Ultimate H.I. Kukri Khonvention - ideas and suggestions: what/where/when

I say Reno-take it easy on the Lady. However, if this is to be THE ONE, let's pipe dream a little- how about getting Bura or Sher over here for some live forging demonstrations? I know it could be expensive, but how much it would cost I have no idea-maybe we could all pitch in.

john k

awesome suggestion, John!

A live forging demo by Bura would be intense...

Reno would be good for Yangdu, and therefore should be a top choice . . .

I would throw out Salt Lake City as an option . . . it's a 6 hour drive from Reno, and is a hub for Delta, Southwest, and Jet-blue, so airfare could be cheap.

And if you do it in the winter (after Thanksgiving, and before May) you can ski on the greatest snow on earth!

well, if it aint new york, where there's plenty to do, then yeah, looks like reno or vegas would be good. if it's in vegas i'm gonna take a pit stop at ed roman guitars.

Reno would be good for Yangdu, and therefore should be a top choice . . .

I would throw out Salt Lake City as an option . . . it's a 6 hour drive from Reno, and is a hub for Delta, Southwest, and Jet-blue, so airfare could be cheap.

And if you do it in the winter (after Thanksgiving, and before May) you can ski on the greatest snow on earth!

Salt Lake City/Provo area works well for me too. :D We have lots of nice snow right now and in the summer there are awesome places to have an outdoor Khonvention. Reno would also be cool. ;)

There is a perfect place up the canyon for camping, hiking, shooting and so forth. If we did something here in Utah I'd help organize it, cook and so on.

Strobengh, do you live in the SLC area? I'm down in Provo.

Heber

Reno is a great choice. Yangdu should be considered before all else. I also love the idea of getting a kami over here.
DanR

one question on the travel, obviously we'd like to bring some khuks with us, for show and tell, or trade, or ...

how to get them there with the current restrictions in place for flying? i can't imagine carry-on luggage with 20 lbs or MORE of cutlery is going to amuse the TSA... you will for sure attract attention, if not lose a few pieces ...

someone recently told me of him trying to bring home a LOG he found of nice wood, and they wanted to see if it was hollow so they pretty much split it in half with an axe. geez. pretty much ruined the piece. i've also been hearing reports from friends of extra aggressive handling... things broken that had been WELL packed.

ship ahead? ship back? tricksie. lots of work for someone. drive? stuck up here in new england, driving to reno would be a long one - also, what's the regs on interstate travel with a dozen khuks? they going to get you for "intent to distribute to zombies?" mmm.

just a thought, i don't know the answers.

but khonvention! someone has to bring the bader III, sharpening party :)

bladite

It has to be Reno if you want a Big Box O' Blems.

Doubt I could get there, but my heart would be...

Thank you for the suggestions of ultimate HI Khukuri khonvention. Let us see where the majority would like to have show and where than we can make some definite plans. Please send your choice of location and date to Dan.

Whereever it is I wont be able to afford it this year unless its in Victoria/Vancouver, ah being a poor student. Some year I will make it some year.

chopathon? get a sponsor for every inch of wood you chop through!

chop out? khuk vs khuk, or khuk vs leading production choppers! we can place bets and a percentage goes back to the forum/nepal.

maybe an etching/polishing/sharpening table? If I make it i'm pretty good at woodburning if anyone wants a design custom burned on a handle or scabbard.

i'm always being told to make money with my art. i usually respond with something like "why does everything have to be about money?"

well, after the recent depletion spike of funds on knives, i'm more open to the idea.

For the ultimate Khon, Reno. That's where the first one was held, and Reno is as close as you can get to HI without a ticket to Nepal. I don't have a preference for the time of year, just as long as I can get time off from work.

Bob

Reno works for me. Any time of year that doesn't include snowchains to get there from Silicon Valley.

Back