UK Customs

How bad are UK customs (UKBA) about locking folders in checked luggage at major airports?

I know it’s a no go to carry locking folders mostly and some like autos are illegal to have, how far does this (in practice) extend to regular locking folders in terms of bag searches etc? Was planning on taking a Delica or mini grip to keep in my room.

Planning to visit and just want to know in advance so as to not run a foul of the letter or spirit of their law.

Been to the UK several times, and had a couple of conversations with locals and what I thought were kindred spirits...My general impression was leave anything that has a sharpened edge back in the USA. If you had to use anything like a knife ( much less a purpose designed “combat” or survival knife) to defend yourself, your stay in the UK could be much longer than planned and more costly than you could imagine. Anything that smacks of either a defensive or offensive weapon other than a bare fist will get the immediate attention of the authorities. And, you WILL be observed and videotaped. London and even many of the smaller towns are saturated with security cameras. One of the locals related his son ran afoul of the authorities because he used a Stanley retractable blade carpet cutter to open a plastic pack of batteries. This was on the outskirts of London where his son was working on a building renovation project. He had just purchased the batteries, and was having trouble getting them free of the “theft proof” clear plastic pack. He was standing in a open area, no-one else around, and was waiting on a bus to arrive. He remembered he still had the Stanley knife in his pocket having just left his job site where he had been laying carpet. Surveillance camera “observed his being armed with an edged weapon”. Translation: He pulled the knife out of his pocket and opened the batteries, then returned the knife to his pocket. His Dad said police were there within a couple of minutes, detained him overnight, and the legal costs were staggering. He was very worried his son would have a felony-level record that would follow him for the rest of his life. My wife had her eyebrow curler “whatever” (know you’ve seen them, a little clamp- like device with two sicissors-like handles .....no blade anywhere at all) confiscated at Gatwick AP on the way out. The Security Inspector hit a button and there were 3 or 4 Security employees there within seconds. The eyebrow curlers were confiscated and we were questioned. Glad we were early for our departure.
Brits just don’t like anything that cuts or shoots, from my observations. Might be different in other parts, but according to what I heard, it’s not. Be careful.

Locking blades are fine if you have a reason for having one like perhaps hiking.

But crossing any International boundary is serious business. If you really must pack a blade in your stowed luggage I'd say an average sized fixed blade would be much less of an issue.

Just going on what I was told. What I based that comment on was a conversation where I did ask about a Leatherman type combo tool, where one or more folding knife blades lock in place when extended, as they are pretty handy to have at hand. Guy I was conversing with told me that was a real no-no and ploy had been tried by local hooligans as a way to carry a concealed weapon. ( I believe I could have chosen something that wouldn’t be so slow to get into action, but...)

I also got the impression that (1.) it depended on the location and how much knives carried by individuals had been used “incorrectly” there, and (2.) what situation the “bearer of the blade” presented to whomever was peering at a video monitor or witnessed in person. I remembered after I posted the comments that a Stanley retractible blade “carpet cutter” has been favored by the jackals that go to the championship Soccer matches for fighting. Maybe that’s what triggered the interseption of that fellow’s son. I don’t know.

I watch a few “Bushcraft” vids on YouTube. A few are set in the UK. I notice most everyone that is out primitive camping has a very sturdy belt knife. I assume these are kept in the car trunk with the gear until time to go to the woods. I would think any authority that came upon someone’s campsite and took stock of the situation would realize the knife on the bushcrafter’s belt, though large and semi-pointed, was simply a tool. UK Police always impressed me as being well trained and very professional.

I did take my 50+ ( yep, I’m an old geezer) year old Swiss Army knife with it’s 14+ tools over in my checked baggage. I carried it daily as I have since receiving it from Dad for my 12th Christmas. I used it several times during our visits for utility purposes and no one batted an eye. A Victorinox or Wagner Swiss Army knife is pretty well recognized everywhere and is non-threatening in appearance. I was very careful to make sure it went back in my toiletry bag in my checked baggage when we flew out.

But the eyelash tweezer “thingy” was a real puzzle. ( pun unintentional) Never could figure how that would be contraband. It WAS in my wife’s carry-on as was some basic make-up items, along with emery boards, etc. One never knows if your main baggage might take a long flight in the opposite direction and you better be prepared to live out of that carry-on for who knows how long.....

Guess it depends on the location, appearance, with some judgement by the LEP on the scene.

Back