Unimpressed with M390

It's odd. My M390 586 has had one of the most durable edges I've had. I haven't even reground it as it came fantastic.

I've stropped it a few times and it returns to crazy sharp in an instant.

Sounds like you got one that slipped by qc

I'm hesitant to say it was a HT issue that got by qc. It could be a factory edge issue but I don't know how BM sharpens now days. Keep us posted.

Sorry to hear about your experience Jason B. with your knife. As we can only speculate what can be causing these issues without seeing the knife I would encourage you to take advantage of our LifeSharp Services & Warranty program. With the knife in hand we can better evaluate it and act accordingly. If you choose to go this route please complete a LifeSharp form (http://www.benchmade.com/services/lifetime_services.aspx) and accompany it with your knife when sending it to us. We'll take care of the rest from there including shipping your knife back to you. Thank you!

~ The Benchmade Team

I will be watching this thread to see what BM has to say, or if they find the HT is off.

Jason will certainly know if there is a problem with the steel, so I'm sure there is.

But my experience with M390 has been excellent. I just did some hard chopping (about 20 times) on a hard, dry piece of wood with my Barrage 581, which has an M390 blade with pretty acute geometry. I have it profiled to 30 degrees inclusive. The edge shoulders are 0.0185 inches. So that blade has more acute edge geometry than Jason's Ritter, and I'm fairly sure I stressed it harder than Jason did. The edge shows almost no damage. With a 10X loupe, I can see a couple very, very small rolls -- almost invisible. No chips. I noticed only after slicing paper and felt a little roughness.

Sounds like Benchmade will get it taken care of.

Last edited:
What our Mod didn't say is: when shipping product to them please leave the box home. The knife will be returned in a gray repair box typically sent via UPS. For those that haven't taken advantage of the LifeSharp services, Benchmade frequently does more than just sharpen. Lastly - make sure the knife is insured, automatically $50 for USPS and $100 for UPS.

Did you notice anything when sharpening different from other M390 blades you've done?

Its was experiences sharpening M390 like I had in this video that made me want M390, the knife I believe belongs to a BF member. Mine does not respond to this method as well and has lot's of burr problems.

[video=youtube;29rL2dJZpiw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29rL2dJZpiw&list=UUfsHYm19KjjnUlpG8WVMZOA[/video]

So let me get this straight......

OP is having some issues with HIS example of m390, but doesn't want to send it in and would rather wildly speculate that the entire batch was ruined by Benchmade...... Yup ok

My m390 mini ritter is absolutely perfect, and it was like this from day 1.

SEND IT IN. They'll fix the problem for ya.

I got my mini Ritter M390 three months ago and the factory bevel is uneven (something like 40/50). I've been touching it up with a ceramic rod and strop and will eventually re profile it with DMT's but so far I haven't had the need to. Been stropping it once a week and touched it up twice and it's been sharp enough for my needs (hair shaving, medicine tablet splitting sharp).

In short, it's been my main EDC the past three months with the factory bevel and I've been very happy with its performance so far and consider it a significant upgrade from my old standby, the 154CM mini Grip.

I wonder what's going on with OP's and will mine show problems when I finally feel the need to reprofile it. Hopefully not.

Its was experiences sharpening M390 like I had in this video that made me want M390, the knife I believe belongs to a BF member. Mine does not respond to this method as well and has lot's of burr problems.

[video=youtube;29rL2dJZpiw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29rL2dJZpiw&list=UUfsHYm19KjjnUlpG8WVMZOA[/video]

Nice video. I would like to someday get some Waterstones.

I'll be very interested in following this thread and what you find out, I realize compared to many on here my knowledge is minimal but I have a couple blades of M390 both seem to take a great edge and hold up well and I have been pleased with the performance. I was looking at making a couple more purchases with M390 this gives me a bit of pause.
I hope you get a good resolution .

I have a feeling this is a somewhat isolated issue, and wouldn't let it stop me from buying another BM in M390.
If it is a HT issue, I am certain BM will address the issue.

So let me get this straight......

OP is having some issues with HIS example of m390, but doesn't want to send it in and would rather wildly speculate that the entire batch was ruined by Benchmade...... Yup ok

My m390 mini ritter is absolutely perfect, and it was like this from day 1.

SEND IT IN. They'll fix the problem for ya.

So let me get this straight, you come in here fail to read all of my posts and speculate to my actions?

Looks like someone needs a reading comprehension class.

So let me get this straight, you come in here fail to read all of my posts and speculate to my actions?

Looks like someone needs a reading comprehension class.

Reading comprehension is only a relevant factor when you are actually reading something and fail to understand what you are reading. I didn't even see the post where you said you were sending it in;)

Anyway, good luck with the knife. Hope everything works out for ya:thumbup:

And I was just looking at a 710 at Knifeworks in M390. I think I'll hold off for now. :(

Back