Una semana con el Clásico.

I just returned from a week long vacation in Pureto Vallarta, Mexico.

Because of the knife laws in Mexico and my better safe than sorry attitude, I decided to go with the bare minimum. A Vic Classic that was given to me years ago by my wifes uncle. He worked for Chrysler and it was given to him by the parts supplier Federal Mogul.

I wasn't afraid of using losing this one so I cleaned it up, oiled it, put a sharp edge on it and made it my only knife for the past eight days.

It saw sand at the beach and pool water but I didn't take it in the ocean as I didn't want the surf freeing it from my pocket.

The scissors saw the most use. The only time I wished I had a longer blade was when cutting croissants at breakfast:p. The resort butter knives just destroyed them. Otherwise, I never really needed more than the little Classic.

[--

Last edited:
Cool! I'm going to South America later this year but I'm planning on not taking checked luggage at all.. and that means no knife! Gonna feel weird.

Thanks for the report, Rupe! Looks like a great time at a great place.

It's funny how the smallest SAK sometimes is all we need. I've long been a champion of the little classic, and consider it the gateway drug of SAK's. A little bit of sharp edge, scissors, and a SD tip on the nail file that works on Phillips screws. Tweezers to pull splinters and a toothpick for after dinner. What more do you need on a tropical vacation?

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Although I am glad you had a fine vacation, luck was with you. Chances are, if you are discrete, a tiny SAK will go unnoticed, but frankly, I think it better to not carry any pocketknife. If you are hassled for any reason, even a Classic can get you cited and into a time consuming, expensive legal nightmare. This was advice I got years ago from a US border patrol guy. Because of endemic corruption due to being underpaid, many Mexican cops look for an excuse to bust someone for even the most trivial of offenses, and Mexican law against foreigners carrying a knife (citizens can carry), even something as inoffensive as a Classic, can put you through a legal system designed to wring max dollars out of you. That would be sure to harsh your mellow. Better a crushed croissant.

Last edited:
Although I am glad you had a fine vacation, luck was with you. Chances are, if you are discrete, a tiny SAK will go unnoticed, but frankly, I think it better to not carry any pocketknife. If you are hassled for any reason, even a Classic can get you cited and into a time consuming, expensive legal nightmare. This was advice I got years ago from a US border patrol guy. Because of endemic corruption due to being underpaid, many cops look for an excuse to bust someone for even the most trivial of offenses, and Mexican law against foreigners carrying a knife (citizens can carry), even something as inoffensive as a Classic can put you through a legal system designed to wring max dollars out of you. That would be sure to harsh your mellow. Better a crushed croissant.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind if there is a next time.

We only left the resort for a half day trip to Sayulita and there, we stuck to the "touristy" part near the beach. We traveled only by taxi or shuttle and the taxi was arranged by hotel security/bell service. No hailing random cabs. On our trip to Sayulita we asked the cab driver how much to stick around. It was an additional $250 pesos (~$13US). Well worth it to have a trustworthy driver and no language barrier.

Our other trips were by boat to Marietas Islands and Las Caletas/Cabo Corrientes.

Great photos, and excellent to hear that the Classic held up fine - looks like a great trip! I always have one on my key ring, but had to take it off for a jaunt to Budapest a couple of weeks ago - carry on only!

Back