Unveiling the BYXCO "Black Magic" Honing Plate

Thank-you, the pictures helped me out.
I'm definitely looking forward to this, especially if the 8x2 price is in the ballpark of the 4x4.

We've been a little backed up the past week or two with a large volume of orders, so several of the orders for these just went out today. I'd expect you'll probably start seeing feedback in about a week since folks will probably need a bit of time to form an impression of them. :)

I'm very interested in one of these. I have a Spyderco Ultrafine in a 2x8 that I really liked. When I went to get one in an edge pro format (my favorite size to freehand on) they were sold out, so I picked up a Zirconia hardened Ceramic stone from gritomatic. It's not bad, but it's not as fine as I hoped. I've been trying to move away from ceramic finishing stones, but I don't think I can quit them. I've been using the zirconia ceramic loaded with diamond spray, but yes, I might have to try this SiC plate. Also I have a set of SiC stones that I like a good bit, so a SiC ceramic plate is very exciting.

If you need your zirconia stone graded finer you can try lapping it with fine lapidary diamond on plate glass. Because of the hardness of the bond with sintered stones you can basically make them cut however you'd like within a reasonable range (all on the fine end, of course) just by refinishing with different grades of lapidary grit. They're functioning in an almost file-like manner where the physical structure is what's doing the cutting, though it's the hardness of the grains that allows them to bite into the steel in the first place.

It'll abrade anything that silicon carbide can cut. Since it's used as a final finishing stone, it should work fine on high-vanadium steels, though it'll need the surface redressed sooner than if used on steels with lower vanadium carbide content. It'd be more problematic if you were trying to do significant material removal.

Edit to add: in short, it should do fine within its intended context of use, much like how sintered alumina ceramics are able to provide good results when used in this sort of context, except that the silicon carbide will wear slower and need re-dressing less often between that higher hardness and the improved friability of the grains.

Last edited:
I'd love to see one of these make it into our EDGE SNOBS sharpening pass around group on Facebook....

Message me if interested.

We've got a 2x4 version available now, I just need to find the time to get it up on the website.

We've got a 2x4 version available now, I just need to find the time to get it up on the website.

That is exciting. I'll keep an eye out for it. When I was in the market for a Spyderco Ultrafine in 1x6, they were sold out everywhere. I ended up buying a Zirconia Ceramic stone from gritomatic. It's not bad, but it seems to burnish more than cut, and even still the finish isn't quite as fine as I would like.

2x4 plates now available, as well. I keep one of these in my pack and use it as my touch-up stone.

We hope to be able to offer such a thing in the future, though the timeline for such is unclear.

Hi,
Google "hexoloy tube" :)

I'm not sure what the surface finish is like on that stuff--have you used it personally? Sintered materials depend on their surface finish for their abrasive action much more so than conventional bonded stones since they essentially don't shed grit. Some materials as-fired have a fairly pebbly surface texture, and I don't think a smooth surface is typically necessary for refractory materials.

I'm not sure what the surface finish is like on that stuff--have you used it personally? Sintered materials depend on their surface finish for their abrasive action much more so than conventional bonded stones since they essentially don't shed grit. Some materials as-fired have a fairly pebbly surface texture, and I don't think a smooth surface is typically necessary for refractory materials.
Hi,
No i haven't used it personally,
but since its made from submicron powder ... 64microinches = 1.6256 microns

It requires minimum machining.
The as-fired surface finish of Hexoloy silicon carbide
parts is excellent (about 64 microinches).

You can think of sintered materials as being essentially like a monolithic piece of material, so they function almost more like a file does. Hence why the specific surface finish matters so much, and my curiosity regarding any direct experience with the material. :)

You can think of sintered materials as being essentially like a monolithic piece of material, so they function almost more like a file does. Hence why the specific surface finish matters so much, and my curiosity regarding any direct experience with the material. :)
Yes, I do understand ... coffee cups and floor tile sticks ;)

Any Baryonyx coupon codes available to celebrate the release of this groundbreaking new product?

Last edited:
Back