!
The 1st gen seconds maybe, but on a lot of these 2cd gen knives I have been really hard pressed to find a flaw.
The fit and finish quality on any of my 2cds is still better than most of my other brand top shelf stuff.
Thanks Guy and Ellie for offering these Beautiful Betty factory 2cds.
PICT0996_zpsx87vvein.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I agree but if you peruse other subforums you will notice how scrutinous people can be, almost as if they're looking for, practically manufacturing, any minute 'flaw' they can perceive. and then the dogpile of posts proclaiming the unacceptable injustice. I understand why s!k would want to avoid this. my new 2nd has a peen finish that isn't as good as my 5.1 and the scales have a few imperfections but to call the knife a factory second is a little extreme. I guess if one never planned on using the knife and wanted a show piece they'd have a gripe but that isn't what these blades are for.

Ageed rxavage, I guess what I was trying to get across is that as Guy has been perfecting his skills the quality gap between the 1st and 2cd knives is becoming less and less.
Not 100% perfect but 99% is sure been good enough for me.

Knives are in a funny spot between tools and collector items. Does anyone collect hammers or shovels to display? Does anyone buy collector coins or stamps and actually use them?

The customer base for knives can be on far ends of the user/collector spectrum or anywhere in between!

Nice....
How bout a close up of that purty polished edge on the Jade handled 5.1?
Wicked Edge sharpener?
Water Stones?

Good eye zakjak221-
Yeah that 1st gen 5.1 in 20cv had light markings and some edge grind issues that made it a 2cd.
When I got it I had a FB forum member do the wicked edge treatment on it- fixed it right up and then some.
Will work on a few pics-

Knives are in a funny spot between tools and collector items. Does anyone collect hammers or shovels to display? Does anyone buy collector coins or stamps and actually use them?

The customer base for knives can be on far ends of the user/collector spectrum or anywhere in between!

That is a very valid point. Not everyone appreciates 'functional art.'

Ageed rxavage, I guess what I was trying to get across is that as Guy has been perfecting his skills the quality gap between the 1st and 2cd knives is becoming less and less.
Not 100% perfect but 99% is sure been good enough for me.

They're closing the gap for sure. The two new gen 5.1s seconds I got were just flat great IMO. The absolute only flaw was that the grind lines on the flats were a bit too coarse for the peened finish to remove completely. I almost couldn't get it to show up for the pic in the sales thread.

I think Guy is doing an oustandong job. The first gen were rather rough. Not bad at all but coming from CRK I have high standards.

My latest 5.1 is a factory first and it's outstanding. I wrote a post about how far Guy has come.

The only reason I want firsts only is I want to support Guy in his quest for perfection and a big part of what I admire is his dedication to it. Once I nail down a favourite model I will have no problem buying a 2nd of that model to use as a beater. Everyone needs a knife they can shove into the ground.

I will have no problem putting some models I like less into the safe and look at them down the road. I think they will be a little bit of a collectors item in the future. No one is doing what Guy is doing as well as he is. No one.

I'm going to have to disagree with you here! I mean when you look at......well, I mean there's............... OK, but what about................. nevermind, you have a good point :D

There are some close behind I agree, but not as good. In my mind Guy is doing in 5 years what Chris Reeve did in 12-15. I think Guy's opportunity to blow up will be his folder. That is what I am most excited to see. Im in no rush, but his skill level is getting where it needs to be to make it happen. But the machinery cost, wow, that's gonna be one hell of a starter.

There are some close behind I agree, but not as good. In my mind Guy is doing in 5 years what Chris Reeve did in 12-15. I think Guy's opportunity to blow up will be his folder. That is what I am most excited to see. Im in no rush, but his skill level is getting where it needs to be to make it happen. But the machinery cost, wow, that's gonna be one hell of a starter.

I'm in full agreement that SURVIVE! is one of a kind and leading the way in most of what they do.

As I commented on the new quality of seconds in another thread it made me wonder about their new processes and all things that Guy has direct control over in the shop now if seconds may be able to be phased out. It seems like reasoning for seconds recently is better than some firsts of the last generation. I know Guy keeps his standards redonkulously high, but the seconds are just so much better now.

Well said Silver Needle-
I am guessing there will be fewer and fewer 2cds as time goes by, maybe extra when a new production model comes out until the bugs are worked out.
As more of the production steps are done in house, quality can be maintained to very high standards.

I'm in full agreement that SURVIVE! is one of a kind and leading the way in most of what they do.

As I commented on the new quality of seconds in another thread it made me wonder about their new processes and all things that Guy has direct control over in the shop now if seconds may be able to be phased out. It seems like reasoning for seconds recently is better than some firsts of the last generation. I know Guy keeps his standards redonkulously high, but the seconds are just so much better now.

From what I have seen so far, almost all the surface imperfections are extremely small and shallow. If he planned around a lapping machine post grind, he could pretty much reduce those to nothing.

Maybe that is on his Christmas list?

Now that there are actual Ugly Betty's here is a good place to show them.
BTW 4.7's in 3v and 20cv have just been listed.

Just received an ugly betty 5 and 4,7 cfv and I still don't think they are very ugly!
PICT1153_zpsergsrzk1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Any flaws at all on the them? Bevel, grind, anything? There has to be a reason they're ugly betty's.

Edit: The jimping on the CFV looks a little off in the photo. No?

Back