UK knife law possible massive loophole

The UK classifies lock knives as 'have blades that can be locked and refolded only by pressing a button' lock knives are illegal to carry for no good reason btw

Does this mean that only compression locks, button locks, or maybe the axis lock family/ball bearing lock family are banned? Could it be possible to argue the legality of a frame/ liner lock? Could it be.

P. S. I got the quote from the UK government website 'selling buying or carrying knives' section.

The actual laws go on to define locking as anything that isn’t immediately foldable.

Given the current anti knife climate and rampant knife crime in the UK, I would highly discourage trying to find a “loophole”...many are now in support for mandatory prison/jail time on possession alone (which is possible). Carrying a lock knife illegally in the UK carries up to 4 years in prison.

The actual laws go on to define locking as anything that isn’t immediately foldable.

Given the current anti knife climate and rampant knife crime in the UK, I would highly discourage trying to find a “loophole”...many are now in support for mandatory prison/jail time on possession alone (which is possible). Carrying a lock knife illegally in the UK carries up to 4 years in prison.
Definitely not a good time to be a knife owner in the UK. Hopefully when the whole knife crime/gang violence thing begins to decline, things will go back to being more reasonable there.

Definitely not a good time to be a knife owner in the UK. Hopefully when the whole knife crime/gang violence thing begins to decline, things will go back to being more reasonable there.
It won’t, this has been the law since the 1980s, the explosion of the Somali community in east London has really driven the knife crime, the community leaders are doing the best they can but many young men simply don’t care.

Ownership by adults of anything except autos is legal however.

by gravity knives i mean knives like the paragon warlock, not another name for balisongs

An Opinel that uses a collar to lock the blade open with gets around the wording of the law, but honestly, you shouldn't be looking for loopholes. If you have a real (generally work or hunting sport related) reason to be carrying a locking knife then that is plenty.

UK knife laws are insane. I’m a collector and every time I buy one I have to make sure it’s not locking and under 3” and even then one of the recent ones I wouldn’t feel happy carrying, it was sold as a modified to comply with UK carry laws so they removed the locking part and put some other kind of mechanism in place but it’s stiff to close. I rarely carry one but when I do it’s tiny and is more for opening packaging than anything.

An Opinel that uses a collar to lock the blade open with gets around the wording of the law, but honestly, you shouldn't be looking for loopholes. If you have a real (generally work or hunting sport related) reason to be carrying a locking knife then that is plenty.
You may have a good reason but not everyone is seen equally in the eyes of the law also not all police know the law

Back