Uncle Bill needs your vote. PLEASE READ!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
NO

If the edge looks hollow ground maybe it is the original owner Mr. H who ruined it or Mr. M I guess. Trade or "sharpening service" would be a gift - but nothing HI has to do.
Andreas

Lion's Roar said:
No.

This smells funny. Give me 5 hours and I'll sharpen darn near anything, metal or not.

It doesn't sound like a defect. I think Mr. M should take it up with Mr. H.[/QUOTE

I am with Lion on this. No refund. Tell him he can send it to me and I will sharpen it and ship it back to him at no cost, serious offer. I want to see any piece of steel that can't be sharpened in 5 hours.

I vote no for the simple reason that i SUCK at sharpening things (compared to most of you guys) and I have never had a problem getting any HI khuk to starpen with a couple grades of stones and a few files. The hollow ground thing is throwing me for a loop. The kamis do some pretty weird things, but putting a weaker grind on an obvious chopping knife? They surely aren't that silly.
I can't seem to justify HI being liable for a knife that has changed hands. I would say that if the first buyer bought the knife, couldn't sharpen it then said, "Uncle Bill, this knife really isn't for me. could I get a refund/exchange/person to sharpen it right?" Then you could work with him. Maybe even if the second buyer broke the knife (and it could be proven that it was bought from HI and not abused), then you could swap it out. But, if a person just can't get a knife to sharpen?? Come on, HI can't be held accountable for that. Maybe you could give this guy Dan's or any of the other sharpening gurus' e-mail or something. I know i would pay a nominal fee plus postage to get one of my khuks super-scary sharp. Beats having a dull one laying around.

I dunno, my business does not honor second hand product returns, and we do ALL of stuff over and above what most places will do.

Jake

NO WAY!!I started laughing reading this.I can sharpen ANYTHING in much less time than 5 hr.Takes a lot of ***** to try to return merchandise he didn't purchase & ask for a refund.5HR LOL!! THAT PUNY K IS RUINED(THAT AIN'T A REAL"K" ANYHOW BEING "THAT" SMALL :barf: !! MY ANS IS STILL "NO"!
THE DUCK! :cool:

I'd love to know if he even tried to contact the guy he bought it from.

On the surface, this seems to be an exploitation of H.I.'s warantee policy.

No money back
any correction is by mr h, the seller

{looks like all the other posts have addrressed the below points
but since I got it all typed up................}

most hi blades are at least -somewhat- hollowground
noting the many discussions here re reprofiling the bevel

which is an interesting point not relevant to the money issue:

"this thing just doesn't seem to want to sharpen."
[-ANY- piece of metal can be sharpened,
edge durability is another matter.
Sharpening is a skill--not the knife's fault or lack of desire]

"The bevel seems to be hollow ground"
[most hi blades are at least somewhat hollowground
noting the many discussions here re reprofiling the bevel
.......Oh I said that already]

"I have put 5 hours into trying to fix the bevels"
[Why did he buy it if he knew it needed to be 'fixed'.
And in any case there is nothing wrong with or unsharpenable
about a hollow-ground edge--
It's still the industry standard for most blades.]

"if there is anyway to get a refund that would be great,"
[see mr h, to who/whom? mr m sent his money]

"I bought an HI because of the high quality and good reviews,
this thing is just a nightmare."
[I can put a decent edge on the lowest quality tourist khuk
and I'm probably average skill here,
this to say (again) that -- sharpen-ability -- is not a quality issue,
hi product or not
it is however a skill issue
which is learned
and not the responsibility of hi

now if he had bought directly from hi
the matter of satisfaction would be different]

~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<>call me
'Dean' :)-FYI-FWIW-IIRC-JMO-M2C-YMMV-TIA-YW-GL-HH-HBD-IBSCUTWS-tWotBGUaDUaDUaD
<> Tips <> Baha'i Prayers Links --A--T--H--D

Kismet said:
Seems like this is a private transaction, outside the business realm of H.I.

M should address the issue with H.

