Unidentified SOG S1 and S2

Man, what a wealth of knowledge, I really appreciate the info. I was very luck to find a SCUBA/DEMO sitting covered in dust in a box at flea market when I was TDY to Pearl Harbor in 2010, and snag it along with a Randal sheath for $180. SogCollector told me it was an early production and worth a great deal more, it is now the pinnacle of my SOG collection. I am quite jealous of some of the other finds you all have come across, but I am afraid of all the knowledge we are loosing about the history of the "Extraordinary Blades" of yore. Hell to most of the guys I serve with, SOG is just another maker of relatively cheap blades at the Navy Exchange.

Vintage SOG and AL MAR.. One of my weaknesses in life.... There BIG TIME collectors who actually hid there interest for these production knives.. People dont really understand the early one were much more than a production knife.. allot of time went into them

Got my eye on a few now.. SOG DEMO with a randall sheath-- WOW sounds like amatch-- i pay 200 in a sec.. great score

Guys . I am in need of a vintage SOG S1 sheath for my serialized SOG S1 bowie.. #1308..

I dont want a newer leather one.. I want a after market SOGMACV or a vintage SOG s1.. Yeah i am asking for the impossible..

Girlyman-- man i would love to get a PDF of that old SOG knife magazine ad to keep with my knife.. Hmmmm.. help!

Thanks guys

OKAY GUYS!! I received my SOG S1 serlized 1300's (the number) BOWIE... Mine has the SOG SQUARE EMBLEM unlike the 1st ones that have SOG SPECILITIES spell out.. However here are the difference i have notice MY SERLIZED VERSION VS the normal vintage S1..
1) MINE DOES NOT HAVE A FACETED TIP
2) MY SF EMBLEM ON BLADE NEXT TO THE SEKI JAPAN STAMP is further back (pighunter does not have a pic of both sides of his blade)

very interesting.. Thanks to KEN for confirming Hattori made these.. Its easy for history not to be documented .. Great research and his site is well just awesome

hello, dax0007:

The attachments are not showing.

By the way, how about a photo of your new score: The sog s1 serialized?

Regards,
d-1

Hate myself 15 years and ONE FINALLY COMES UP and i could have got it i think for 750.. then i go and have barbque with the family for 110$.. I should have told the family they gotta wait till next payweek..lol

i will get u pics of mine soon.. its 96% mint

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 43
  • s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 37
  • s-l1600 (4).jpg
    s-l1600 (4).jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Thanks, dax0007.

Yep. That S1 is truly "old school." Nice! I like that "tip."

Looking forward to the photos.

Regards,
d-1

Okay.. I seen allot of good info on these OLD SOG S1 MACV though out the years.. PIGHUNTER has provided extremly VALUABLE info.. However there is nothing like getting it in your OWN HANDS and making YOUR OWN comnparisons..

Okay getting to the POINT.. Those of you who have NOT owned a SERILIZED S1 - Go for it.-try to find one,, You will want to keep it!.
Definately a few steps up in quality compared to even the vintage SOG S1..

FIRST LET ME SAY when i compare SOG S1's I am NOT COMPARING THE NEW SCHOOL VERSIONS which i consider are
-SOG SUPER BOWIE
-SOG S1 thats NOT SQUARE EMBLEM
-EVEN THE COMMENRITIVE SOG S1 that came in the WOOD BOX with SERIAL NUMBER ON GUARD( VERY NICE ONE, BUT NOT IN THE SAM LEAGUE AS THE OLDER ONES)

Whats with D.Spencers COA letters.. GEEZ MAN-- cheap paper crap.. pisses me off. I loved the old company so much and to see all those COA made out of copy paper its like WTF!

Herre are important characteristics i have found in looking at 80s SOG S1(maybe early 90s)-- REMEMBER i am not talking abot newer ver.
First...
PIGHUNTER produced(pic is provided in page 1 of this thread) a EARLY SERIAL NUMBER SOG S1 with more importantly the original SOG ADVERTISMENT showing something about
serial numbers
5-100
101-300 ...etc..etc...

Clearly THE BLADES MARKED JAPAN ON THE BUTT had SOG SPECILITIES deep engraved on the BLADE VS SQUARE SOG EMBLEM and SEKI JAPAN on the blade..

NOT SURE HOW MANY of the SERILIZED S1s had engraved SOG SPECILITIES, BUT based on the pictures i provided of #"28?" which has SOG SPECILITIES i would have to estimate
the FIRST 300 were like that(like the one i missed out on -link provided in this thread) ..

is 1308 and I have seen a few in the 900 serial number range that have the SOG SQUARE emblem.....

Well I also noticed that "ALL" SERILIZED SOG S1 HAVE THE ENGRAVD SF EMBLEM futher BACK towards the GUARD vs non serilized SOG S1s where the engraved SF EMBLEM is inline with the begining of the BLADE GRIND....

ALSO most intersting FACTS have seen are:
1) serilized one DO NOT HAVE THE FACETED TIP(which BTW i think is badazz-- i like the newer tips)
2) The serlized ones have a darker handle, cant be the age because i have SEEN EARLY S1 90s with lighter handles

Also if you READ PIGHUNTER SOG ADVERTISMENT you see something interesting

AG EDWARDS AND LOLYD HALE were the 2 instrucmental in redesign.. Man i would love to hear the story from mr. AG Edwards.. His name is in the SOG advertisment. So i wonder if he worked with HATTORI on this!! THIS WOULD BE GREAT for Ken to track down since AG EDWARDS could shed some light..

I am far from a english teacher so dont beat me up on my gramar/spelling:barf:..

Attachments

• 20151206_200230 (Medium).jpg
    20151206_200230 (Medium).jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 20151206_200306 (Medium).jpg
    20151206_200306 (Medium).jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 20151206_200335 (Medium).jpg
    20151206_200335 (Medium).jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 20151206_200350 (Medium).jpg
    20151206_200350 (Medium).jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
BOY I SURE WISH PIGHUNTER WOULD PDF that SOG ADVERTISMENT FOR ME??? I cant email him... I woulld definately GIFT him$$$ for a MCrib sandwhich or lunch:eek:)

Very nice acquisition!

AG Edwards? The financial company that is now Wells Fargo? Or is there another one that makes knives?
Maybe they provided the finance to get Spencer Frazer's SOG off the ground?
Lloyd Hale is a famous knifemaker and since he goes back with AG Russell I wouldn't be surprised at all
if he had input in the design. Yes would love to see this PDF.

Very nice acquisition!

AG Edwards? The financial company that is now Wells Fargo? Or is there another one that makes knives?
Maybe they provided the finance to get Spencer Frazer's SOG off the ground?
Lloyd Hale is a famous knifemaker and since he goes back with AG Russell I wouldn't be surprised at all
if he had input in the design. Yes would love to see this PDF.

HAHHA>> Sorry u are right/.. I am type A everything==typing fassst.. Yep Its AG RUSSELL..

Pighunter provided the first SOG ad on these SOGS1 , but hard to read.. here is same one off ebay.. I printed it out and laminated it with my knife, but
looks like crap cause ITS APICTURE VS PDF.. Hoping PIGHUNTER give me a pdf.. i emailed the ebay seller to see if he will

Attachments

• s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 29
sry but that ad isnt for your knife

Heya Dave!! Welcome to thebladeforums... Email in reference to the rules on these forums.. i know with your extensive knife collection you will enjoy this site to the fullest.. wealth of info..

I will PM you some information

seeya

Back