Ultimate Survival Dog ?

We all know who mans best friend is but which breed do you think would be best in a survival scenario ?
Things to consider would be their ability to help catch food, not so large that they would eat more food than you could provide, be hardy enough for rough terrain, gutsy enough to help protect you should the need arise.

As much as I love my little Jack, I think something slightly larger such as a Patterdale or Jagd terrier might be a slightly better option !

Your thoughts ?

As much as I like dogs in a survival situation they're pretty well going to be another liability that you need to find food and water for.

As much as I like dogs in a survival situation they're pretty well going to be another liability that you need to find food and water for.

True but mental aspect plays a huge role and for me a dog would definitely help me stay positive.

Well if you're staying on the island some sort of water dog. I'd go for a smaller golden retriever myself.

The food drive would be a bit of an issue though.

In a short term scenario most dogs are going to be equally useless. A big dog might get the nod though since there is more to eat on them big bones. I'm only half joking. :eek:

Long term... well you would have to balance your needs carefully. Match the dog to the task at hand and train it accordingly. Hunting? Herding? Pest control? Watch dog? Attack dog?

If I was hunting I'd probably get something local from a breeder who hunts what I hunt. There are many ways to hunt. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunting_dog For pest control the smaller dogs do better. A chihuahua or terrier. Watch dogs don't need to be large or loud they just need to be trained to alert you to strangers. So get something trainable.

Thinking long term this is an animal that has to fit into your life before any potential doomsday scenario not just after... so it is important that it fits your lifestyle. Most hunting dogs for example are poorly suited for modern suburban and city living. They are loud, prone to wanderlust, and need too much exercise. Large aggressive dogs on the other hand can lead to legal problems so be very sure if you go that route.

Here is a useful quiz that might help narrow things down for your specific needs. http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/search.htm

Me and the kids enjoyed the episode of Dude you're Screwed when they stuck Terry with a puppy.

Based on the fact that a trapper/hunter in Siberia wouldn't be able to function without his dog, and that they are bred to be a one man dog for this very purpose, I'd have to say a Russian Laika would be what I'd want as my companion in the wild. Many other dogs would have a ball out there and probably do quite well also, but if my life depended on that 1 dog it would be a Laika or similar breed of Siberian Husky.

I agree with Sideways in that the dog would have to fit into your lifestyle before a doomsday event. That being said, in this type scenario the biggest threat will be other people. So in my opinion and what would work for me is a dog with protection/guarding ability. So (and this is what I would want, but wouldn't necessarily fit others needs), my current dog would work.
TessieSunday1_zpsdabe0c70.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Dogs are very adept at finding water so except in an arid situation, I can't see that providing them with water would be an issue. A hunting breed might be a plus. I don't think there is any one be-all-end-all breed that would excell in every possible situation. Most of them are more situationally aware than people (better ears and noses) so would be an asset for security even if not a bred fighter.

For those who maybe haven't seen Patterdales and Jagds before.

Patterdales :

Jagds :

I'd forgot about this guy I had when I was a kid, he was a working stock Bedlington terrier and used to catch me a rabbit nearly every time I took him out !

Well I don't know what dog is "best" for survival situation but I'll give you one that is probably the worst at it.
Love this knuckle head but he's best at lounging. If he did manage to get catch something he would crush it this bastard has a set of jaws.

What he does best

He can handle snow, he shits on it LOL

Last edited:
I looked pretty seriously into Jagds a while back as a step-in for my aging rat russell, and they seem like a pretty well-rounded breed with cojones the size of Oklahoma - which can be good and bad at the same time. In a survival situation I would have trusted my old rat, and the Jagds seem about like her times two, or three, or four...

Curs and feists were pretty high on my list too.

For the time being though I need to trust my savvy Chihuahua and survivor rescue mutt!

Well I don't know what dog is "best" for survival situation but I'll give you one that is probably the worst at it.
Love this knuckle head but he's best at lounging. If he did manage to get catch something he would crush it this bastard has a set of jaws.

What he does best

He can handle snow, he shits on it LOL

Hahahaha, he's awesome buddy, give him a big hug from me !

Interesting topic!

True but mental aspect plays a huge role and for me a dog would definitely help me stay positive.

This would be the most important aspect for me. Incredible how much positivity a dog can give you.
I take my dog with me while running, and my run times are faster and with less metal 'issues' compared to running by myself.

As for finding food and water het's got a nose for it. We have different tastes though... :eek:
My vote would be for a German Pointer Wirehair, but I'm biassed :D

Here's what my dog Guinness typically finds as survival food ;)

IMAG1055.jpg

Back