Unlined kydex and DLC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie Mike

Sober since 1-7-14 (still a Paranoid Nutjob)
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Can a kydex sheath without any liner material scratch up a DLC finished blade/guard?

I think yes, as my DLC coated Gryphon M10 has developed scratches length wise down the side of the blade. I'm nearly certain that this has resulted from contacting the kydex sheath.

Interested in others experience.

DLC (Tungsten Diamond Like Carbon) has an HRC of 72. I think Kydex Rockwells at 73 HRQ. The Kydex may be leaving a residue on the DLC. I bet Kydex would abrade Cerakote which is paint with added ceramic powder.

Of course it isn't the actual kydex that is marking up the dlc but dust and fine debris. Kydex is soft enough to capture dust into the surface and in turn scratch the surface of the blade no matter if said blade it coated of not. Even leather can to this .

Yup. It ain't the holster - it's all of the grit. One thing you can do is use compressed air to blow the grit out every couple of days. Anyone who was in the military knows about trying to keep those spit polished boots and low quarters looking good. Just one day of walking around and they're covered in dust and grit. Do it again. It's a gritty Old World.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back