Underrated CS products

Agree 100%. I started a thread called "Any Bird and Trout (or Bird and Game) fans out there?" I got one response. B&T is a great little knife, very handy no matter where you are.

I am a little puzzled by the Lawman, Voyager, and Ultimate Hunter references. They are underrated? By whom?

That s a good question. On this subform, most know about the quality of the AL, UH and Voyager. But the general knife appreciating public doesn't t realize that the American Lawman is as good an edc knife as the PM 2. Or that the Ultimate Hunter is a better outdoor work knife than anything Benchmade makes. Or that the Voyager compares favorably with the Griptilian for 1/2 the price. (And I like the Griptilian, and Love the PM 2!!).
There are a lot of products that Cold Steel makes that are underrated.

Good? That's like saying the Mona Lisa is a decent picture of a woman. It's an incredible knife, and if they'd make a version with G10 handles and an S35VN blade I'd pay whatever they wanted.

All of this talk about the Tuff Lite made me think about getting one the next time I order from one of my online vendors. My local b and m store quit carrying Cold Steel products.
Thinking about the Tuff Lite, I looked at my Hold Out 3 that I ve never really carried. Same size with better steel and a very slicy blade. I m going to break a habit and carry that small knife outside to work the next few days. I normally like 4 inch handles or longer, but this feels ok in hand, so I ll see how it does. This may also fall into the category of under appreciated knives.

Last edited:
That s a good question. On this subform, most know about the quality of the AL, UH and Voyager. But the general knife appreciating public doesn't t realize that the American Lawman is as good an edc knife as the PM 2. Or that the Ultimate Hunter is a better outdoor work knife than anything Benchmade makes. Or that the Voyager compares favorably with the Griptilian for 1/2 the price. (And I like the Griptilian, and Love the PM 2!!).
There are a lot of products that Cold Steel makes that are underrated.

If you are referring to people who always recommend a Spyderco or a Benchmade, that is a long row to hoe. They are die hard fan boys just like us. A few thoughts
  • I sense a general dislike for CS, AFAIK the braggadocio, car stabbing, and lawsuit against CRKT play into that
  • There are just more fans of those brands, and they saturate the discussion
  • CS doesn't make 10 different collector colors, with slight variations in materials. I personally appreciate that CS just makes strong, hard working knives, not catering primarily to collectors.
  • The tri-ad lock makes a poor fidget spinner. I think that is what a lot of people look for in knives.
  • I think most people prefer a smaller knife than most CS models.
Video reviews of the Voyager, Lawman, UH, are all very positive, so they are appreciated by some. I think these are some of the most popular CS knives.

For what you get, CS is a great value, and the marketing is more entertaining than irksome to me.

Last edited:
SRK, especially in San Mai. If you slapped wooden handles on it and a leather sheath you’d have what other makers would sell for $350+.
You could take on the world with the 3V or San Mai SRK.

If you are referring to people who always recommend a Spyderco or a Benchmade, that is a long row to hoe. They are die hard fan boys just like us. A few thoughts
  • I sense a general dislike for CS, AFAIK the braggadocio, car stabbing, and lawsuit against CRKT play into that
  • There are just more fans of those brands, and they saturate the discussion
  • CS doesn't make 10 different collector colors, with slight variations in materials. I personally appreciate that CS just makes strong, hard working knives, not catering primarily to collectors.
  • The tri-ad lock makes a poor fidget spinner. I think that is a reason why a lot of people buy knives.
  • I think most people prefer a smaller knife than most CS models.
Video reviews of the Voyager, Lawman, UH, are all very positive, so they are appreciated by some. I think these are some of the most popular CS knives.

For what you get, CS is a great value, and the marketing is more entertaining than irksome to me.
I agree.

I'd just like to add that I agree that Cold Steel is a great value and marketing is more than fun to watch, but I can't really call myself fanboy.

In my country I have CS retailer and I'm somehow most used to CS since I have their products and I know they perform. And to make it better - the price/performance ratio is just amazing. Usually people in my country are all about fallkniven (from my experience). So naturally I'll always check CS first.

But, as a consumer I will always also say what's something I'd like to see change, like sheath material since I can't even carry my Recon Tanto anymore because it'll get dulled by the sheath. Now I keep it on my closet with newspapers folded over it and headache of not knowing what to do.

And I'd also add that tantos are undervalued by many.

i wanted something small
and got a tanto point paraedge
cs-41t-big.jpg

but i found the small handle
a little dicey.
and so went with the mini and urban pal
which i find the safest mini knife ever!
i guess its underated because its t-handle is
viewed as odd by some, and unlawful by many :)

Don’t know if this counts as underrated, but I’ve got an incoming Kobun! A gift from my awesome old man who’s also a knife nut. Can’t wait to play around with it.

Back