1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Ultimate Production Chef Knife NEW IMAGES

Discussion in 'Kitchen Cutlery & Tools' started by Lotmom, Nov 6, 2018.

1. jdm61

jdm61 itinerant metal pounder Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 12, 2005
    My experience has been that the steel used in most of those German stainless kitchen knives is a miracle material in that it can roll AND chip the same edge. ;) Honestly, I think that most of that damage comes not from what people are cutting, but what they are cutting ON. How many lunatics do you know that kept that extra piece of countertop granite to use as a cutting board?

2. marchone

marchone Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  3. marchone

marchone Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2013
    By the bye, while looking at the Original Canadian Belt Knife I noticed Grohmann Knives have forged Wustof-pattern 8-inch and 10-inch Chef's knives in their catalog. They claim they are forged. Very reasonable price.

4. Lotmom

Lotmom Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Grohman knives are really beautiful. Im not sure how their steel holds up, however. It seems they use 4116.

Don't get me wrong, it's an okay steel, but there are many better options on the market. Hell, even a properly HT'ed 440c can outperform many cutlery steels.

marchone likes this.
  5. robgmn

robgmn

Oct 30, 2015
    So simply heating and cooling the metal makes it just as strong as forging?
    Wouldn't it save manufacturers tons of money to stop forging products? (I'm assuming it's expensive to heat and reheat the metal multiple times, labor to work it, cost of the forging machinery, etc, etc, versus simply heating it up and letting it cool down once).

Talk about reducing the cost of manufacturing!

6. Lotmom

Apr 21, 2016
    Heat treating is an incredibly in-depth science that you could spend several lifetimes studying.
    The heating and cooling is just a small part of the process, and is likely the cheapest part for the mfr.
    If they were to do one blade at a time, yes, doing a good heat treat would be very expensive. But they do it in large batches.

7. Lotmom

Apr 21, 2016
    Update time!
    I have received the knife and done some testing!
    It came decently sharp and the grind is very good. Almost no sticking even when i was cutting oranges.

I am visiting family over the weekend, so I will not be able to put my own edge on it until Sunday

Overall, I'm very impressed.

There is only one issue on the knife, one that I will be fixing before production;
    The spine and bolster are a little bit sharp, so your index finger gets a little irritated after a while in pinch-grip.

Overall, I'm very impressed. I'd rate the current prototype a solid 8/10.

I will give a more detailed review when I have a chance to cook a full meal and put my own edge on the knife.

FOG2 and marchone like this.
  8. robgmn

robgmn

Oct 30, 2015
    I think we jumped a step somewhere, from normalizing (which reads as being an easy process, and cheaper to do than annealing) being just as good for strength as forging, to heat treating being very complicated.

To back it up a step, am I understanding correctly that a piece of steel that has been forged to a specific size (let's say 10"x2"x.125") will be no stronger than a piece of stock of the same size that has simply been normalized?

And to try and stay on topic a little: I think it was mentioned that the sample piece is san mai. Will testing it provide much useful info if the knife you plan to produce won't be san mai?

9. Lotmom

Apr 21, 2016
    To answer this question;
    I originally was going with a monosteel construction because I believed it would keep the cost down.
    It turns out the company only does HAP40 in san-mai but the cost is still low enough to not pose an issue.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  10. Lotmom

Apr 21, 2016
    Update! I have put my own mirror-polished convex edge on the blade and man! Does it perform!

I tested on granny Smith apples, which are quite tough. Slid through them with minimal pressure.

Overall I'm very impressed with the knife.

jc57 likes this.
  11. Lotmom

Apr 21, 2016
    So. This forum will be dead for a while until I start full production.

I will still answer questions and such, but for the most part, updates will stop.

Thank you guys so much for all the valuable input!
    I don't think this knife would be nearly as good as it is without you all!

Have a great one,
    Ben Herman of Herman Blades

marchone likes this.
  12. FOG2

FOG2 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 1, 2007
    I would be interested in seeing pictures of the knife.

13. Lotmom

Apr 21, 2016
    Of course! I'll post pictures when I can get some good light.

FOG2 likes this.
  14. Lotmom

Apr 21, 2016
    They say a picture is worth a thousand words...

So a video must be worth millions!

marchone likes this.
  15. FOG2

Nov 1, 2007
    Unfortunately the video doesn't play for me. Unsupported browser I believe it said.

16. Lotmom

Apr 21, 2016
    That's strange... It's from YouTube.

17. FOG2

Nov 1, 2007
    I believe I found it on YT, 52 seconds long?
    Looks nice, better than the spoiler pics IMO.

18. Lotmom

Apr 21, 2016
    I agree entirely!

19. Spideyjg

Spideyjg

Nov 7, 2017
    Put a wet towel under the board. Cutting boards should never move when cutting on them.

20. Mjoneson

Mjoneson

Nov 10, 2016
    Might’ve missed it, but what is the price point you’re going for on this knife?