Unimpressed with M390

It was a typed letter, the message was very clear to the reason and the testing that customer service told me could be requested.

I will wait for BM from here on out, I do not want to speculate before they have had a chance to explain themselves.

If they told you that the testing could be requested it really seems egregious that none was done.

It was a typed letter, the message was very clear to the reason and the testing that customer service told me could be requested.

I will wait for BM from here on out, I do not want to speculate before they have had a chance to explain themselves.

Interesting. Well I'm sure they appreciate you waiting for their response.

storm-in-a-teacup-color-edition-lores_zpsxf8v0a7c.jpeg

Wrong. This is an important to some of us steel nuts because we highly respect Jason s experience and opinion. And we are trying to add to our ability to judge Benchmade based on their current standards in fit and finish, overall quality, customer service, and current pricing. When Jason says his m390 from Benchmade is a disappointment, that gets my attention. I thought the Ritter with m390 was one of the truly great values that Benchmade had left.

Wrong. This is an important to some of us steel nuts because we highly respect Jason s experience and opinion. And we are trying to add to our ability to judge Benchmade based on their current standards in fit and finish, overall quality, customer service, and current pricing. When Jason says his m390 from Benchmade is a disappointment, that gets my attention. I thought the Ritter with m390 was one of the truly great values that Benchmade had left.

If that is the case you are going about it all wrong. Your statistics are off by a hair. A sample size of 1 does not make a stable platform for any judgement. There are many people on the forums with a lot of metallurgical experience (even some with the PhDs to prove it), and not just sharpening experience to base off of. Not trashing anyone, just trying to add a little perspective to a very inaccurate assumption. SO, if you are staking your entire purchase history off the word of a single person whom you feel has a more accurate opinion than the rest of the people that have stated there is largely no problems reported, documented, or otherwise then that is on you.

Jason, how do you know they didn't just swap out the blade? Did they write anything back about what they did?

If I was them and didn't want to deal with testing the thing a million different ways just to realize the obvious (that it was a fluke), I would just swap it out for a new blade that wasn't a fluke, and everyone would be happy. Testing the bad blade isn't going to fix anything if it's an isolated issue. There's likely nothing widespread about this issue, so all the CATRA stuff is unnecessary IMO.

You writing a technical letter to them that implies that you know more about knives than they do is probably why they didn't bother to write back. You seem to have a personal thing against Benchmade. It's pretty obvious to everyone else that your blade was a lemon and isn't what should be expected of their m390.

Did you look at the pic of the blade he got back?

I assume you didn't...because it you did you would notice that the grind had about 3 different bevels and there was a burr left on the edge. But I guess that's what is to be expected from Benchmade now? If it's good enough for the ignorant 99% then it should be good enough for everybody.

Just a tempest in a teapot....nothing to see here....move along.

If that is the case you are going about it all wrong. Your statistics are off by a hair. A sample size of 1 does not make a stable platform for any judgement. There are many people on the forums with a lot of metallurgical experience (even some with the PhDs to prove it), and not just sharpening experience to base off of. Not trashing anyone, just trying to add a little perspective to a very inaccurate assumption. SO, if you are staking your entire purchase history off the word of a single person whom you feel has a more accurate opinion than the rest of the people that have stated there is largely no problems reported, documented, or otherwise then that is on you.

I do agree in general. And I have liked my m390 blades from Benchnmade. But I sometimes wonder how sussceptible I am to marketing and promotion. My observations in these matters are pretty casual and based on moderately hard use of the knives at work. A sample size of one is definitely too small to use for genralizations. If my post sounded like that then it was unintentional. I know there are some metallurgists on the forums. I respect their opinions also. As I do yours.
Regards.

Q: How did I know the blade was not swapped out?

A: I could seem my sharpening lines at the heel of the blade where it was not ground by Benchmades sharpening.

They didn't want to deal with it? THEY TOLD ME OVER THE PHONE I COULD REQUEST TESTING.

Technical letter?

The letter stated that I was questioning the steel performance due to excessive edge rolling during use. It went on to further ask for hardness and edge retention testing (like I was told could be requested). Go ahead and print off a service form and read the disclaimer, it will help you understand.

