Underrated CS products

The bowie machetes are very under rated. Not as machetes - blades too short - but as a fighting bowie. Big, light, fast - easy to sharpen (including the clip for a back cut) and easy to mod. Cheap enough that if you lose or destroy one, it's not exactly a tragedy.

The bowie machetes are very under rated. Not as machetes - blades too short - but as a fighting bowie. Big, light, fast - easy to sharpen (including the clip for a back cut) and easy to mod. Cheap enough that if you lose or destroy one, it's not exactly a tragedy.
I’ve always been curious about Cold Steel’s 1055 knives but online reviews mentioning uneven grinds, less-than-ideal edge retention, and soft heat treatment gave me pause. I’m referring to the 1055 Kukris, Black Bear knife, Latin machete, gladius, etc.

I’ve always been curious about Cold Steel’s 1055 knives but online reviews mentioning uneven grinds, less-than-ideal edge retention, and soft heat treatment gave me pause. I’m referring to the 1055 Kukris, Black Bear knife, Latin machete, gladius, etc.
Well, those are cheap machetes, but they are functional. I own a couple and they don't disappoint.

The Shanghai Warrior and the Shanghai Shadow are the best renditions of a smatchet at a very reasonable price that I know of.

Not only that. But they can also be modified into extremely close renditions of the British Fur Trade Dag, particularly the Shanghai Warrior. Some of you Fur Trade/ Mountain Man reenactors, or appreciators, might consider this. Look at pictures of Fur Trade Dags and it jumps right out.

When I think underrated, the Recon 1 comes to mind. The Cold Steel community regards it highly, but I don't feel that it gets the praise it deserves in the broader knife community.

I also agree with what others have said about the American Lawman. I put it in the same category as the PM2. It is a fantastic EDC.

When I think underrated, the Recon 1 comes to mind. The Cold Steel community regards it highly, but I don't feel that it gets the praise it deserves in the broader knife community.

I also agree with what others have said about the American Lawman. I put it in the same category as the PM2. It is a fantastic EDC.

This could have been my post. Totally agree with both assessments.

This could have been my post. Totally agree with both assessments.
“In the broader knife community,” that’s true. Based on the EDC threads, most folks seem to prefer ZTs, Hinderers, CRKs, and there’s nothing wrong with that. Those are very fine knives too.

As a knife user though, I do think you’re missing out if you skip the Recon 1. It’s a solid, satisfying tank of a knife.

Medium Espada IMO is the best of the Espada series, it's probably the strongest knife of this size. I didn't know it was discontinued until i tried to buy another last night. It's a bummer :-(

106106115_320340132308727_3654369899341030750_n.jpg

The Bush Ranger is another very underrated cold steel that's seldom talked about. This is actually a great design, and it really should have been much more popular. Great comfortable handle, great steel, great medium size. I think the thickness and the bowie shape may have contributed to its lesser popularity, since people carry knife of this size prefer slightly thinner handle for EDC.

However i would like to change a few things which i think will make it better:
1. Make the handle slightly thinner, NOT TOO THIN, maybe old-school American Lawman thick. Right now it's a bit too thick. I like thick handle, but this is a bit too much.
2. Use thumbstud instead of thumbplate, like the cheapo bush ranger version.
3. Maybe make the blade spear/drop point instead of clip point. Even better maybe make a spear point version in addition to the clip point version.

I've heard people asking for a no-choil American Lawman, i think the able change will make it very close to that.

103929855_910078272807929_5867953714592186128_n.jpg

Last edited:
Medium Espada IMO is the best of the Espada series, it's probably the strongest knife of this size. I didn't know it was discontinued until i tried to buy another last night. It's a bummer :-(

106106115_320340132308727_3654369899341030750_n.jpg
Nice, you got it in XHP too. I’ll probably just get the Aus10a large version in the future.

The Espada XL makes for an awesome meme, but that’s pretty much it lol.

Finn Bear, GI Tanto, Kudu, Eland, and (not a bowie) Bushman?

Not a knife, but I've seen little, if any mention of the "Torpedo" throwing thingamajig, and the various spears, as well.
I'd guess they are somewhat underappriciated too?

The Recon 1s and Trailmasters are fantastic knives, but do you have lesser known knives that performed better than expected? My pick would be the Rajah 3. Heck of a utility knife, and the scales feel great in hand.

CpiPI4J.jpg
Just picked one up. Cant wait to use it tomorrow.

I think cold steel is under rated in general by the knife community. They’ve added a lot to the knife culture and in my opinion deserve to be placed in the top category of knife companies. They have great designs and affordable prices with quality steel not matter the type.
Anyone can get a cold steel knife thanks to their selection of knives and price levels. Their lite lines are and awesome thing. Hats off to making great knives.

I ordered a Frenzy 2 last night. I have been meaning to get one for awhile...
I can't wait for it to get here. My biggest folder will remain my Ti Lite 6" in aluminum and S35VN.
But the frenzy should be quite a bit more pocketable and weighs a lot less.

Too bad they did not sell well as it looks like an excellent design.

The Frenzy is outstanding. Every longer knife I consider buying gets weighed against it.

I think cold steel is under rated in general by the knife community. They’ve added a lot to the knife culture and in my opinion deserve to be placed in the top category of knife companies. They have great designs and affordable prices with quality steel not matter the type.
Anyone can get a cold steel knife thanks to their selection of knives and price levels. Their lite lines are and awesome thing. Hats off to making great knives.

A wide selection of quality knives at relatively bargain prices. Without a doubt, the best bargains on the knife market currently. That s what map pricing has done to the competitors, put the burden of the inefficient business practices of some knife retailers on the backs of the consumers.
Keep up the good work Cold Steel.

Back