Photos [Updated with BR’s response] Problems with Brand New Bark River Gunny CPM-3V

Status
Not open for further replies.
I admittedly am still tempted by the MACV-SOG Knife from them, but past behavior sort of keeps me from it, aside from being unsure about dropping the money on a fixed blade I can't carry or have really any use for.
I get it. It's too bad you can't get a "high end" SOG bowie from SOG themselves ... of course there's a decent chance you won't get one from Bark River either. :p

after reading BRK & Mike Stewart history - this is 100% not surprising - it would be really interesting if all BRK '3v' owners actually did a test on their steel... I wonder what % would end up A2 ?

My two BRKT knives in "A2" will not rust. One of them is 14 years old and has never had a wax or any other protective coating applied. It stays in it's leather sheath and is 100% rust and stain free.

Mustard and vinegar wouldn't stain it.

I suspect it's AUS-6.

Instead of offering to fix it, Mike Stewart laughed it off when I pointed that and the shoddy, mismatched scales out on his forum at knifeforums.

The appeal of BRK is their use of tried and true, classic patterns, w/ a competent level of fit and finish..

These were my thoughts when I was starting this hobby about 8 yrs ago.

I purchased a new Bravo1/ Grn polished micarta w/ thumb ramp in A2 from a reputable dealer, on board. The knife, in my opinion, was beautiful.

However, there were scratches from the sheath...from the snap (Older Sharp Shooter sheaths..remember? )..agressive, and multiple. I'm not terribly picky, but this warranted a phone call. I called BRK..instead of the distributor..mistake/blessing.

The CS rep was rude to say the least (no, it wasn't Mike)..but on top of that, the policy at that time was for the customer to ship the knife back w/ the sheath and monies (it was too much $, can't remember the exact amount) for what I think they said was for return shipping...as they've had this complaint and were going to replace the sheath.

I had a few more polite questions on policy and procedures about this particular , all met w/ what amounted to smoke being blown up my rear end.

I wasn't completely done w/ BRK at this point...I understand that one CS rep and their translation of policy, may not be an accurate reflection on the business specific, or product.

I brought the issue up on board here and had the pleasure of an exchange w/ Mike himself..that had been enough for me.

I sold the knife at a gun show (about gave it away) happy to be rid of it.

This is all before the blade steel marking debacle. Glad I got out when I did. Shame..I did/do like some of the patterns....but, dodged a bullet. An unreliable, slow, crooked bullet.

Not another dime of mine will see BRK

I sold the knife at a gun show (about gave it away) happy to be rid of it.

I keep mine because I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I sold them to someone else, not knowing what they are made of and, they serve as a reminder to not be tempted to even consider another.

After handling/using them I usually find myself in the fetal position in the shower crying, "I feel so dirty! They don't make water hot enough! ...The dirt won't come off!!"

:p

I just bought my first BRK very recently. a Bravo 1 LT Cru-Wear. I have noticed it patina'd very quickly, MUCH quicker than all my other Z-Wear, Cru-Wear, Spectrumwear, PD#1 knives! It acts like all the others in every other way, but the corrosion resistance. Although, I do have one that went through secondary hardening, and that one has similar corrosion resistance.

:mad: Any manufacturer can have slip-ups , but this seems to be a continuing pattern of either purposeful scamming or very negligent QC procedures . At their price point , they should be able to deliver the steel as promised and done right . I'd be mighty surprised and PO'd if Cold Steel sent me a 3V Master Hunter that turned out to be a cheaper steel . I don't expect that to ever happen from Cold Steel - at half the price of BRK ! :)

I’ve read about Bark River’s poor reputation, but didn’t pay much attention because of their overwhelmingly positive reviews everywhere else.

I received the popular Bark River Gunny in CPM-3V today and it was stained and scratched. These blades look oxidized and slightly rusted in these spots. Furthermore, the oxidation spots do not appear natural. I tried to wash and rub them off, but they remain. After washing the blade, I intentionally left a couple of drops of water and within half an hour, surface rust started appearing.

I decided to test a little further and put a couple of drops of water on the other side of the blade and waited an hour to see how it would react. It rusted within that hour. It was mostly on the surface, but it developed two deep pits that cannot be rubbed off by hand without using sandpaper, which I decided not to do in case I return this.

This 3V Gunny seems to rust faster than if it were A2 steel. These stains and scratches may or may not have an impact on the performance of this knife and some might think that I’m overreacting. So I’d like to hear your thoughts.

I bought this from KnivesShipFree and am waiting on their response.

