• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bad "Unregistered" Rockstead knives: Your warranty is VOID.

WValtakis

Hand engraving & Titanium anodizing
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I've been seeing a lot of these pop up for sale recently, I feel the need to clarify Rockstead's policy regarding registering/warranty from my own personal experience. Rockstead's warranty is valid ONLY for the original purchaser, and ONLY when purchased through an authorized dealer. Rockstead actively looks for knives on the secondary market online, and will deny warranty for anyone who cannot show original purchase from an AD.

TLDR: "Unregistered" means absolutely nothing in regards to Rockstead knives purchased on the secondary market.

I've been seeing a lot of these pop up for sale recently, I feel the need to clarify Rockstead's policy regarding registering/warranty from my own personal experience. Rockstead's warranty is valid ONLY for the original purchaser, and ONLY when purchased through an authorized dealer. Rockstead actively looks for knives on the secondary market online, and will deny warranty for anyone who cannot show original purchase from an AD.TLDR: "Unregistered" means absolutely nothing in regards to Rockstead knives purchased on the secondary market.

Thank you for pointing this out. I had no idea.

It completely dissuades me from ever buying a Rockstead as the resale value automatically plummets since it no longer has a warranty when re-sold even if it is unused.

One of the reasons I am such a Busse fan is that their warranty is bullet proof. Other manufacturers could learn a thing or two from them.

I've been seeing a lot of these pop up for sale recently, I feel the need to clarify Rockstead's policy regarding registering/warranty from my own personal experience. Rockstead's warranty is valid ONLY for the original purchaser, and ONLY when purchased through an authorized dealer. Rockstead actively looks for knives on the secondary market online, and will deny warranty for anyone who cannot show original purchase from an AD.

TLDR: "Unregistered" means absolutely nothing in regards to Rockstead knives purchased on the secondary market.

^ Thank you for pointing this out. :thumbsup:

I have seen a couple of these, "unregistered" Rockstead sales, posted recently. The "unregistered" part, made me wonder: if this did in fact, affect the factory warranty? :confused:

I'm not a big, Rockstead Knives fan, but just yesterday, somebody listed a used, rather expensive Rockstead knife on another forum, at a substantial discount, which prompted me to do some research on that particular $2k model.

What I find crazy, is this part of information that you shared:
"Rockstead actively looks for knives on the secondary market online, and will deny warranty for anyone who cannot show original purchase from an AD."

^ At their $$$$ price point, I'd personally never purchase one of their knives on the secondary market, knowing their factory warranty has in fact, been voided. :thumbsdown:

What I find crazy, is this part of information that you shared:
"Rockstead actively looks for knives on the secondary market online, and will deny warranty for anyone who cannot show original purchase from an AD."

That eye-searing yellow text you use is nigh unreadable on the standard white forum layout, for the sake of all user's retinas please consider using a different color to accentuate your points.

Wow. That's completely fkd up.

That eye-searing yellow text you use is nigh unreadable on the standard white forum layout, for the sake of all user's retinas please consider using a different color to accentuate your points.

Use the night mode and the white background wont fry your eyes with as much blue light to begin with, and people's formatting won't be as obtuse.

Lol - I'm currently selling an unregistered Rockstead. I have heard about them doing this, so I edited out the serial number on the photos I posted. Between that, and being able to provide a receipt from the AD to the buyer, at their request, hopefully I can get around their system :p.

Lol - I'm currently selling an unregistered Rockstead. I have heard about them doing this, so I edited out the serial number on the photos I posted. Between that, and being able to provide a receipt from the AD to the buyer, at their request, hopefully I can get around their system :p.

You won't, sadly. WValtakis WValtakis knows full well how that's going to go down. If you search back, you'll see he posted about a similar situation previously. Everything he's saying here is true.

"get around"? Trick them into warranting the knife to someone not the original purchaser?

Amazing, no lifetime guarantee on knives costing two grand? You can literally get a used car having hundreds of moving parts and electronics with at least 90 days of warranty for two grand. A knife usually has one moving part and a lot of times less than ten parts overall. I learn something new every day in here.

"get around"? Trick them into warranting the knife to someone not the original purchaser?
I know you disagree with me on this, but I have no moral qualms with 'tricking' a company into doing something for the second owner that they would have done for the first (so long as all other requirements for warranty service are met). You're free to do otherwise, but bad company policy doesn't get any respect from me.

*Not that I'd ever knowingly buy a knife or other product from such a company - it's just my feelings on that hypothetical situation.

I know you disagree with me on this, but I have no moral qualms with 'tricking' a company into doing something for the second owner that they would have done for the first (so long as all other requirements for warranty service are met). You're free to do otherwise, but bad company policy doesn't get any respect from me.

*Not that I'd ever knowingly buy a knife or other product from such a company - it's just my feelings on that hypothetical situation.

I agree. It's the Rockstead policy that is on shaky ground here and needs to be reconsidered. I think that - "doing something for the second owner that they would have done for the first so long as all other requirements for warranty service are met" is a valid position - and not unscrupulous.

As long as the buyer is made fully aware that such schemes may not be successful and they may be denied warranty service, right?

As long as the buyer is made fully aware that such schemes may not be successful and they may be denied warranty service, right?

As long as the buyer has the paperwork and is fully aware of the potential to be denied service - YES. I have to assume that someone looking to buy a Rockstead is of the "buyer beware" mindset.

DISCLAIMER - My own experience trying to get service from Rockstead was such a cluster F*# that I would never encourage anyone to send a knife back to Rockstead in any case. My viewpoint is suitably tainted. I say they are the "schemers". You want service on your Rockstead find a service provider on BF - YMMV.

As it happens, many knife makers warrant their knives to the original purchaser only.

Benchmade
Boker
Buck
Gerber
Mora
Fallkniven
CRKT
TOPS
KA-BAR
Taylor
Chris Reeves
Ferrium Forge

AND MANY OTHERS.

I have a work around for unreadable color text, I Left click and highlight it. Hope that helps someone. #Nocolortext

Back