Please tell me how I am off base here or have something against BM?

I have a Axis Stryker in 154cm and have Zero problems with the knife or steel, have even praised it in a thread or two. So, please tell me again I have a problem with Benchmade.

THEY TOLD ME OVER THE PHONE I COULD REQUEST TESTING.

Request, yes. But there's nothing guaranteeing that they'll actually do it.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that they're in the wrong here. But I don't think it's time to give up on them as a whole. Give them a chance to explain themselves

I do agree in general. And I have liked my m390 blades from Benchnmade. But I sometimes wonder how sussceptible I am to marketing and promotion. My observations in these matters are pretty casual and based on moderately hard use of the knives at work. A sample size of one is definitely too small to use for genralizations. If my post sounded like that then it was unintentional. I know there are some metallurgists on the forums. I respect their opinions also. As I do yours.
Regards.

Thanks for the clarification. We are all victims in some form or another to marketing, it is what has us chasing the latest and greatest steels. Unfortunately, companies do make mistakes and they cannot all be caught. What has not really helped these companies are the videos showing anyone with a YouTube account and a camera hammering the living spit out of a knife, to the point of failure. It tends to place some pretty confusing expectations on the product and industry as a whole in the eyes of the customer.

Rc testing a blade could be done at several places for a nominal fee plus shipping, that would be my next step. It would be less than a week turnaround time in most cases.

I sent my mini grip M390 in for warranty a couple of months ago. I sent a note explaining that it had blade play that could not be adjusted out and that I could feel the backside of the pivot screw moving which didnt feel right. They sent it back oiled and sharpened but didn`t address the issues at all. This was the first time I sent a knife in ever for warranty and it left me disappointed as well.

The blade sure sound like a lemon, but I don't think that's the real issue here. The issue is that Benchmade completely dropped the ball on the return process. Sending out a product with a defect won't make me reconsider buying from you, but total failure to address that defect, particularly when it's been brought to your attention through this forum and a letter written by the customer, that starts to give me some serious doubts about the company as a whole.

I'm still hoping Benchmade steps in and corrects this, but they've now had two opportunities to get the man the knife he paid for and have failed both times.

While my experience with their cs has been better than I would normally expect, they did fail to HRC test my blade after they suggested it. This was in no way a problem because there was nothing wrong with my m4 blade to begin with, just a curiosity between me and one of their tech's.

Jason, I know a number of the makers here with Rockwell testers. I could ask around if you'd like. I'm fairly certain that I could find a trusted maker that could test the blade for free. I wouldn't bother with the files personally.

Actually, now that I think of it, I know you know bluntcut. I'm thinking he may have a tester. Just a thought.

Afew months ago Alfa Knife Supply [AKS ] had a post on this forum mentioning a problem with the manufacturer which apparently the company won't address !!! AKS and other dealers no longer handle the steel because of this problem !

Afew months ago Alfa Knife Supply [AKS ] had a post on this forum mentioning a problem with the manufacturer which apparently the company won't address !!! AKS and other dealers no longer handle the steel because of this problem !

Link? Or at least some background? I'm very curious about this.

I am really trying to keep my cool at this point, mainly because of the vulgar things I want to say would get me banned from BladeForums.

Dear Benchmade,

What level of amateur do you think you are dealing with? I wrote a detailed letter explaining my issue and requesting CATRA and Rockwell TESTING. I got nothing of the sort, what I got was a life sharp service with an edge... oh the edge... what were you thinking? Did you put the new guy in charge of my knife?

You have failed on every level and have completely insulted me as a customer and a professional.

You have now fooled me twice, shame on you.
Just because you can request it does not mean they are obligated to do it. The fact that there are so few complaints of rolled M390 (yours is the only one I've read about on the multiple forums I participate in), would suggest that yours is a fluke. Heck, my 581, 586 and 810-1401 have held a phenomenal edge, even after hacking at tree branches, cutting cardboard, popping zip ties with lateral force, etc.).

What boggles my mind is why they didn't just swap the blade for a new one??

Link? Or at least some background? I'm very curious about this.
If true, it sounds like a good reason to switch to Carpenter's CTS-204P, which is almost exactly the same steel.

Back