Umnumzaan pics

Being a Wilson gun owner, I get the appeal of a WC CRK... what I don't get is why the Monkey grip, or Wilson is roughly twice the price for essential the same knife....

Being a Wilson gun owner, I get the appeal of a WC CRK... what I don't get is why the Monkey grip, or Wilson is roughly twice the price for essential the same knife....
It's because they're in high demand with little supply. Especially since Wilson Combat just discontinued the Star Tac and Starbenza. I don't know if it's permanent or just to catch up on backorders though, time will tell.

Just took this out of the mail box. Previous owner my have a different idea than I do on what excellent condition -like new means…I’d call it very good-excellent. Couple light snail trails on the scales and some rub /fade on the clip. Blade has cut something that was left on the edge. All in all I’m happy with what I paid in todays market.
Thinking seriously of rocking this thing for a while. Quite the step from the mnandi but then again I bought my mnandi with the proceeds from my last ‘Zaan!
View attachment 1675614

Just took this out of the mail box. Previous owner my have a different idea than I do on what excellent condition -like new means…I’d call it very good-excellent. Couple light snail trails on the scales and some rub /fade on the clip. Blade has cut something that was left on the edge. All in all I’m happy with what I paid in todays market.
Thinking seriously of rocking this thing for a while. Quite the step from the mnandi but then again I bought my mnandi with the proceeds from my last ‘Zaan!
View attachment 1675614

Just do it already :p

Nah, that poor thing is hammered. Send it to me. ;-)
Seriously though... It is a nice one. You need to buy that monkey zaan now, just put up on the exchange.

Ok so here she is, cleaned and lubed, lanyard removed and N Norvox kit installed. Not only didn't the last owner understand condition he/she did not believe in lube for knives. This thing was so dry it might have been degreased and of course I didn't realize until taking it apart the grease and locktite didn’t arrive in the box. Oh well such is the secondary market.
The one thing I do notice that I was not aware was an issue with the ceramic ball interface…I’m getting a bit of lock stick? Anyone have any suggestions on this?

Anyway cleaned lubed and ready to go to work with me tonight, I admit to being a bit excited.
View attachment 1676030

Nah, that poor thing is hammered. Send it to me. ;-)
Seriously though... It is a nice one. You need to buy that monkey zaan now, just put up on the exchange.

No thanks on the monkey for me. I may be the only guy in the world that doesn’t care for it! Of course I had a Wilson star-tac and a star-benza and didn’t care for those either. I think they come perfect from CRK. I am the same way with guns and flashlights…just kinda an OEM kinda guy, boring perhaps but hey I’m old.

The one thing I do notice that I was not aware was an issue with the ceramic ball interface…I’m getting a bit of lock stick? Anyone have any suggestions on this?

Mine had a bit when new.
it went away as the ball polished a path in the tang.
I don’t recall my Inkosi having any though.

Of the three main CRK models (Sebenza, Inkosi and Zaan) my Zaan was always third up. I have made a deliberate effort the last few weeks to giving the Zaan exclusive pocket time. While I don’t think it will replace the Inkosi as the most comfortable in my hands, I have really appreciated the harpoon style blade and the handle profile.

Pics:

This is normal. I’ve had it on all mine and I’ve owned quite a few. You want a little bit of stick. It means there is friction between the blade tang and ceramic ball. If there were none you’d have a lock that could slip very easily.

I lucked out recently and picked up a second new to me Umnumzaan that's actually in new condition. Now I can send my beater Zaan to the motherland for a spa treatment. This will be the first time I send something to CRK.

First thing I did was took out the lanyard pin, put in a second spacer, and made the clip tighter. It's amazing 🙌🏻20211113_105609_compress69.jpg
20211113_105621_compress51.jpg
20211113_105636_compress23.jpg

Probably going to grab one of your backspacers for the new pivot.
Chris_Reeve_Umnumzaan_29DEC2021_2048_Pixel_10.jpg

Chris_Reeve_Umnumzaan_OP_04DEC2021_2048_Pixel_10.jpg

I keep revisiting this thread wishing I could have another ‘Zaan. I keep buying and selling them because the length makes it illegal in the city I live in and I don’t need a knife I can’t carry.
I got some advice to check out the XM-18 harpoon spanto as a legal to carry here replacement for the ‘Zaan. Took a couple months but I’ve got one coming but I really wish it was the CRK love!

Back