Umnumzaan blade moving slightly when closed

My hands-on knowledge is limited to just my Zaan, but looking at more pics online just now (I'm bored at work) they all show the clean/even punch arrangement just like the ones I posted. Some do have 2 round punches, most have 3. All have two notch punches with material wrapped around the top of the ball to hold it in

You're missing the top left bit of material. Looks like it was bubba'd. If it were me I'd send that pic to CRK to see what they have to say about it, cuz there is not much you can do otherwise, unless the seller has anything to say... but I doubt he does.

Once thing is certain: if I buy another Zaan or Inkosi online I am definitely requesting a clear pic of the ceramic ball.

Can you post pics?

Sounds like the detent ball drops into the hole completely at the same time the stop-pin hits the handle. Ideally, the stop-pin should engage with the handle when the ball is half fell, thereby pressuring the blade toward closed position.

I hope that the pic shows it. The ball is not completely at the center of the hole on mine. If the centers align, there should be a vertical play.

Umnum_ball.JPG

I bought it new. Looking at some Google images, Umnunzaan and Sebenza 25 have similar punches and nicks.

I bought it new. Looking at some Google images, Umnunzaan and Sebenza 25 have similar punches and nicks.

Punches yes but those punches dont look right. U can see the left cut actually looks like its gonna fall off soon with a bit use.

Those rough edges are sort of macro- and image magnification artifacts from an iPhone pic.
They look cleaner and OK in reality.

Now im second guessing mine. When my scales get back ill take a pic to compare. But i could swear the ball looked clean. Maybe i was tripping, like parents of an ugly baby that think its cute.

I think OP needs to send that pic to CRK to get an official word on this as now id really like to know (miso2, send your pic as well). We can speculate all day, and we did...

Out of more curiosity, what are your scale dates?

I sent CRK an email with a picture of the ceramic ball area, now I'm just waiting for a response.
The date on my card says September 15, 2014. Both of my scales also have "B-14" on them, which I'm assuming are the scale dates.

Mine reads B-15.

I don't have much concern about mine. The ball looks secure enough.
The issue of OP seems to be misalignment of the ball, which might have to be addressed by CRK.

Back