Not H.I.'s business.

I agree with Kis and everybody else.

Ad Astra :mad:

I would stay with your written policy. If its orginal owner so be it. If you want to help him out now thats up to you.

In 5 hours i could make a rock a knife. :D

Our khukuris are made for heavy use & are backed by a written no-nonsense
LIFETIME GUARANTEE (both blade and handle!)
and sent with a satisfaction guarantee.

The gentleman communicated with Bill privately, and did not seem to be putting on undue pressure on Bill from the quote given.

Now that it has gone public it would be unwise for HI to broadcast such an extended "buyback" policy. It would leave HI open to exploitation by unscrupulous individuals.

There have been offers by forumites to sharpen the knife. Perhaps the owner should take one of these offers. If the knife really won't sharpen Bill and Yangdu might want to consider replacing it for the owner, as a dull knife isn't much good and is not good advertizing for HI.

I vote NO for the well stated reasons above.
Anything more than a short reply is probably giving the 2nd owner of the questionable Kuhk more than he deserves.

I had a cursed Bura BAS that didn't want to sharpen. There wasn't really anything wrong with it. I think the bevel was either fatter or at a different angle than what I was used to.

With production knives, all the edge geometry thingies are the same. I can get any cold steel thingamanife set my sharpening stuff or wrists to x angle and I get a sharp blade.

If we take a guy squatting on a floor with a hammer making khukuries, all the edges are going to be slightly different. I've noticed on a few items that the edge gets noticeably thicker near the cho than at the tip. This made the tip and sweet spot sharpen up quickly but the rear part stayed relatively dull.

Back to the cursed BAS... since I don't use powerful abrasives for sharpening (I use a couple O' ceramic rods) it took forever to get any sort of edge on it. To get a burr, I'd have to use a steep angle. However, I'd use my normal stroping and finishing angles which were shallow. Therefore I'd get a rough edge and the stropping would polish the shoulders of the edge without touching the edge itself. You could sort of feel the roughess with your fingernail and the polished surface close to it. Eventually it seemed like the edge bevel wore down to the angle of my ceramic rodding and stroping and was sharpenable.

Every six months or so I'd go back and try to sharpen it without success. I only figured out the above stuff recently. The knife was purchased in umm... 2002 and I just got it to sharp-like in the past few days.

I reckon it's a third party transaction and should be taken care of by the reseller. Having said that... there would be much to learn if one kept at sharpening the thing.

Dunno. If I returned all the knives I couldn't sharpen I'd probably only have some of those box cutters. :confused:

No.

It's simply bizarre to demand a refund because you lack the skill to sharpen something. Either:

A: learn to sharpen better.
B: Send to a forumite to sharpen.
C: Ask previous owner what he did to it and why.

Or all the above.

Bill, you make great knives. A person's inability to sharpen a resold knife is certainly not your fault. The fact that you even bothered to seriously consider this speaks well of you. This is part of why I love HI so much. :)

No, and tell him so without guilt. We agree.

Nam

No. He did not purchase from HI. Warrenty does not apply. I have different knives that I could not sharpen for the longest time. It was me, not the knife.
There is a learning curve involved with any new blade. Inability to sharpen a knife does not seem the fault of the knife. :rolleyes:

Hopefully I can help settle this right here and now:

I am offering to buy the khukuri for $50.

Bill - you shouldn't have to be dealing with this right now.....

I'll take the khukuri and determine what (if anything) is wrong with it. I'll eat the cost 100%....chalk it up as part of my "knife education".

End of story.

Don't give a refund. This situation seems a little fishy.

Jeremy

Our canadian gent got the item off eBay.

"i got parts of it sharp, just not really equally sharp. I have never sharpened a kukri before and I think that I just lack the skills or knowledge. It seems to be good quality."

He's all over BushcraftUK about it.

NO.

He needs to learn how to sharpen -- to gain "the skills and knowledge."

Life does not always bail us out of our shortcomings.

(Ed. to add: Dan is my hero.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back