Attention UPDATED EXCHANGE RULES

Status
Not open for further replies.
There isn’t one. It’s the sellers prerogative.

If there are nothing to hide. Why the sellers want to cover the price after the sell.
It would be easier for buyers to estimate the price history of the item.
Would this "no rule" in favor of the seller?

If there are nothing to hide. Why the sellers want to cover the price after the sell.
It would be easier for buyers to estimate the price history of the item.
Would this "no rule" in favor of the seller?

I am not a moderator, but I have bought and sold over 100 knives on Bladeforums over the years, so let me give you my opinion, please.

The price shown is the ASKING price, NOT the final sales price. So that limits the value of knowing what the "asking" price was. It might OVERVALUE the knife, if used for reference by others! Knives will often be sold at somewhere between 70% and 100% of the ASKING price. So if I list a knife for sale at $100, and I end up selling it for $85, do you really want me to leave the $100 up? and perhaps mislead people into thinking that this knife has a "street price" of $100? When really the street price in this case is $85? Or would you rather use the $100 for reference, and get a "great deal" on one like it for $90 a week or two later - when in actuality you "overpaid" $5?

I understand the desire for "reference" prices, but I am completely baffled by people who "demand" to see the "listed price" when it may or may not be close to the actual sales price. And even worse, those who would "demand" that the seller (and by extension, the buyer!) both make the "actual final sales price" public, after a private transaction occurs between them. Adding more variables to the mix, what if I had won a knife in a GAW here that the SELLER posted two years ago, and now I'm asking $100 for the same knife in the example above. The prospective buyer PMs me an offer of $90, and I recognize that this is the person whose knife I won for free in a GAW. So I respond "Wow! I'm loving that knife I won in your giveaway two years ago!! Thanks again! I've been hoping for a way to show my appreciation. What'dya say you send me $55 and call it a deal?" What should the seller be "required" to post as the "final price"? $90? $55? Holy crap....

Also, you asked "Would this "no rule" in favor of the seller?"

No, it's actually in favor of the BUYER! If the seller really needs money or wants to make a quick sale, they might sell a $200 knife for $125! If the price is not changed to SOLD, and the BUYER decides they don't really care for the knife and wants to sell it a week or two later, they don't really want that $125 sales price showing up in the same Knife Exchange sub-forum, do they?

Last edited:
I am not a moderator, but I have bought and sold over 100 knives on Bladeforums over the years, so let me give you my opinion, please.

The price shown is the ASKING price, NOT the final sales price. So that limits the value of knowing what the "asking" price was. It might OVERVALUE the knife, if used for reference by others! Knives will often be sold at somewhere between 70% and 100% of the ASKING price. So if I list a knife for sale at $100, and I end up selling it for $85, do you really want me to leave the $100 up? and perhaps mislead people into thinking that this knife has a "street price" of $100? When really the street price in this case is $85? Or would you rather use the $100 for reference, and get a "great deal" on one like it for $90 a week or two later - when in actuality you "overpaid" $5?

I understand the desire for "reference" prices, but I am completely baffled by people who "demand" to see the "listed price" when it may or may not be close to the actual sales price. And even worse, those who would "demand" that the seller (and by extension, the buyer!) both make the "actual final sales price" public, after a private transaction occurs between them. Adding more variables to the mix, what if I had won a knife in a GAW here that the SELLER posted two years ago, and now I'm asking $100 for the same knife in the example above. The prospective buyer PMs me an offer of $90, and I recognize that this is the person whose knife I won for free in a GAW. So I respond "Wow! I'm loving that knife I won in your giveaway two years ago!! Thanks again! I've been hoping for a way to show my appreciation. What'dya say you send me $55 and call it a deal?" What should the seller be "required" to post as the "final price"? $90? $55? Holy crap....

Also, you asked "Would this "no rule" in favor of the seller?"

