Unexpectedly good budget blades?

I've been a RAT-1 fan ever since I got my first one - now I'm hooked. The D2 models especially rock for when I'm not going to be sharpening it for a bit; AUS-8 is fine if you keep the edge keen regularly.

On the subject of AUS-8, when Cold Steel changed their Voyagers away from AUS-8, I grabbed a few on clearance - great value beaters that just don;t seem to quit.

Wazu013,
How are you liking the Milwaukee knife? I've got a buddy that might do well with the tanto version. Not my taste but probably up his alley.

uuVAYA1.jpg

ApTZQYq.jpg

I want to try:
s-l1000.jpg

It's pretty close to a 0452 in overall shape, but I think it's different enough to consider it more inspired by/hommage than a clone, and for ~55ish dollar it seems like a pretty sweet knife.

That Bestech Swordfish has been popping up on Massdrop (3 color options) quite a bit the last few months for $40. Keep an eye out, the last two drops were really popular, so I imagine it will pop again soon.

That Bestech Swordfish has been popping up on Massdrop (3 color options) quite a bit the last few months for $40. Keep an eye out, the last two drops were really popular, so I imagine it will pop again soon.

Thanks for the heads up, I like the orange handled one pictured. I'll try one out if I can find it for $40.

One that caught my eye is the Manly Comrade. These seem pretty scarce these days. I really do want to grab one.
It’s a super knife, I can only see these going up in price as the company develops. They are really well made and from excellent materials. Walk and talk is also most pleasing. :)

Recent budget purchases par extraordinaire were the venerable Mercator K55K and the surprisingly excellent Condor Kephart. You can get really pleasing, well made knifes for a lot less money than we often spend on ‘em.

Thanks for the heads up, I like the orange handled one pictured. I'll try one out if I can find it for $40.

Yea, that's the one I wanted too, lol. They sold out of the orange version on the last drop... Got more in stock and sold out again... All before I got there.

Seems like a lot of knife for $40.

It’s a super knife, I can only see these going up in price as the company develops. They are really well made and from excellent materials. Walk and talk is also most pleasing. :)

Recent budget purchases par extraordinaire were the venerable Mercator K55K and the surprisingly excellent Condor Kephart. You can get really pleasing, well made knifes for a lot less money than we often spend on ‘em.

Honestly I’m having a hard time deciding which color Comrade I want. Leaning toward white/black, blue/black, or just plain black, but all the colors are pretty nice.

+1 for Mora Companions
+1 for Opinels
Both are great knives at a great price.

I looked at a lot of budget blades ($25 or less) a while back, trying to find something for my daughter that was useful, maintainable, and cheap enough to replace if (or when) lost.
There were a number of disappointments. There were a few surprisingly good blades too. Out of the bunch I looked at my personal favorite was the A.G. Russell Woodswalker. It is a simple, small knife that can fit in a back pocket and does well with anything in suburbia, including food prep and firesticks. The edge needs to be touched up a lot more often than say a knife in M390, but for the price it is a great option.

View media item 3426Enjoy.

Wazu013,
How are you liking the Milwaukee knife? I've got a buddy that might do well with the tanto version. Not my taste but probably up his alley.
I like it. The picture is from when it was new. It's in my truck tool box now. I don't use it for anything but cutting things. So far it's holding its edge. It flips well and locks up tight.

Back