Update

Prayers for your recovery John, and for alleviation of the agony your family must be feeling.

Connie,
Sounds like John has tunnel vision on one thought. Talking to him is not likely to help, we men build strong walls. Refuse to allow him to shutdown, force him to be involved in other things, with other people. Go and visit friends and family or have them come over. Do not accept no for an answer.

Bill

Hi Connie (and John),
As Bill said much more eloquently than I can, we men can be pretty pig-headed, especially when processing medical / lifestyle info. Staring at the wall helps; its just not as fun as (and seems less productive than) staring out the window.

I usually dislike the prodding I receive when it comes to keeping on keeping on (for me,, it's check your bp, blood work, etc.), but also know it's necessary to help me pull my head out of the mud occasionally. I have not had anything this big looming over my head, but figure it can't hurt to commiserate based on what I have experienced.

Persevere. There is a lot of fun stuff to do and to look forward to.

Time is precious, let him know we care. Would he be interested in writing down or recording any special memories or stories to give to his family? Just a thought to keep him active And cheer him up. I had an aunt who recorded my grandmother’s stories of her life, and it was cool to hear about them, in her 80s she still remembered poems from high school. I was always fascinated with her, my mom’s mother. She was born in 1899 ( in another century), graduated in 1918 (near the end of WWI) lived through the most of the 20th century, and passed in 1985. My sister has the recordings, it is so neat to hear those stories in her own voice, real history as she lived it. I pray that John hears good news in December after visiting the doctor. Let us know if we can do anything for him or you.

Last edited:
John seems to be doing a little better. We go to Chicago in the morning to hopefully get the staples removed and he said afterward he wants to go to the dog bakery to get some special cookies for Maggie’s 13th birthday tomorrow. Becky comes over for a bit each day while I’m at work before she goes to work, it helps break up the day. He has also started watching Christmas movies which cheers him up. Baby steps, but it’s progress.

John seems to be doing a little better. We go to Chicago in the morning to hopefully get the staples removed and he said afterward he wants to go to the dog bakery to get some special cookies for Maggie’s 13th birthday tomorrow. Becky comes over for a bit each day while I’m at work before she goes to work, it helps break up the day. He has also started watching Christmas movies which cheers him up. Baby steps, but it’s progress.

Any improvement is good news!

I have been enjoying some of the Hallmark Christmas movies, some not all……..one Christmas I bought my wife some Hallmark “watching Xmas movies” socks!!

Back