No, it's actually in favor of the BUYER! If the seller really needs money or wants to make a quick sale, they might sell a $200 knife for $125! If the price is not changed to SOLD, and the BUYER decides they don't really care for the knife and wants to sell it a week or two later, they don't really want that $125 sales price showing up in the same Knife Exchange sub-forum, do they?
Other places just have you keep the price listed when it sells and give the sold price if it's different. Not hard there and easy to follow

Your other point seems to favor flippers. Not sure anyone wants to do them a favor(?). That is actually a good reason to require listing the sales price, not to allow it to be hidden.

Other places just have you keep the price listed when it sells and give the sold price if it's different. Not hard there and easy to follow

Your other point seems to favor flippers. Not sure anyone wants to do them a favor(?). That is actually a good reason to require listing the sales price, not to allow it to be hidden.
Thanks for your input. I respect your opinion, and I understand the reasoning - but I respectfully disagree.

I see no reason why a buyer and seller should be required to disclose the terms of a private sale, for a knife, and as someone who regularly buys and sells on Bladeforums (probably 10 times more buys than sells!!!) the ASKING price is of no use to me.

Before someone accuses me of being a "flipper", let me say that I keep detailed records of my (many) purchases and (far fewer) sales, and although I try to buy carefully and at a good price, I'm definitely showing a LOSS on the knives I've sold over the years, and that's before factoring in the knives I've given away.

You also mentioned "Other places just have you keep the price listed when it sells and give the sold price if it's different." They have every right to have those rules. I respect the right of Bladeforums to make the rules here, or as in this case, NOT to make the rules. If I use a forum where I " ... just have you keep the price listed when it sells and give the sold price if it's different." then I would respect those rules as well. I have no problem with that rule, other than it seems like an unnecessary additional step for the seller - but it's not enough of an inconvenience that it would cause me not to use the forum in question.

Last edited:
I don't think this is a strong argument. I always leave my list price up for reference purposes and appreciate it when other people do the same. If someone works a deal with me, I don't see a need to update the price to reflect the deal, because that was private. But my list price was always public. If you sell a knife at a list price below price equilibrium for it and leave that price in place for whatever reason (need money fast, want to give someone a deal, whatever), that doesn't hurt anyone, either. A buyer may try to use that to haggle another seller down, but if the other list price was really low, the seller can simply tell the buyer he's welcome to buy one for that price if he can find it.

Reactions: AF
I don't think this is a strong argument. I always leave my list price up for reference purposes and appreciate it when other people do the same. If someone works a deal with me, I don't see a need to update the price to reflect the deal, because that was private. But my list price was always public. If you sell a knife at a list price below price equilibrium for it and leave that price in place for whatever reason (need money fast, want to give someone a deal, whatever), that doesn't hurt anyone, either. A buyer may try to use that to haggle another seller down, but if the other list price was really low, the seller can simply tell the buyer he's welcome to buy one for that price if he can find it.

I respect your opinion. It wouldn't really matter to me if BF makes this a rule, or not. The only reason I posted in this thread is because: 1. it comes up on BF ad nauseam 2. I have a lot of experience here buying and a little bit selling, so if the information in question really had value, as a frequent buyer and infrequent seller, I believe I would probably realize it and take the opposite position - although I'm not completely discounting the possibility that I may just be wrong - and most of all, 3. it seems to me to be "Much Ado about Nothing".

Well, I can only say- nothing need to hide.
This would be good for sellers too.
If I see a knife. It looks very interesting but it is not my regular favored brand. I have no idea of the price range for it. But, If I have some "history" I can quickly check. Maybe I will pull the trigger.
I have been scammed, tricked, multiple occasions (not here though). so I do think buyer's protection is very important.
As I am typing, I found a fake blade on other site. The result is OP pull out the ad with "I didn't know".
I would trust BF a little bit more because the seller need to have a paid membership. so, this place have better control than other sites.

