upcoming 659 pursuit folder...

lock bar couldn't be the same on the 659 as the spitfire. they are different sized knives. same mid lock design maybe, but not a parts bin part.

In other words, "same basic lockbar configuration", just as I noted.

The issue of the lock rock is worth raising. Jeff Hubbard has stated on this forum that the mid lock design in The Spitfire is more prone to lock rock. The closer the lock bar pivot is to the blade pivot, the tighter the radius formed by the locking tab. The tighter that radius is, the more angled the front face needs to be to clear the locking detent on the blade. The shallower that angle is, the easier it is for the blade to lift the lockbar under hard cutting.

My expectation is that Buck is using the same or very similar lock bar design at the mating surface as on the Spitfire. It also looks like the same pivot assembly.

Does anybody know differently?

The issue of the lock rock is worth raising. Jeff Hubbard has stated on this forum that the mid lock design in The Spitfire is more prone to lock rock. The closer the lock bar pivot is to the blade pivot, the tighter the radius formed by the locking tab. The tighter that radius is, the more angled the front face needs to be to clear the locking detent on the blade. The shallower that angle is, the easier it is for the blade to lift the lockbar under hard cutting.

My expectation is that Buck is using the same or very similar lock bar design at the mating surface as on the Spitfire. It also looks like the same pivot assembly.

Looks like the guts are the same as the Spitfire?

Do they have the lock rock issue sorted?

guts imply same parts. if ya didnt mean it that way then ya should have clarified it better.

Mak stated the lock rock has been addressed on the spitfire as he heard this from someone at the factory. if ya need to hear it from @J Hubbard well hes been invited to comment if he so chooses.

For one I can guarantee Buck knows all about the lock back design. What works, what doesn't. The spitfire lock rock issue was addressed last year. Per Jeff Hubbard. Plus some reviews on here after the fix confirmed it.

Here is Jeff's own words.

Jun 18, 2018#12

J HubbardModeratorModeratorPlatinum Member
Mar 28, 2001
The new improved versions are coming on line starting a couple weeks ago.
We made 3 major changes
Press fit the Pivot and rocker female fasteners
Removed some slack between the spring and spring holder slot
Changed the bend angle on the spring.
The lock rock is basically gone now.

Jeff Hubbard
Manager of Quality and Warranty

I took Pinnah's reference to the same design as in identical to the spitfires design as well.

I do know one thing... /^From:.*pinnah\.all/h:j

Sorry to have been unclear in my writing.

I thought it was obvious that different sized knives would not use the exact same "bin parts" but I shouldn't assume such things.

Makael, thanks for posting the quote from Hubbard. I hadn't seen that before.

Another way to ask My question is if those lessons learned have been applied to this new knife. Hopefully so, yes?

Sorry to have been unclear in my writing.

I thought it was obvious that different sized knives would not use the exact same "bin parts" but I shouldn't assume such things.

Makael, thanks for posting the quote from Hubbard. I hadn't seen that before.

Another way to ask My question is if those lessons learned have been applied to this new knife. Hopefully so, yes?
can only read what ya wrote. had to assume you maybe didnt know the difference.

I love spitfire knives always have felt that lock rock issue has been way overblown. That being said I just got a new 2019 knives with the new black handle and it is significantly tighter than the 2017 model I also obtained this week.

I wonder if any share blade geometry with other Buck models..I know one is very close in size to the 112..

20190411_204316.jpg

bringing back the thread hope no one minds. so I finally got one. no side to side play. almost no up and down lock rock. pretty impressive knife for what it is. I like the width/depth of the blade on this one. 15550319033026612089843143481175.jpg

^ pic of what I had in my pocket to show size.
cost wise one could argue the 110 is a better value. regardless I'm really liking the 659 so far. well done Buck.

View attachment 1108847

bringing back the thread hope no one minds. so I finally got one. no side to side play. almost no up and down lock rock. pretty impressive knife for what it is. I like the width/depth of the blade on this one. View attachment 1108864

^ pic of what I had in my pocket to show size.
cost wise one could argue the 110 is a better value. regardless I'm really liking the 659 so far. well done Buck.

Glad u got one. Is it pinned together or can you disassemble it?

I got a 659 ( Large Pursuit folder) last weekend at the SVKC show in Harrisonburg, VA. Very pleased with it. Blade shape is very nice and very sharp. Handles fit my xxl hands very well and allows easy use of the thumb stud. Priced the same as a regular 110. Well made nylon sheath that can be mounted vertically or horizontally. Weight is such that it can be carried in the pocket if you don't care for a sheath on you belt. Also have large fixed Pursuit which is a very nice blade.
Buck has a winner in this series I think.
Scales are pinned and the pivot "seems" to be adjustable to some degree. Mine came just right so I'm not messing with it. No complaints on this one.

Thats crazy. I thought for sure when they showed them at SHOT they would be screwed together. Is the piviot pinned as well?
pivot is screwed but mine came perfect so I haven't played with it, but it has torx setup for it.

pivot is screwed but mine came perfect so I haven't played with it, but it has torx setup for it.

Oh ok that's what it looked like. That's good cause I was looking at these as something to keep with me in the yard and I like taking it apart and cleaning it and oiling it when I'm done. Thanks for the info jb.

Back