'Unfailable ' Flipper tab action knives??

Status
Not open for further replies.
LET ME SHOW YA SOMETHIN

*Video removed, i think people watched more than the intended 3 seconds so you'll just imagine hearing the tag line above in Jim Carrey's voice :)

Anyone else feel the same way?

(if you don't get the joke, i can make them all fail *no funny business either*)

Last edited:
I mean, I can make any flipper not fully open and engage, by not flipping it open fully or hard enough....

Anything will fail if you push it past it's limits, that's not a new revelation.

So you agree. Perhaps would of been better if i clipped together 10 videos of people saying 'its impossible to get this flipper tab to fail, watch as i try'
but who has time for that? :)

So you agree. Perhaps would of been better if i clipped together 10 videos of people saying 'its impossible to get this flipper tab to fail, watch as i try'
Are you saying flippers are more prone to absolute failure than regular framelocks? Because that makes no sense. What type of failure are you talking about? More information is always better.

How about clipping together an explanation of what you mean by "fail" here?

I can get them to fail in cutting by putting their blades on the medium to be cut and then not applying pressure.

Are you saying flippers are more prone to absolute failure than regular framelocks? Because that makes no sense. What type of failure are you talking about? More information is always better.

Just simply failure to fully deploy, like they are demonstrating the flipper action in numerous knife review videos

If I grind the flipper tab off entirely...they don't work! Fail!

Yep, but i stated 'no funny business' in OP ;)

I think what the OP was asserting was that there are no flippers that he cannot get to fail to completely open.

That has been my experience as well. In fact, in the hands of someone not familiar with manual flippers, I find most people cause partial opens. Three different girlfriends have been generally unable to flip what I thought were foolproof knives.

It’s a bit of a sobering moment to realize that operating them is a sort of minor skill by itself, which reminds me of how I use to struggle with the Kershaw Skyline way back in the day.

Just simply failure to fully deploy, like they are demonstrating the flipper action in numerous knife review videos

So what do you want them to do....open by just touching the flipper?

Again, if I don't exert enough pressure on a flipper, I can get them all to not open. That's not failure.

If I can't make a perfect omelet, that doesn't mean the eggs failed.

Or if I can't sharpen a knife on a Sharpmaker, that doesn't mean it failed.

Not being to open a flipper is not a design failure, it's operator failure.

Sometimes it's hard to open a slipjoint. Fail!

I can't flip my bali. Fail!

When I throw a knife, it doesn't stick. Fail!

I own nine flipper knives. Only two have never failed to open upon trying -- my Massdrop Gent, and my Vanguard Mini Sheepdog. My Kershaw Atmos was pretty reliable, but the sharp jimping on the flipper tab was a hindrance until I took a rasp to it.

So what do you want them to do....open by just touching the flipper?

Again, if I don't exert enough pressure on a flipper, I can get them all to not open. That's not failure.

If I can't make a perfect omelet, that doesn't mean the eggs failed.

Or if I can't sharpen a knife on a Sharpmaker, that doesn't mean it failed.

Not being to open a flipper is not a design failure, it's operator failure.

I watch many review videos, a lot of times people describe the deployment action is so well tuned with the detent and design that its impossible to overcome the detent with enough pressure to pop the blade out but not fully deploy.

If someone talks about ' how can a blade deploy fully blade when the pocket clip sticks on their pants' , i'm taking my ball and going home :)
DISCLAIMER: *this is not a challenge in how high you can make your post count*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back