Unfinished, really?

PeteyTwoPointOne

Platinum Member
I think CPK's so-called "unfinished" offerings are some of the most CLASSY :cool: blades crafted by ANYBODY...ANYWHERE!

I'd love to see @Nathan the Machinist & @Jo the Machinist make these finishes as an option for CPK!

I think it'd be a smash hit! :thumbsup: How about you? :D

Your honor, I'd like to enter exhibit "D2" as the first piece of evidence for the Defense's case ;)...

w1tSzqx.jpg

Yk4GIGJ.jpg

htnCgwg.jpg

I love the character the unfinished look brings the knife (not that it lacked any)

I think CPK's so-called "unfinished" offerings are some of the most CLASSY :cool: blades crafted by ANYBODY...ANYWHERE!

I'd love to see @Nathan the Machinist & @Jo the Machinist make these finishes as an option for CPK!

Your honor, I'd like to enter exhibit "D2" as the first piece of evidence for the Defense's case ;)...

w1tSzqx.jpg

Yk4GIGJ.jpg

htnCgwg.jpg
Agreed. Love the contrast

Yk4GIGJ.jpg

That is a great finish and look no doubt. Are you concerned at all about the open pores in the steel? Just curious your thoughts on that. Thank you.

I really like the "bark on" look too.
The EDCs are conventional melt Crucible D2. IMO this is a better steel with better edge retention and particular cutting characteristics in soft abrasive materials like hide that makes it ideal in something like a skinning knife etc. But it lacks the toughness required for a large knife intended for rough use like the HDFK. I wanted to try a D2 for this pattern but CPM D2 doesn't perform for me, so we tried PSF27 for a nice "middle of the road" alternative.

With D2, the heat treat is very critical and it deviates from the industry standard HT developed for tooling considerably. Most people who have used D2 in a knife haven't seen what it is actually capable of, it is truly a high performance material. It isn't stainless and it doesn't have great toughness nor fine edge stability so it doesn't always test as well as super steels in particular testing that looks at joules of energy absorbed in a fracture impact test, catra knife abrasive media testing, and rough use demonstrations in things like nails etc. But, with an optimized heat treat that addresses some of the underlying fine edge stability issues it is both tougher and has better real wold edge retention than most super steels in real world use and will run circles around most materials that most people have experience with, when used normally as a knife. Despite not being particularly popular, nor commonly done "right" it has enormous real world performance potential in a working knife and is one of my favorite materials. PSF27 is a modern variation of D2 that has the toughness needed for a heavy duty field knife, we're trying it out in some Heavy Duty Field Knife prototypes with the goal of achieving some of that D2 goodness in a big knife.

I was just admiring this the other day as well. The look is really good.

Just a bonus really if it saves any finishing costs.

The Bark-On/"Unfinished" look is fantastic! I am partial to the "zombie turd" acid wash finish myself, but this is a close second.

I still love the stonewashed finish as well, but I have a preference for darker, more rugged(?) finishes. They are definitely more appealing to me

Ok, but are those little pits going to become corossion magnets?

I'd answer it this way...

1. D3V won't rust inside a humidity controlled safe-- even with dimples. ;) I didn't say that to be a smartazz, btw. But let's face reality...a whole buncha CPK's never see any action in the wild...and if it seems I'm pointing fingers>>> well, that just means I'm pointing 3 of my own back at me! :p

2. However, I do have a couple "Competition Finish" Busse's in INFI that do see regular action and they've never rusted and they're wall to wall dimples on the primary grind. Different steel, I realize, but do you think D3V is that far off? INFI is basically a tool steel with an extreme Anneal/Quench/HT protocol. I believe the HT Nathan uses helps with the rust resistance quite a bit.

So, for safe queens...dimples are a non-factor for rust. And for a user, well, that guy or gal will likely service their blade well enough to where it's not a factor for them either, in my estimation.

Last edited:

1. D3V won't rust inside a humidity controlled safe-- even with dimples. ;) I didn't say that to be a smartazz, btw. But let's face reality...a whole buncha CPK's never see any action in the wild...and if it seems I'm pointing fingers>>> well, that just means I'm pointing 3 of my own back at me! :p

2. However, I do have a couple "Competition Finish" Busse's in INFI that do see regular action and they've never rusted and they're wall to wall dimples on the primary grind. Different steel, I realize, but do you think D3V is that far off? INFI is basically a tool steel with an extreme Anneal/Quench/HT protocol. I believe the HT Nathan uses helps with the rust resistance quite a bit.

So, for safe queens...dimples are a non-factor for rust. And for a user, well, that guy or gal will likely service their blade well enough to where it's not a factor for them either, in my estimation.

I shall respond like this!

The “bark” on D3V is nothing like PSF-27 (D2) HDFK.

So this would only pertain to D2 and the rest of your argument is moot!

For the record, my CPKs for looking at sit on a shelf above my desk where they can be admired, and a few others on my desk so they can be handled regularly. I have 2 kids and wife that’s been off work for 5 years. Oh and I’ve been off work since October. My safe is empty!

Love that finish “ Bark on “ look and also think it would make an awesome option as a finish. To go one step further I wouldn’t mind some tooling marks on there :)

I find D3V more rust resistant than my INFI. I done hiking in the rain and forest stream hike with D3V. It never rusted. My TGLB, B8 and NMSFNO show some minor surface rust doing the same activities.

Those dimples don’t help corrosion resistance, but that bark on D2 PSF-27 sure looks perty with those antique micarta scales! :thumbsup:;)

Maybe this could be an optional finish on the behemoth chopper ?????????;):D

I find D3V more rust resistant than my INFI. I done hiking in the rain and forest stream hike with D3V. It never rusted. My TGLB, B8 and NMSFNO show some minor surface rust doing the same activities.
I’m also very pleased with the corrosion resistance of D3V.
The HDFK has been on the beach with me on 5 or so occasions over the last week and I haven’t noticed any rust spots at all!
About a year ago, I did something similar with a 3V knife (with a peened finish) from a different manufacturer, and there was noticeable surface rust.

I much prefer the standard Production Stonewashed finish:thumbsup: Have no idea if the Dimples are more susceptible to rusting! They look OK but I can live without them! The last thing I want however are additional Tooling Marks;)

Last edited:
Back