HBnu6Tb.jpg

This picture was taken immediately after opening. The knife arrived with these markings.

c4Ef3h5.jpg

There are strange stains that cannot be removed by hand without the right tools.

jIZcC1s.jpg

Rust appeared after 30 minutes of leaving a bit of water on the blade after washing.

TzozkBi.jpg

Tested further by leaving two drops of tap water on the blade to dry.

ZNS8EiR.jpg

Surface rust appeared after an hour. After rubbing this off with my fingers, I discovered deep pits that cannot be removed by hand without the right tools.

Very interesting first post, sir.

So what was your last screen name?

I just bought my first BRK very recently. a Bravo 1 LT Cru-Wear. I have noticed it patina'd very quickly, MUCH quicker than all my other Z-Wear, Cru-Wear, Spectrumwear, PD#1 knives! It acts like all the others in every other way, but the corrosion resistance. Although, I do have one that went through secondary hardening, and that one has similar corrosion resistance.

cru-wear is only 7.5% chrome, so it's not nearly stainless... about 5% shy of that
so the difference might be just different heat treats, as that often has an impact on stain tests

(or, it could be more nefarious... would be good to get an easy test to find out for certain)

Very interesting first post, sir.

So what was your last screen name?
First post in these forums.

It looks like it’s going to be tough getting a new bushcrafter from Carothers with how few they produce and how desired they are. Survive! GSO 4.1 has a very long wait time as well. L.T. Wright doesn’t have what I’m looking for.

I’ve been using the Fallkniven F1 and was searching for another convex blade with better edge retention for longer trips. I thought that this Gunny 3V would be the answer.

It looks like it’s going to be tough getting a new bushcrafter from Carothers with how few they produce and how desired they are. Survive! GSO 4.1 has a very long wait time as well. L.T. Wright doesn’t have what I’m looking for.

I’ve been using the Fallkniven F1 and was searching for another convex blade with better edge retention for longer trips. I thought that this Gunny 3V would be the answer.
Find a similarly-sized blade in the right steel and then have Razor Edge Knives regrind the thing for you.

I keep mine because I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I sold them to someone else, not knowing what they are made of and, they serve as a reminder to not be tempted to even consider another.

After handling/using them I usually find myself in the fetal position in the shower crying, "I feel so dirty! They don't make water hot enough! ...The dirt won't come off!!"

:p

I don't appreciate you suggesting that I pawned this off on some unsuspecting buyer...impuning my character...

Again, this was before any knowledge of wrong steel makings. All I knew was it had scratches from a lousy sheath...from a company w/ sub par CS, owned by a complete douche' bag. All of which I did disclose.

If the issues of the steel markings were known... I wouldn't have sold it for the $50 I did...I would have given it away.

If this comes across as hostile...not my intention. Maybe you didn't read my whole post. Maybe you lack reading comprehension...I couldnt say.

Regardless, be it laziness or absence of skill set on your part...I take offence at your ignorant statement.

Last edited:
I'm surprised to hear that. I have a number of knives from Mike Stewart's shop(s), two Campcrafts and a Fieldcraft in 52100 from when he was at Marble's and a lovely little blade in A2 from his Bark River shop, and they are among the finest knives I own.

Maybe take a look at the Bradford Gaurdian 4 design. GPK has some full flat ground cpm3v blades with Peters Heat Treatment.
BHQ has the saber ground v4e blades.

Last edited:
Saying Survive! has a wait time might be the understatement of the decade. I'm sure you can find something around that floats your goats, either custom, or if you give a list of specs, I'm sure you'll get some suggestions.

Thank you for taking that test and sharing your results. Based off our results, I’m pretty certain that my blade is made out of A2 and not 3V as labeled. After multiple reports of mislabeled knives, you’d think that that this would have been remedied years ago. To have this issue of mislabeling go on for this long indicates that this is likely intentional and therefore a fraudulent practice.

Many of you are agree that 3V is a good steel. Can you recommend a reliable 3V bushcrafting knife at around 4”?

No response from KnivesShipFree, probably because it’s the weekend.

The Outback from LT Wright is an excellent 3V knife in your knife size. You can also choose from either a scandi or saber grind.
jnrF42X.jpg

Rupestris Rupestris

You may want to reconsider your " Like":D

I apologize if I inferred that you pawned it off. That isn't what I meant by my post. It was more about me and my regret and thinking that Stewart changed his spots. It's being angry at myself. Not you.

In selling it at a gun show I assumed that you were a patron. Not a dealer or seller that had a table at the show.

The reason I gave you the "like" was comment about selling to it someone you didn't like.

It really doesn't bother me that you sold yours. BRKT's are sold every day on the secondary market. My decision to keep mine is on me alone. You can keep the "like";).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back