Uncle Bill needs your vote. PLEASE READ!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eric_425 said:
So the thing is that the warranty is on us, and not the knife? As in, it's not the knife itself that is unconditionally guaranteed against defect/breakage, but the buyer is unconditionally guaranteed not to break it?

This is my interpretation only:

The knife has a 100% lifetime guarantee but it is non transferable.
The knife could be returned to the original purchaser to return to HI for replacement/refund.
It would be at the discretion of the original owner to determine if this was justified.
(Then original purchase price and original condition of the knife is known to HI)

Yvsa said:
Not exactly. People were buying blems and other discounted knives and then selling them for whatever reason.
Then the person who bought it second hand would trash the knife and either want a full refund on, or a, non-blem replacement.
Since there is a lot of difference in price between a blem and a top of the line khuk it wasn't cost effective for Uncle Bill to continue to warranty the knives past the original owner.
I would've done the same.

I see. That'd make perfect sense. The guarantee is for an equivalent product. but second hand, someone buys a blem, and they can try to replace it to get a more expensive non-blem.
The thing I was thinking about was that it wouldn't make any difference whether the original owner broke the knife, or if the second owner did. Refunds shouldn't be issued, since it wasn't purchased from them, but if a knife was defective, then the defective knife should be replaced with the same, regardless of who found the weakness. But not knowing what the original product was, whether it was a blem or new, would make it impossible to replace with another knife of the same type.

These are interesting interpretations.

But how about I throw in the reason why this fiasco started in the first place, owner abuse through negligence, intentional or not.

If I receive a khukuri and fail to oil the thing and than set it in a bath of salt water, is HI responsible?

If I receive a khukuri, and did not know that the entire edge is hardened and that the hardened zones have a high rockwell, than I go about and sharpen the thing on a bench grinder and destroy the knife... is that HI's responsibility?

If I receive a khukuri and see that there is a crack in the bolster and it's been filled with brass, and I go about and try to repair it not knowing that this seam is normal... is that HI's responsibility?

I thought HI's warranty covered damage through use, not owner negligence. In a court of law, is the reason for the return due to reasonable circumstances? And I say unto you, jury of my peers, did the plaintiff "damage" the khukuri under reasonable circumstances to justify return under the spirit at which HI's warranty was created?

NO.

I say to you my brothers and sisters, that it was gross, ignorance induced negligence and not product failure that caused the grief.

I need to reiterate that the khukuri I sold had nothing wrong with it. Even he states that the khukuri was unused when he bought it. It was a typical, well made 12" AK no different from anything that you or I have owned.

He took the knife, unsatisfied with it's sharpness (a very fair circumstance) and he utilized techniques and applied it without adequate knowledge. This was not abuse through use. This was negligence caused outside the boundries of use, and that... that my peers is not what HI's magnificient warranty is all about.

If he was NOT satisfied with the product, that is a definite and legitimate reason. He should have contacted me, or if he bought the khukuri straight from UB, he should have contacted him and returned it in it's original condition.

So to repeat myself, again, the cause of reason of return WAS NOT through usage failure, WAS NOT through defective product, but due to the owner's negligence. People, HI's business is built on trust. And that MUST extend both ways.

I rest my case.

If Mr. M had prior HI purchases then it would be a good PR move but this is clearly a second hand purchase.

maybe if he wants to send it to you to get it "fixed" although I doubt that he's going to send it.

No refund or replacement. It's a private transaction. There's plenty of help in the forum for sharpening advice.

Dave Hahn said:
These are interesting interpretations.

But how about I throw in the reason why this fiasco started in the first place, owner abuse through negligence, intentional or not.

If I receive a khukuri and fail to oil the thing and than set it in a bath of salt water, is HI responsible?

If I receive a khukuri, and did not know that the entire edge is hardened and that the hardened zones have a high rockwell, than I go about and sharpen the thing on a bench grinder and destroy the knife... is that HI's responsibility?

If I receive a khukuri and see that there is a crack in the bolster and it's been filled with brass, and I go about and try to repair it not knowing that this seam is normal... is that HI's responsibility?

I thought HI's warranty covered damage through use, not owner negligence. In a court of law, is the reason for the return due to reasonable circumstances? And I say unto you, jury of my peers, did the plaintiff "damage" the khukuri under reasonable circumstances to justify return under the spirit at which HI's warranty was created?

NO.

I say to you my brothers and sisters, that it was gross, ignorance induced negligence and not product failure that caused the grief.

I need to reiterate that the khukuri I sold had nothing wrong with it. Even he states that the khukuri was unused when he bought it. It was a typical, well made 12" AK no different from anything that you or I have owned.

He took the knife, unsatisfied with it's sharpness (a very fair circumstance) and he utilized techniques and applied it without adequate knowledge. This was not abuse through use. This was negligence caused outside the boundries of use, and that... that my peers is not what HI's magnificient warranty is all about.

If he was NOT satisfied with the product, that is a definite and legitimate reason. He should have contacted me, or if he bought the khukuri straight from UB, he should have contacted him and returned it in it's original condition.

So to repeat myself, again, the cause of reason of return WAS NOT through usage failure, WAS NOT through defective product, but due to the owner's negligence. People, HI's business is built on trust. And that MUST extend both ways.

I rest my case.

Ok. I'll play devil's advocate for a while.. but before I do, I want to say what I was saying before about defective knives, didn't mean this knife in particular, just in general.
I wouldn't want to say HI is responsible for owner abuse or negligence... but by "unconditional", it means they'll take it on. Basically, if knife breaks, it's under warranty, no questions asked, regardless of the reason. That's what unconditional means. A warranty where the knife fails only under conditions that are considered "proper use" is a conditional lifetime warranty, no different than the warranty behind a $10 victorinox or nearly every other major manufacturer. Swamp rat's done this before too, when one of their customers dinged the edge on a battle rat and decided to intentionally destroy the knife and get a replacement, rather than going through the effort of repairing it. It's not without precedent. An unconditional lifetime warranty
is easily subject to exploitation, and so is a very rare thing. But, it is also
a large part of what makes the busses/swamp rats/HI's attractive to many buyers looking for a company who makes a product that stands above, and takes action to back it up.

BUT, in this particular case of second hand procurement, the warranty doesn't apply.

So I bought it, sharpened it, had fun with it now nearly 10 years.
Happy Halloween,
Juha

Well, dont remember how long it was but surely not longer than 30 min. I dont have rights to post pics so I send them to pk977. Maybe he can put them here...? I have angle grinder with speed variator, some special polishing disks. So no problem with burning the blade... Then finish with sand paper, easypeasy. BTW, best deal ever.
Juha

I believe Auntie is under no legal requirement to pay Mr. M $50 because he has screwed up the knife. Having said that, if she does take the knife back and pay Mr. M the $50, I think if she put the knife on here for sale with this same disclosure, she would sell for the $50 plush shipping, breaking even and making someone impressed. There are many really great blade people on this forum that can fix that blade properly. Just my thoughts. Maybe Auntie doesn't need to lose any money at all and maybe someone get's a $50 blade. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back