Ulu questions

A relative of mine who visited Alaska several years ago got me a ulu as a souvenir.

I sincerely appreciated the gift and it worked quite well for cutting up fresh herbs but, well, not to sound unappreciative but it was of "souvenir" quality and is now in pretty bad shape.

I'd really like to get a good quality, genuine Alaska ulu but it's not really within my realm of expertise.

I was hoping someone out there could answer a few questions:

1. How much would one expect to pay for a good quality ulu? It doesn't need to be ready for duty with the Navy SEALs or anything, I'm just going to be cutting up herbs. Still, it should have a decent edge and be durable enough to last a good number of years.

2. What should I look for in a good quality ulu?

3. Are there any Alaskan companies that make good quality ulus? Yes, I am aware of the phenomenon known as "Google" but I came to a forum so I could discuss with a human being rather than an algorithm.

I hope you can help!

Thanks in advance!

That's a good question. I have a couple ulus, but I am not really happy with any of them. My plan is to just make one for myself at some point. I grew up in Nome, so I am very partial to a Bering Straits style ulu, but I have never really liked the one-sided grind.

The thing about ulus is that they can get made out of all kinds of stuff. I have one that was made out of a bicycle guard. I have a fancier one that I don't like because the handle isn't the style I like. Ultimately I mostly use my own cheapo souvenir because it is closes to the style I like, but the steel is really not good.

Hopefully I can get back into practice with a grinder and make myself an ulu that actually meets my wants and desires.

Check out "Dancing Man" ulus, he makes a variety of regional patterns. John

Thanks for this! The Dancing Man Fish-River ulus are pretty-much the style I like. I want to make myself one in stainless at some point, but I may have to start saving up for a 6" Fish River in Mermaid Bone, and it looks like they are actually more easily available in a two sided grind.

I second John on Dancing Man. His are the real deal. He spends months at a time out on the tundra picking up dropped caribou horns for handles. The blades are repurposed hand saw blades as is traditional the far north.

Back