Uncle Bill needs your vote. PLEASE READ!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
NO

Doesn't pass the smell test to me.

I'm the worlds worst sharpener and have had trouble sharpening some. Persistance, guidance from the forum and other sites have helped alot. Some just take longer than others, changing technique, when you realize you are doing it wrong, but NOT 5 hours.\

Dan has a good idea and would really evaluate it, but I think the guy is just not happy and wants some money.

This copied statement from the url link backs up my theory.
"More than anything I am just ****ed off about how much I miss judged this purchase."

Life is tough! Deal with it! OR learn to sharpen. Don't go crying because you made a misjudgment on your part!

lcs37 said:
...but I think the guy is just not happy and wants some money.
He is welcome to my money...but not Bill's.

NO!

If he want's a convex edge, I'll put one on it in 10 minutes, polish the blade and the handle, and ship it back to him free. My email is in my profile.

Steve Ferguson

You know, if you ground off enough from the edge of an AK, you might end up with a "hollow-ground" blade -- the "hollow" being the lower, shallow fuller -- and little of the hardened steel left.

Or he might not know what "hollow-ground" means.

I have had a couple of khukuris such as a 15 inch Ang Khola and a 18 inch BGRS both by Bura that I could never get a convex edge on for the life of me. Of course, bear in mind that to this day, I'm really really lousy at sharpening. However, I have a friend at work here who makes knives and he was able to get them very sharp and with a convex edge with no problems. I think blaming the product for not being sharp enough does not justify a refund particularly because the edge on the khukuri is thick for a reason namely heavy chopping. It was a good reason why my friend did not make it hair shaving sharp because he felt that doing this would weaken the edge itself. I also think that the degree of sharpness is more of a personal choice as well since what I think is sharp might not be necessarily the same as what someone else would.

So in short, the buyer should go back to the reseller for the refund. Uncle Bill should not have to give any refunds on this.

Arvind

No.

Even IF he would have been the original buyer, there's no guarantee for being unable to sharpen a knife. He could still bring it to a local knife shop to have it sharpened anyway. Sounds weird to me at least...

No. You shouldn't give a refund on something you did not sale. That is between H and M. If H returns the khuk to you in unused condition and you deem it defective you could refund H.

David

My vote is NO as well.
It could start a bad precedent.

Enough people here are being more than generous with their offers.
I'm kind of surprised he didn't ask for help here first?

ferguson said:
If he want's a convex edge, I'll put one on it in 10 minutes...

Mine took 3 years. :(

Although I tend to think most people are more sane than I...

I read the posts on the other forum. It looks like he read the thing about the sandpaper and mousepad and thought like I did at one time. Using this method will magically make razor sharp edges appear. Getting the theory into practice takes a little more time.

10 minutes? You got a pact with satan or something? ;) :rolleyes: :)

OFFER STILL STANDS

Bill - have him contact me directly. No need for you to deal with this any more.

LOL...Yeah...I got yer Satan here...the 80 grit Satan...

NO,NO,NO,NO.
He just needs to learn how to sharpen long pointy things.
Did I say NO?

Mr. M should take it up with Mr. H. I hope that wasn't my 12". I'd feel real bad. The thing worked great for me.

I have been able to get a good edge on almost all of my stuff. I had one 18" AK I tried and tried w/0 success. Yvsa fixed that one for me finally!

I almost sent my M43 back cause I couldn't get an edge on it. Working on it every evening a little for about 2 weeks I got it sharp but it wouldn't hold the edge well.

Then I went down in grit and actually tried to lower the angle on the edge rather than just sharpening the edge as it was. After about another week I got it right.

That's the roughest I have ever had besides the AK. All the others have been minor. Easy to get a razor edge on.

How can you be on the hook for the cash for a third party purchase! If the guy wants to return for a replacement or sharpening OK otherwise NO.

Warranty applies only to the first owner. Transaction between Mr. M. and Mr. H. has nothing do to with HI. He should be seeking satisfaction from the guy who sold it to him, not HI. Hopefully with information from forums either he or someone else will explain about sharpening convex edges.

I don't know how he could expect a refund from you, he didn't pay you a dime. If he is telling the truth, he should go back to the guy he bought it from and maybe he can work it out.

If you want to go out of your way, have him send it back to you and see if there is anything actually wrong with it. Maybe he's like me and can't sharpen a knife.

He's posted it for sale on BritishBlades as well and he has an offer from a Scandinavian knife-maker. Looks like it will be snapped up as he's asking $30 US plus shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back