'Unfailable ' Flipper tab action knives??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watch many review videos, a lot of times people describe the deployment action is so well tuned with the detent and design that its impossible to overcome the detent with enough pressure to pop the blade out but not fully deploy.

So you say they say it is impossible to not fully deploy those, i.e., but you say you can make them all not fully deploy.

Got it.

Again, if you found a way to make them all not deploy, that is not failure.

So how, if everybody is out there opening their flippers just fine, is the technique you have developed to open a flipper but have it not fully deploy not "funny business"?

It is nothing more than a contrived method to get something to fail, just the same as my omelet recipe fail method above.

We have it. It’s called an assisted flipper knife.

Those actually have a legit claim to say unfailable deployment, I wonder if everyone has just accepted the over exaggeration in describing a flipper action that is really good?

What happens when someone can actually stand behind unfailable deployment flipper tab design, like an assisted could?

Boy who cried wolf.

Last edited:
To be fair, I've seen people fail to use thumbstuds to open a knife into the locked position

Those actually have a legit claim to say unfailable deployment, I wonder if everyone has just accepted the over exaggeration in describing a flipper action that is really good?

What happens when someone can actually stand behind unfailable deployment flipper tab design, like an assisted could?
What if the torsion bar breaks? :eek:

What if the torsion bar breaks? :eek:

sec 10 rev A.3.a
'funny business' entails anything not normal usage/function (ref 2a - normal usage defined as :applying pressure with your finger and having the blade start to deploy

notes:
*Revised for post #33

Last edited:
sec 10 rev A.3
'funny business' entails anything not normal usage (ref 2a - normal usage defined as :applying pressure with your finger and having the blade start to deploy
A torsion bar can break from normal usage.

No one here is posting to just raise their post count.

They are posting because your claim of failure is untrue.

I’ll do you one better;

I can just put my thumb in the path of the blade and get an assisted knife to fail anywhere within its opening swing I want it to.

I played with a G and G Hawk that I coulnd't get to fail. I thought it was assisted it was so fast and completely reliable.

I played with a G and G Hawk that I coulnd't get to fail. I thought it was assisted it was so fast and completely reliable.
Looks like an auto..

So back to manual flipper knives... the hardest for me believe it or not was the $30 kershaw atmos

Btw flipper depolying is just a skill that takes time to learn. The odd time I will find a knife that I need to get used to how the flipper deploys and sometimes there are certain flipper knives that just have truly a poor design for flipping.

I’ll share the secrets of becoming a flippin’ boss though. The most important part of it is learning how to build up pressure before the detent releases so that way when the detent breaks all that built up pressure pushes the blade out. Once you can master that you can figure out almost any flipper action to the point it becomes second nature.

Also be aware that there are two styles of flipper tab opening knives. Some knives open well either way but some only will open reliably with one or the other.

1: Push button method, involves you pushing on the end of the flipper tab to build up pressure until the detent breaks and shoots the blade out. The motion is like pushing the back of the flipper tab into the spine of the handle as if one were pushing a button. This opening method tends to rely more on one’s ability to preload pressure onto the flipper tab before the detent breaks because your finger hitting the spine of the handle will greatly limit the amount of “follow through” one is able to put on the tab.

2: light switch method, involves pulling the flipper tab down in a sweeping motion towards the butt end of the knife. This motion can be less reliant on mastering the detent break since the finger sweeps the tab down, usually without being stopped by it hitting the handle spine. Thus one is able to build up more force by following through after the detent breaks.

My Massdrop Laconico Keen has never misfired when flipping it open, and I can't even get it to misfire intentionally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back