Unknow noise in my sebenza

Hi guys, I got my large 21 sebenza in last week, I love it so much but it's very tight and hard to open, so I repeatedly open and close for break in , I do it gently and just open around 70% and almost close, after few thousands times the knife is smooth and much better, but now when I open the blade between 50-70% and shake it , I can hear little noise from pivot/center position and feel some parts seems loosen.
So am I screwed up my new knife already or just normal?

Last edited:
Just happen on up and down shaking and I check the blade is still exactly in center

You can always take it apart and see if there is anything going on. If everything seems to be functioning right I wouldn't worry-Just stop shaking it partially open:). If there is a real problem CRK will fix it.

You can always take it apart and see if there is anything going on. If everything seems to be functioning right I wouldn't worry-Just stop shaking it partially open:). If there is a real problem CRK will fix it.

Thanks all you guys,
Actually my sebenza is left handed , I saw they turn it counterclockwise but it is for right handed sebenza, I try myself but all screws is extremely tight almost bending the allen key, so I want to confirm which way should I turn first.

Does it make noise or feel like something is loose only at the 50/70% position ??? Have you tried shaking it when it's closed or all the way open with the lock engaged?
Have you loosened the pivot just a hair to help with the break in period ? You can do that and it won't hurt a thing. I've done it before and it has helped me.
Some of mine will make a rattle sound if I shake the hell out of it, but that's just the lanyard pin moving. On a large Sebenza, if you cut the lanyard off the lanyard pin, the pin will fall out. The small has a shoulder on the pin to stop it from falling out.

Might be the lanyard pin as Ajack60 Ajack60 alluded to . That’s my guess. Try holding the top of knife and blade tight with your hand, then shake it. If you hear a rattle most likely the lanyard pin.

Thanks all you guys,
Actually my sebenza is left handed , I saw they turn it counterclockwise but it is for right handed sebenza, I try myself but all screws is extremely tight almost bending the allen key, so I want to confirm which way should I turn first.

So are mine, lefty loosie, righty tighty. Even on the left handed CRK's. Make sure the allen wrench is seated all the way down, and yes on some the allen wrench will bend, but if you keep the wrench straight and not cock it, it will loosen up the screw. The allen screw is seated to the Ti and takes some muscle to loosen it.

Thanks all you guys,
Whether or not the knife is right or left handed, the screws are still right-handed. In other words "righty tighty-lefty loosey". LATER - I see Ajack60 posted while I was "slow-typing" - what he said.

Does it make noise or feel like something is loose only at the 50/70% position ??? Have you tried shaking it when it's closed or all the way open with the lock engaged?
Have you loosened the pivot just a hair to help with the break in period ? You can do that and it won't hurt a thing. I've done it before and it has helped me.
Some of mine will make a rattle sound if I shake the hell out of it, but that's just the lanyard pin moving. On a large Sebenza, if you cut the lanyard off the lanyard pin, the pin will fall out. The small has a shoulder on the pin to stop it from falling out.

No problem when full open and close,
I haven't loosened the pivot, just open and close again and again.
I think the problem is the blade can't hold tight after 90 degree, so the blade will very litte up and down when shaking. I use my thumb and index finger to press tight the screw and pivot but still happen.

No problem when full open and close,
I haven't loosened the pivot, just open and close again and again.
I think the problem is the blade can't hold tight after 90 degree, so the blade will very litte up and down when shaking. I use my thumb and index finger to press tight the screw and pivot but still happen.

What I don't understand is how vigorously are you shaking the knife. Typically, on new CRK's once the detent ball wears a track on the blade, it becomes smoother/easier to open. As time/uses go on the smoother it gets. Some of my older Sebenza's are like that, it doesn't take much effort to shake it open, the newer ones aren't like that. It takes a lot of effort to shake one open and then I'm afraid I'll throw it out of my hand if I'm not careful.
If it is making a noise, then there is something wrong. I've never had one to make any noise around the pivot area. Even after one has been taken apart and cleaned, there hasn't been any noise.
And no, you didn't mess anything up by breaking it in. A thousand opening/closing cycles sounds about right. That should be comparable to sore/raw thumb syndrome ;)

and I am just throwing this out for lack of any other idea-maybe the stop pin isn't seated completely. There aren't that many parts and from my experience the pivot/washer area is very tight.
But as Ajack60 said-you didn't screw it up

I think it's normal what your describing. When the lock is not engaged you are able to move the blade up and down a bit. This is not side to side play, just up and down. It feels like it's a bit loose and then it engages and you feel the smooth resistance again closing/opening after.
When the knife is more lubed up it's not as apparent. You gotta get in there and have a look for yourself, in any case, so don't be worried about the alan wrench, just the screws. Start from unscrewing the ones on the scale that doesn't have a lock. GL

I think it's normal what your describing. When the lock is not engaged you are able to move the blade up and down a bit. This is not side to side play, just up and down. It feels like it's a bit loose and then it engages and you feel the smooth resistance again closing/opening after.
When the knife is more lubed up it's not as apparent. You gotta get in there and have a look for yourself, in any case, so don't be worried about the alan wrench, just the screws. Start from unscrewing the ones on the scale that doesn't have a lock. GL
Yes, just up and down.
I watched many youtube videos but still worry disassembly the knife because many people said the washer is very easy to get pinched, I don't know how to prevent it .
Actually I'm not living in US so if I screw up I need to pay $50 for shipping to CRK, but I will try my best to fix the knife soon.

Yes, just up and down.
I watched many youtube videos but still worry disassembly the knife because many people said the washer is very easy to get pinched, I don't know how to prevent it .
Actually I'm not living in US so if I screw up I need to pay $50 for shipping to CRK, but I will try my best to fix the knife soon.
If your really worried about these washers then you can do the following.
You put the knife back together without the blade assembly first. Stop pin and everything else just not blade pivot and washers.
You lube up the blade assembly with the pivot washers and you can slide the whole thing in afterwards. The lube will hold washers so they don't fall. Take the sebenza apart first anyway to clean and familiarize yourself.

Back