University brands pocketknives in dorms as "contraband" akin to drugs, alcohol

Here is a depressing article about student life on campus at George Washington University.

A quote:

"Rooms will continue to be randomly inspected ...

... If inspectors find alcohol, contraband including pocketknives, drugs or drug paraphernalia, University Police will be contacted."

Contraband. :(

Gah. And I thought my University's dorm regulations were bad (you were not allowed to have any knives over 6" in your dorm room; you had to store them in the firearms lockers in the basement).

very sad. However, they wouldn't find my knives. That's for sure. And there would be no way I would go without one.:cool:

very sad. However, they wouldn't find my knives. That's for sure. And there would be no way I would go without one.:cool:

Reminds me of a scene from Pulp Fiction

Captain Koons: "The way your dad looked at it, this watch was your birthright. He'd be damned if any of the slopes were gonna get their greasy yellow hands on his boy's birthright. So he hid it in the one place he knew he could hide something: his ass. Five long years, he wore this watch up his ass. Then when he died of dysentery, he gave me the watch. I hid this uncomfortable piece of metal up my ass for two years. Then, after seven years, I was sent home to my family. And now, little man, I give the watch to you."

That really bad :grumpy: Its not even that bad in the UK (the land of great knife laws, lol) the laws are the same as the nation ones. So I have a couple of knife in my room.

I hope it gets sorted out, best wishes form the other side of the pond.

the knives on school grounds is such a very sensitive subject...so easily defended on a rational basis yet always attacked on an emotional basis that happens to be a majority right now.

Uh, yea it absolutely is horrible, especially if your major justifies having a pocket knife (technical theater, sculpture major, et al.) what about exactos?

Security on a college campus is a damn joke as well. I absolutely second that post by sevenedges.

Luckily, Kent state keeps it to 'under 3 inch blade, non automatic non bali, non gravity'...says nothing about tomahawks though. The kitchen knives some of my friends have is EASILY over 6"...
Phil

On my campus you can carry a knife with a blade up to 5" and you need "permission" for anything larger.

Back