1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Unimpressed with M390

Discussion in 'Benchmade Knife Company' started by Jason B., Dec 15, 2014.

1. RevDevil

RevDevil Super Evil Supermod Staff Member Super Mod

Nov 9, 2009
    I wouldn't start climbing aboard the panic wagon quite yet. Buy a 710 with confidence. As stated before, if this was a huge problem don't you think we would have had a couple dozen threads by now already?

2. Ballenxj

Ballenxj

Oct 30, 2010
    LOL! Most likely would have. The reality is that I picked up a Nimravus in 154 CM to quench my lust for getting another Benchmade.
    I think I have at least three fixed blade Benchmades now. :eek:

3. 338375

Nov 4, 2006
    What Charlie said... If this was a common issue with all of BM's 390 knives, the servers here would overload with complaint threads

4. loonybin

loonybin Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 1999
    Yes, you should hold off.

And get the Knifeworks 810 in M390 instead.

:D

5. Ballenxj

Ballenxj

Oct 30, 2010
  6. rockscreation16

rockscreation16

Mar 3, 2012
    Any more info on this? I have a large Ritter in M390, and the edge seems to roll way easily.

7. Buffalohump

Buffalohump

Sep 7, 2006
    Very surprised to see this, carry a M390 Ritter most every day and have not had any issues with it. Granted I use it for regular stuff and just touch it up on the Sharpmaker.

Have a couple of knives in M390 and have found the steel to be excellent, and would describe it as my favourite stainless steel. Interested to hear what BM have to say about it.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  8. rockscreation16

rockscreation16

Mar 3, 2012
    I'm a big fan of m390. Had it on a model 710 before and it was excellent. Wear resistance was spectacular. Seems like the edge rolls faster on this knife than my 154cm benchmades.

9. 338375

Nov 4, 2006
    Jason, any word from Benchmade yet on your knife ?

10. billym

billym

Jan 8, 2006
    OP Please give us an update.

11. RevDevil

Nov 9, 2009
    Relax people. For those that don't know, SHOT Show is around the corner and every major and minor manufacturer with a product to sell related to the show is gearing up for it. Benchmade may or may not be a bit back logged, it's anyone's guess.

12. Stainz

Stainz

Jun 24, 2007
    I have BM 0480-1, 0581, and two 0755's and a Boker, I think, in m390. They behave similarly; keeping an edge as well as good (BM or Buck - not Gerber!) S30V, while being able to be resharpened (Sharpmaker) more easily than S30V - similar to 154CM & S35VN. None of my limited sampling has either chipped or rolled - but, then, I only cut paper, wood, veggies & fruit, etc. I love S30V, but had my first experience with it been the Gerber I got some years ago - a Freeman Stag/S30V/leather sheath (Made in USA!) - I would avoid it - it was soft and rolled it's edge. I carefully reground and sharpened it - it's now sharp - but still remains unused. Overheated edge or poor HT - either is possible. A sampling of one is most important when it is your 'one'. My experience with Buck and BM and S30V left me predisposed to consider the Gerber example as a fluke, so I continued buying S30V - as I will m390.

Stainz

13. dvn00

dvn00

May 2, 2012
    I've never had anything less than above par with BM. They process and ship efficiently and answer emails quickly. I'm a loyal BM fan b/c my experience has always been excellent. To be straight up I own a dozen BMs and have not had to send one back, but I always request studs, clips, screws, washers, etc. and they comply.

Sucks for the OP - BM is awesome to me.

14. JohnLT13

JohnLT13

Dec 11, 2014
    My 761 gets extremely sharp and stats that way a long time. Wish my CRKs sported the same steel.

15. whp

whp

Apr 26, 2009
    Last week I sent a knife back to Benchmade for an adjustment on the lockup. The day they received it, two days after mailing it, they emailed me and said they would work on it and have it back to me within a week. Typical great service, whatever their other commitments.
    I also am interested in the feedback Jason gets from Benchmade regarding his blade. From Benchmade s above post, it seems they are also interested in this knife.
    I ve been happy with my Ritter Grip with m390 but I have nowhere near the judgement that Jason has.

16. calc

calc

Apr 7, 2014
    I for one have not had the best luck with high carbide steels at low angles or thinly ground.

Right, plus there's always the possibility that the edge was burned during grinding, in which case multiple sharpenings would recede back into better steel and the issue might resolve itself. But it sounds like you can rule that out.

That does sound fishy, I haven't had burr problems with M390 or 204P before, and you even have a past video to compare your Grip to so it does sound like something's off.

Very interested to see what Benchmade finds.

17. razorburn

razorburn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2007
    No problem here with any of BM's M390.I have to say the on BM 710-1401 received was really sharp.

On a side note,I have a S30V Spyderco Manix 2 which will not take an edge,first time sharpening it had a heck of a time getting rid of the burr and when I did,was not sharp at all,not cutting but tearing paper.I suspect a bad heat treat.Ran my thumb over it,didn't feel like the usual toothyness.Sharpening it two more times the same thing,until finally,I put a large coarse wire edge on the knife,then a fine wire edge and then finally using a 1500 grit hone lightly,even though the burr would roll at the lightest of strokes.In the end, it was able to cut paper sort of cleanly but did not have the characteristic S30V toothyness.

18. ginaz

ginaz

Apr 19, 2001
    I have a 710-1 that holds an incredible edge. I seem to recall some of those blades being 62+ Rc. Not sure where my 730 LE in m390 falls but it is far less impressive. not quite "disappointing" but not great, not upper tier. Hmm, maybe a reheat by Phil Wilson is in order?

19. RevDevil

Nov 9, 2009
    People were asking a couple days after he said it would be mailed, maybe not actually after being sent back. That and knowing how SHOT Show is a mad scramble for all manufacturers to get their best and brightest products to show off has an impact on time for just about company. As far as "judgement" is concerned, maybe "experience" would be a different/better word to describe. Not everyone uses their knvies the same way. Jason here has his own methods for testing an edge and they work for him others do have others that work for them. No one way is really "better" than another, just different is all. It is entirely possible that Benchmade changed up their heat treat or maybe they did have a bad batch, who knows, (we will surely never know, that much I can assure you). I am glad that the few M390 Benchmades I have do work well. I'm interested too in seeing how this pans out.

20. calc

calc

Apr 7, 2014
    I trust Jason's judgement pretty soundly, but yes, people need to remember that Benchmade is:

A) A large company.
    B) Busy at the moment.

Even if it were a simple sharpening, a couple weeks from the ship date to receiving it would be a good turnaround. As someone who worked in a repair capacity at one time - much of it being sharpening and edge analysis as it was for surgical equipment, so I'm familiar with the work involved - I can promise everybody that they would be very surprised at just how long it takes to service each piece. And those labor hours add up fast.

Patience will pay off in this case. Jason is pretty active here, I'm sure he will update us when he receives a response. Until then, all we can do is speculate, which isn't very productive.