If I see a knife. It looks very interesting but it is not my regular favored brand. I have no idea of the price range for it. But, If I have some "history" I can quickly check. Maybe I will pull the trigger.
I have been scammed, tricked, multiple occasions (not here though). so I do think buyer's protection is very important.
As I am typing, I found a fake blade on other site. The result is OP pull out the ad with "I didn't know".
I would trust BF a little bit more because the seller need to have a paid membership. so, this place have better control than other sites.
I honestly wish people would leave prices up, but I don't really think a rule about it is in order. You follow the rules to have the privilege to make deals here, but at the end of the day the deal is between two individuals and just happens to take place on Bladeforums.

>> jarck said:
>> Well, I can only say- nothing need to hide.

If a buyer lists an ACME ACE TRIDENT SUWAMI knife for $199 on the Knife Exchange, and ends up selling it for $65, I think most of us would appreciate him going back and changing the "price" to $SOLD! Then again, it wouldn't REALLY matter, because no one should over rely on "forum pricing" as their primary determination of value.

Last edited:
Secondary market have no standard pricing for sure.
All prices are just for reference.
I am not asking people to disclose the actual selling price(if there is any).
I am just saying leave the asking on the page instead cover it with a $OLD. (WHY?)
You should shout it loud, I am selling less. Please come buy mine next time.
Or, you hide it so people won't know you pocket a big profit?
This way for a not experienced buyer, at least I (we) can have a ballpark of what we are dealing for. Unless, Greedy (sorry about my choice of word) is the intent.

Sorry, guys,
fair market, fair trade, fair everything,

I am just saying leave the asking on the page instead cover it with a $OLD. (WHY?)
This way for a not experienced buyer, at least I (we) can have a ballpark of what we are dealing for. Unless, Greedy (sorry about my choice of word) is the intent.

Sorry, guys,
Why not pay for a Gold membership yourself before you come in here attempting to direct what sellers should do with their sales, or assign negative connotations or motivations to them? 44 posts in over three years of membership, with like, one feedback? Looks to me like you participate on this forum barely if at all. We are free to conduct business how we see fit, as long as we are within the scope of the current rules. If you want to have an Exchange run your way, start your own forum, thanks!

Sorry, guys,
I understand you are talking sitewide, but one option, if you are the interested buyer on a specific item, is to ask the seller, as part of negotiations, to leave the price up. However, if it is a hot item and you are doing a quick “I’ll take it”, this probably isn’t an option.

Also, if you feel strongly on this, you can search a sellers past sales posts, and if they do the $old thing, then simply don’t buy from them.

Why not pay for a Gold membership yourself before you come in here attempting to direct what sellers should do with their sales, or assign negative connotations or motivations to them? 44 posts in over three years of membership, with like, one feedback? Looks to me like you participate on this forum barely if at all. We are free to conduct business how we see fit, as long as we are within the scope of the current rules. If you want to have an Exchange run your way, start your own forum, thanks!
Generally speaking,, Membership is a regulation for the sellers not for buyer. I buy, I pay the $. You sell, You follow the rules. You have the advantages of reaching out all the buyers visiting the site paid or none paid membership.
one post or 1000 posts does not discredit any opinion.

Generally speaking,, Membership is a regulation for the sellers not for buyer. I buy, I pay the $. You sell, You follow the rules. You have the advantages of reaching out all the buyers visiting the site paid or none paid membership.
You're making my point for me. You're just a buyer...here trying to tell sellers what they should be doing, because it benefits you.

No.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Membership is a regulation for the sellers not for the buyer"
This site is a knife discussion forum that features an exchange for buying and selling. Sure, there are some members who use it the other way around (mainly as an exchange and don't participate in the community ) but either way, there are rules for everyone.

You’re correct, however this has been beaten to death by many opinions already.

The way the rules are currently written, it’s the sellers prerogative to leave or delete the sale price.

If you wish to continue this discussion, start a thread in GBU… this thread is not the place for it.

You’re correct, however this has been beaten to death by many opinions already.

The way the rules are currently written, it’s the sellers prerogative to leave or delete the sale price.

If you wish to continue this discussion, start a thread in GBU… this thread is not the place for it.

Sorry about the wrong thread, I thought this is the thread for the rules. I guess this is only for posting the rules to comply not to discuss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back