Update

Fiddleback

Knifemaker
Well, I've finally made a Scandi jig that I'm pleased with. So today I ground two Scandi-Fiddlebacks. A Ladyfinger, and a Bushcrafter. The jig is working perfectly. Can't wait to HT these tomorrow. I think this grind will look great and be suited for the smaller knives. The Karda screams for it.

Also. The time with Todd was super valuable. In just 20 minutes, he told me a lot. The first thing was to slow down my grinder. Actually, he said to spend the $ for a variable speed. But for now I slowed it down. The grinds this week are all coming out like I want. Almost all the knives this week will feature the convex sabregrind, which is my goal. I even got one done on a small Nessie! Thats 3/32" thick steel! It took me three tries.

I started doing Kismets knife this week. More fun with the WI. I've got the knife ground and heat treated. Its gonna look neato. Haven't decided the wood yet though. Wierd. I've got the bolsters forged and cleaned up though. Its always exciting for me to do a 2nd knife of a design. The improvement from 1 to 2 is usually noticable, and thats fun for me. This one, for example is going to have the bolsters soldered onto the tang. Wood selections welcome, especially from Kismet... LOL. It feels good to work on this knife. I was extremely honored to make even one.

Random News:

Its time to get me handle selections for the BLC's if you've got one ordered. I have five ready to grind.

Karda's are ready. If you ordered one, expect an e-mail soon.

I've got several Ladyfingers HT'd. I've got a few orders for them also.

If you want Masur Birch, I'm about to have to buy a bit, so now's the time to order.

You ready for Nessies? I've got ten of each pattern watterjetted, and a few ground! Actually, I've got ten of just about every patter cut. Sheesh. I'm gonna have sore fingers.

Guys, I really appreciate all the support this week. You guys fixed the problem, not my ranting. Thanks. :thumbup:

Cant wait to see them when your done buddy!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

started doing Kismets knife this week. More fun with the WI. I've got the knife ground and heat treated. Its gonna look neato. Haven't decided the wood yet though. Wierd. I've got the bolsters forged and cleaned up though. Its always exciting for me to do a 2nd knife of a design. The improvement from 1 to 2 is usually noticable, and thats fun for me. This one, for example is going to have the bolsters soldered onto the tang. Wood selections welcome, especially from Kismet... LOL. It feels good to work on this knife. I was extremely honored to make even one.

I'm the one who is honored, Andy. I wouldn't presume to tell anyone who does the handles you do what woods to use. It will be used, and abused, and cared for...but in a woods-walker way. Tough more important than pretty. Natural more honored than synthetic. By the time I die, it will stained from use, and be a Fiddleback testament to the life I've loved. Each mark, scuff, and discoloration marking an event of my life.

This will be the "one-knife."

Oh, by the way, the design is exclusively yours from now on. I'd cleared it with Yangdu before sending it to you.

Ah!!!! Fiddleback scandi!! Pics or I place the BF hex on you. A Hunter with a scandi edge... the "Fat Swede"...

And, ahem, if you could, please, kind sir, get your butt in gear on the common man's Practical Hunter design. I know thay can't be all one off works of art but...

Please sir, may we...

Andy starts doing scandi grinds on a regular basis...

Andy states he needs to buy a lot of masur birch...

Coincidence? I think not.

Whats funny is that I was NOT trying to add confusion.

You should probably do up a puukko type design now, to really take advantage of the scandi :D :thumbup:

When you see the Ladyfinger with a Scandi, you're gonna love it! Its almost an ideal knife for that grind.

I'm real excited about Scandi Bow Legged Joes, and Bow Legged Belt Knives , Kardas, too!!!!

And, ahem, if you could, please, kind sir, get your butt in gear on the common man's Practical Hunter design. I know thay can't be all one off works of art but...

Please sir, may we...

More details please on the common mans Practical Hunter Design!! (Your bushie goes into glue today!!)

Oooooooo - I am intrigued by the Scandi grind - be sure to show us the jig too.

I am thinking... Bushcrafter.... scandi.... fat scales.... many feather sticks..... much wasted time... mmmmmmmm......

TF

When you see the Ladyfinger with a Scandi, you're gonna love it! Its almost an ideal knife for that grind.

I forgot about that design, it should go really well with a scandi grind IMO. Really looking forward to seeing some of these scandi's.

Oooooooo - I am intrigued by the Scandi grind - be sure to show us the jig too.

I am thinking... Bushcrafter.... scandi.... fat scales.... many feather sticks..... much wasted time... mmmmmmmm......

TF

The jig is most definitely a prototype... Gut I can say there will be a round 2. Still, this one is functional.:thumbup:

I forgot about that design, it should go really well with a scandi grind IMO. Really looking forward to seeing some of these scandi's.

5 Scandi's ground today. Two heat treated. A Ladyfinger, Bushcrafter, BLJ, BLBK, and a Karda. Fun times.

I'm the one who is honored, Andy. I wouldn't presume to tell anyone who does the handles you do what woods to use. It will be used, and abused, and cared for...but in a woods-walker way. Tough more important than pretty. Natural more honored than synthetic. By the time I die, it will stained from use, and be a Fiddleback testament to the life I've loved. Each mark, scuff, and discoloration marking an event of my life.

This will be the "one-knife."

Oh, by the way, the design is exclusively yours from now on. I'd cleared it with Yangdu before sending it to you.

More details please on the common mans Practical Hunter Design!!

Yes. We know that Yangdu's and Kismet's will be special editions honoring them and the knife. You already said no WI bolsters if this goes into production so I wondered if you had given any more thought to it...

Yes. We know that Yangdu's and Kismet's will be special editions honoring them and the knife. You already said no WI bolsters if this goes into production so I wondered if you had given any more thought to it...

I'm building Kismet's knife now. The bolsters are soldered on. The grind is the best I've ever done. All of the grinds I did this week turned out stunning. Every one will have convex sabre grinds!!

I'm just disheveled right now. Once I get everything straight here, we'll start a signup thread for the PH.

I'm building Kismet's knife now. The bolsters are soldered on. The grind is the best I've ever done. All of the grinds I did this week turned out stunning. Every one will have convex sabre grinds!!

I'm just disheveled right now. Once I get everything straight here, we'll start a signup thread for the PH.

Or ... you could put me right at the top of that list now.:D

Or really ... sort of anywhere on that list I would fit.:)

OK. I really want one of those knives.:eek:

Back