1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Updated w2 heat treat?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Justin Schmidt, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Justin Schmidt

Justin Schmidt Schmidt Forge Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 18, 2016
    I know there was some issues and I'd REALLY like to not start a flaming war. But is there an updated heat treat schedule for the newest w2?

2. butcher_block

butcher_block KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 6, 2004
    just ran 2 different W2 bars and one hardned fine the other not even close the one that went perfect was Don H W2 from years ago and i had been saving it for special projects

Ryan Minchew and Justin Schmidt like this.
  3. DevinT

DevinT KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 29, 2010
    Knife steel nerds has 2 new articles on annealing. Study it carefully and you’ll learn how to condition steel for the best heat treatment.

Edit: the problem with certain batches of steel is the improper anneal.

Hoss

4. milkbaby

milkbaby

Aug 1, 2016
    I watched Forged in Fire and say just heat it until orange and then dunk in that stuff that always catches on fire. Done! :D

Justin Schmidt and comet_sharp like this.
  5. butcher_block

butcher_block KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 6, 2004
    yep i know what i need to do just going to wait till i get the kiln running at high temp for other work so i can cycle the 2 blades and the rest of the new bar so that it will be ready to heat treat down the road

Justin Schmidt likes this.
  6. Justin Schmidt

Justin Schmidt Schmidt Forge Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 18, 2016
    Ok I will read that and come up with a plan thank you hoss

7. robwil

robwil

Aug 18, 2007
    I am not sure what you are asking. By Heat Treat schedule are you referring to a schedule that establishes a time when some W2 could be heat treated? My gut tells me you might be asking about temperatures, times, quenching media, and such for a new W2 alloy. If that is what you are after, it would be helpful to have the data analysis of the particular batch of W2 that you are asking about, and the producer should be able to provide a recommendation of their heat treating spec's for the batch in question. Most specifications provided by anyone for any type of steel are somewhat generalized for heat treating, so steel compositions that are closely the same will likely heat treat satisfactorily. A simple way of refining a process is to heat treat one or more sample pieces to see how the steel is reacting.

8. butcher_block

Dec 6, 2004
    he is talking about a batch of steel that came from the mill that was so fine grained that it would not harden with the std heat to 1475 quench in parks and temper to rc you want. if you forge said steel you will need to reset the grain post forging anyhow and all issues are gone if you are a stock removal maker then you have to do a few more steps to gett it ready for HT. i didnt know this when i got my 1/8 inch flat stock. now that i know that is the case i can reset the grain for my needs and then heat treat as normal