1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

'Unfailable ' Flipper tab action knives??

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by jp9mm, Jul 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jp9mm

jp9mm Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 1, 2019
    LET ME SHOW YA SOMETHIN

*Video removed, i think people watched more than the intended 3 seconds so you'll just imagine hearing the tag line above in Jim Carrey's voice :)

Anyone else feel the same way?

(if you don't get the joke, i can make them all fail *no funny business either*)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  2. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    wut

ScooterG, jux t and marcinek like this.
  3. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    I might if I knew what your point was. o_O

4. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    Jim Carrey was never funny?

I'm with you.

r8shell likes this.
  5. jp9mm

Apr 1, 2019
    Not sure if the text was too small explaining it or if you're fixed blade only guys who never heard of ' flipper' folding knives?

6. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    Ah. Fine print.

OK...how do you make a flipper fail? Do you make it not flip open?

7. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Anything will fail if you push it past it's limits, that's not a new revelation.

hexenjager likes this.
  8. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    Quite aware of them. How do they fail?

9. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    I mean, I can make any flipper not fully open and engage, by not flipping it open fully or hard enough....

10. jp9mm

Apr 1, 2019
    So you agree. Perhaps would of been better if i clipped together 10 videos of people saying 'its impossible to get this flipper tab to fail, watch as i try'
    but who has time for that? :)

11. unwisefool

Jan 22, 2007
    Are you saying flippers are more prone to absolute failure than regular framelocks? Because that makes no sense. What type of failure are you talking about? More information is always better.

hexenjager and marcinek like this.
  12. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    How about clipping together an explanation of what you mean by "fail" here?

I can get them to fail in cutting by putting their blades on the medium to be cut and then not applying pressure.

13. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    If I grind the flipper tab off entirely...they don't work! Fail!

14. jp9mm

Apr 1, 2019
    Just simply failure to fully deploy, like they are demonstrating the flipper action in numerous knife review videos

Yep, but i stated 'no funny business' in OP ;)

15. unwisefool

Jan 22, 2007
    Ah ok, that was not immediately apparent.

hexenjager likes this.
  16. Comeuppance

Comeuppance Fixed Blade EDC Emisssary Gold Member

Jan 12, 2013
    I think what the OP was asserting was that there are no flippers that he cannot get to fail to completely open.

That has been my experience as well. In fact, in the hands of someone not familiar with manual flippers, I find most people cause partial opens. Three different girlfriends have been generally unable to flip what I thought were foolproof knives.

It’s a bit of a sobering moment to realize that operating them is a sort of minor skill by itself, which reminds me of how I use to struggle with the Kershaw Skyline way back in the day.

jp9mm and Lapedog like this.
  17. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    So what do you want them to do....open by just touching the flipper?

Again, if I don't exert enough pressure on a flipper, I can get them all to not open. That's not failure.

If I can't make a perfect omelet, that doesn't mean the eggs failed.

Or if I can't sharpen a knife on a Sharpmaker, that doesn't mean it failed.

Not being to open a flipper is not a design failure, it's operator failure.

115Italian and hexenjager like this.
  18. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    Sometimes it's hard to open a slipjoint. Fail!

I can't flip my bali. Fail!

When I throw a knife, it doesn't stick. Fail!

19. Pteronarcyd

Pteronarcyd

Feb 19, 2019
    I own nine flipper knives. Only two have never failed to open upon trying -- my Massdrop Gent, and my Vanguard Mini Sheepdog. My Kershaw Atmos was pretty reliable, but the sharp jimping on the flipper tab was a hindrance until I took a rasp to it.

jp9mm likes this.
  20. jp9mm

Apr 1, 2019

I watch many review videos, a lot of times people describe the deployment action is so well tuned with the detent and design that its impossible to overcome the detent with enough pressure to pop the blade out but not fully deploy.

If someone talks about ' how can a blade deploy fully blade when the pocket clip sticks on their pants' , i'm taking my ball and going home :)
    DISCLAIMER: *this is not a challenge in how high you can make your post count*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.