Under the influences.........

TMHunt

Knifemaker/Moderator
Needless to say all of us knife nutz have makers that have influenced us. I know I have many some dead, some alive that I think are just amazing. Ive always wondered what some of my pieces would look like if I ever had a opportunity to work and collaborate with some of them that I have found so inspirational. So, I did just that. Except none of these inspirational makers where anywhere around at the time unfortunately. :rolleyes: but it didnt stop me from having fun with it.

I have always loved Scagel style knives. No straight lines on his knives, beautiful sweeping curves. Bill Moran and Eric Hendrickson with similar styles and the Godfather of forging as far as im concerned. Ed Fowler who I've always loved his big slanted brass gaurds as the focal point of his knives.

Here's a knife I made with my own little spin on it, with all of them in the shop with me, they just don't know it. :p See if you can see the influences.

Ive had this knife to this point for a couple of weeks, just haven't had any decent days to get out and photo it. I haven't made a sheath for it yet, but I think I will do something with snakeskin. I'll update when I do.

The knife is 10 1/2 in. OAL, 5 in. blade. Dear antler handle, amber spacer with brass and copper furniture. A fun project.

It's a beautiful thing to behold when imagination, artistic flare, experience and skill all come together. Next thing you know, other aspiring knife makers will start adding your name to those you referenced. Congrats on an awesome piece.

Stunning piece, Todd. I really like the size and I can't wait to see it in person.

Looks great, Todd.

Really dig the texturing on the front of the guard.

Beautiful sweeping lines and the heart is a nice touch.

That's sick brother.

That is a beautiful knife! I see a Bill Scagel blade. A Bill Moran guard. I've seen that work on the guard on antique knives but I cannot recall who is known for that in modern times. A D'Alton Holder style spacer on the handle. He likes amber too. A Hunt heart. James Terrio on the jimping. And overall, the artistry and fine craftsmanship of a T.M Hunt.

That is a beautiful knife! I see a Bill Scagel blade. A Bill Moran guard. I've seen that work on the guard on antique knives but I cannot recall who is known for that in modern times. A D'Alton Holder style spacer on the handle. He likes amber too. A Hunt heart. James Terrio on the jimping. And overall, the artistry and fine craftsmanship of a T.M Hunt.

I thought it looked a bit like a scagel as well.

I'm not so sure about this one -- won't all that jimping tear up the baton something fierce?

pretty sweet. lovely patina. great filework!

Beautiful work Todd. I love your Yuma model to be sure, a wonderful little beast in the woods it is. However it's when you get all creative and artistic that your love for this craft really comes shining through.

I'm not so sure about this one -- won't all that jimping tear up the baton something fierce?

Lol, you and I might well be the only people who would actually be willing to baton this one :D

Back