Ultimate H.I. Kukri Khonvention - ideas and suggestions: what/where/when

Reno...So Yangdu does not have to travel, I hate to fly so I would not make her do it...+ many things to do before and after the Khon in Reno, good places to eat (the Atlantis had an excellent buffet as many times as I have eaten there) , good places to stay

RENO

:thumbup:

+ I wana race Norm over the Donner Pass..

:D

What Sweet said! We were supposed to have it last April in Reno anyway, remember? And Gin wrote that it got canceled because so much was going on at the time.

I know that makes it tough for the guys in the East, but we're overdue! ;) :D

Ben, sounds good to me! My car has been the shop for the last week getting new mods, so I'll give you a run for it. (PI 3000 stall torque converter, meziere electric water pump, Art Carr trans rebuild & pan, rear engine cooling mod, tune etc., etc. Then next week to San Jose for a Dyno tune and tires.)

Norm

Well...I'm not really a kukri fan.

Although someone did once promise to 'cut me up' with one (that's a story...)!

But even I would have to pay attention to a get together like this!

Good luck planning it...of course, I'd be more excited by an East Coast venue.

How far would you guys be willing to travel?
(open question to anybody)

Personally, I have no problems flying anywhere short of Nepal. I do think Reno would

be best because of the availability of low cost flights and hotel facilities,and it is

HI central. The main thing is wherever it is I am looking forward to learning really

cool stuff and hanging around with a great group of truly wierd people:p

How about Reno this year and Atlanta next year, if Yangdu can get a table or share one or something like that. That way we can get both crowds satisfied. And some of us will be at both............all the better:D

I'm in Pittsburgh now, so that would be my first vote.

Oklahoma City is an extremely close second. It's centrally located and cheap as hell to run a con. Plus I'd have plenty of folks I could crash with and an opportunity to catch up with the old crew.

Reno is a fine town and all... but I'm one broke SOB all of the time, and that would probably be too expensive for me.

I remember when I went to the very first convention. It was in Reno at the Atlantis. I had a blast! I would say Reno again. :)

I know alot of you don't know me, but some might remember me. I use to do some testing for the H.I. Katana and various Khukuris.

"Oklahoma City is an extremely close second. It's centrally located and cheap as hell to run a con. Plus I'd have plenty of folks I could crash with and an opportunity to catch up with the old crew."

yup dirt cheap , and i can scout hotels with coninant wood lines

Depending on the date, I might be able to make Reno. I'll try to remember to check in here more often. :)

Too bad Mike doesn't still have the cursed FEMA trailer, we could hold it there. Or cut it to shreds as an "activity."

I would have to agree with Reno as a location. And with Bura doing a forging demonstration, that would be amazing.

A second alternative to Reno would be Atlanta, and time it just before the Blade Show, which was mentioned earlier.

Nice idea, Dan. Of course the ultimate activity, at the ultimate khonvention, would be fighting an army of zombies, which might be possible in vegas.

If you wanted to have a meetup which would be a great thing to do and at the same time do something that would really help promote HI then you have to think a little more bang for the buck ( no not that buck).
With all of this group helping then Blade would do wonders for HI and the effect would last long past just a meetup by itself.
As far as cost for the group to go to blade and a meetup well that might be a little harder to exsplain to the other half and many of us would have to come up with something slick to pull that off.

Azis, are you talking about having an HI booth at Blade? That is a great idea that's been thrown around in the past.

How cool would it be to have Bura do a forging demonstration out in the courtyard there?

Maybe a shared booth...not that I am bringing up any names.......however there are some in the HI crowd that maybe would enter one of the contest? In addition there are enough people there to talk about them and there is no better showcase than Blade. Something to think about

Bamboo you really need to work on being there I have several martial artist going. I have a friend from there he is a pro MMA fighter held his title 9 times he has one of the largest knife collections I've seen. There are a few other pro fighters going to meetup there. There are several teachers comming in from Shaolin to Ju Jitsu, beside where are you going to get your next chin na lesson from?

I know alot of you don't know me, but some might remember me. I use to do some testing for the H.I. Katana and various Khukuris.

I remember you!:thumbup: Good to see you around!:)

IIRC, you helped steer me toward a Kris Katana quite a few years back? I thought that was you I chatted with on Swordforums back then...?

Too bad Mike doesn't still have the cursed FEMA trailer, we could hold it there. Or cut it to shreds as an "activity."

:D Thanks, Ken.

The cursed FEMA trailer went off to New Orleans- VooDoo central. I told you it was cursed. You can only imagine the parties they were having in it with tubs of Heineken and FEMA gift cards.

:( I can't make Reno, but will try to meet anyone going to Blade in Atlanta this summer.

Mike

There are several teachers comming in from Shaolin to Ju Jitsu, beside where are you going to get your next chin na lesson from?

I've got 12 hours of qin na on the horizon this coming weekend!

http://ymaa.com/seminars/boston/shaolin-taiji-qin-na

Mike, we've been looking for you the past two years at the show. If you're not there this year we going to have to put the trailer back on your lawn.

(sorry for the hijacking of any threads....)

Back