Photos [Updated with BR’s response] Problems with Brand New Bark River Gunny CPM-3V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stewart has always been fast and loose with this stuff. Various people involved in the old Blackjack operations called him out on this years ago during the start of the forums. And back when they were involved in Knifeforums, Stewart, himself admitted swapping and using whatever steel was on hand during the Blackjack / Ek days. Granted that was in reference to simple carbon steels.

Enjoy the knives, but never trust Mike Stewart.

Last edited:
I apologize if I inferred that you pawned it off. That isn't what I meant by my post. It was more about me and my regret and thinking that Stewart changed his spots. It's being angry at myself. Not you.

In selling it at a gun show I assumed that you were a patron. Not a dealer or seller that had a table at the show.

The reason I gave you the "like" was comment about selling to it someone you didn't like.

It really doesn't bother me that you sold yours. BRKT's are sold every day on the secondary market. My decision to keep mine is on me alone. You can keep the "like";).

Right on.

Not to further Muddy up the thread, however...not that it matters, but I had a table at the show..we had three tables actually. There as enthusiasts and representing no retailer.

My only issue was your false and or presumed assessment of my character (How could I sleep at night? Paraphrasing here)...which I value and hold in high regard...on a board where this issue of character and reputation are paramount and I strive to maintain. As I do in life...It's not difficult, but important...to me anyway.

Plenty of examples of people being frivolous and careless w/ their own character and reputation...much less being frivolous and careless w/ someone elses.

This is what I didn't appreciate. I don't care what you did w/ your knife or how you "feel" about Mike or his company.....No judgement, whatsoever. Sincerely.

But, we good...

Apologies for the long and off topic subject(s)..Some of the longest posts I've made in some time...thought it important enough to address here, in open post.

Last edited:
cru-wear is only 7.5% chrome, so it's not nearly stainless... about 5% shy of that
so the difference might be just different heat treats, as that often has an impact on stain tests

(or, it could be more nefarious... would be good to get an easy test to find out for certain)
Exactly my thoughts. I am sure it was the heat treat for my blade. It acts exactly like Cru-Wear with a HT that has used up a lot of the chromium.
That said, there are other makers out there that I'd much rather buy from. Most are cheaper too. Even a lot of great custom makers are cheaper.

I can't add anything to the 3V/A2 discussion nor can I defend M.Stewarts past business and reputation. I will say that the corrosion seen can come about on 3V and CPM Cruwear and most other tool steels if there was no cleaning / passivating of the knife after the grinding and buffing finish. The powder which we can't see sticks to the microscopic grooves and can even be magnetized from the grinder/buffer. This stuff will rust quickly in less time than regular finished steel and can cause exactly what is seen above. It will spread to the blade steel itself and can cause rusting on the surface on even high corrosion resistance steels like 440C. Cleaning the powder/grit/dust off is a simple and painless process that takes little time and effort and has proven worthwhile to me. A wipe down with an oily cloth may not always be enough . The first few times I ever waxed a knife with a clean cloth I was amazed at how much stuff polished off the blade that I couldn't see before even after some use and cleaning. Many if not most get passivated by the maker but I act as if they weren't just in case someone forgot or was in a hurry.

Of course the knife might be an incorrectly labeled knife. I have no way of knowing. I throw this steel dust idea into the ring because problem solving 101 tells us to first look and eliminate the simplest and most probable answers before moving on to the next and less probable ones. There are some issues with the finish quality on the knife in the images and that alone could be a reason for a return. It's not my call though. It was purchased from a good retailer and I would be surprised if there are any problems on a return if the OP decides to go that way.

Joe

I must admit, I am a fan of their knife designs - most of them seem useful and minimalist design wise which is something I like. I don't own any because of the history I read about on bf :)

You should all read this thread: it has been very informative for me - I won't touch BRK because of this
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bark-river-has-taken-16-000-of-my-money.585934/
If of useful and minimalistic design, its because BRK mimics many useful and minimalistic designs - plenty of high quality useful and minimalistic knives out there, where one does not have to buy from BRK and where one will get the steel advertised.

Maybe look into Carothers/CPK. They make minimalist knives and are certainly useful. People behind the company seems like decent folks as well. No affiliation - just have the NASK, FK, EDC.

Yes, I remember that thread. Sadly plenty like it here and else where. MS seems to have screwed people over, no matter which field he touched; knives, house rent and was it watches, cigars etc etc etc, I forget, but seems to be a pattern here. A habitual offender. Astounding, that he has gotten away with it for so long.

Many of you are agree that 3V is a good steel. Can you recommend a reliable 3V bushcrafting knife at around 4”?

One idea would be Nathan Carothers' EDC, either the first or second generation. He puts them up for sale every so often, as announced on his subforum here, and you have to be fast. They also come up on the sales forum fairly often, usually with a markup.

Here's a link to his now closed EDC2 sale. It will explain the knife.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/closed-edc2-pre-order.1517569/

There's a Carothers EDC in 3V for sale now in the fixed-blade for sale subforum.

Yes, the CPK EDC is highly recommended. Pls note, there are an EDC1 and an EDC2 - the 2 have more belly. For bushcraft purposes, the EDC1 with less belly will be the one to get.
Handles on the 1 and 2 are interchangeable BTW. If the handles on the 1 are too big, a set of less hand filling scales from the EDC2 can be fitted.
I have an EDC in Delta 3V - great knives from good people.

I don't endorse mike Stewart or BRK and I'll admit, I don't know all the drama involved with them. I also don't care.

I will say that I have all the knives that have been mentioned in this thread plus a hundred more in the same category.

I don't own any knives better than my BRK bravo LT in cruwear or my aurora LT in 3v (even if it might be a2).

I always take these threads with a grain of salt and suspicion because they are sometimes started by someone with no posts and brand new. It seems like several people immediately parrot the same trash talk.

Maybe I wear a tin foil hat but there is most definitely some type of agenda to continuously discredit and bash BRK. Yet they still sell a ton of great knives.

Take that as you like but pleas don't begin a debate with me, because I won't defend BRK. I'll only point out there is something fishy and nefarious about the dozens of similar threads

I don't endorse mike Stewart or BRK and I'll admit, I don't know all the drama involved with them. I also don't care.

I will say that I have all the knives that have been mentioned in this thread plus a hundred more in the same category.

I don't own any knives better than my BRK bravo LT in cruwear or my aurora LT in 3v (even if it might be a2).

I always take these threads with a grain of salt and suspicion because they are sometimes started by someone with no posts and brand new. It seems like several people immediately parrot the same trash talk.

Maybe I wear a tin foil hat but there is most definitely some type of agenda to continuously discredit and bash BRK. Yet they still sell a ton of great knives.

Take that as you like but pleas don't begin a debate with me, because I won't defend BRK. I'll only point out there is something fishy and nefarious about the dozens of similar threads

You have the NASK and the FK and rate your BRK over those - just want to make sure, I got that right and that you didnt miss the mention of these knives?

As for the rest of your post; where there is smoke ...

+ loads of threads here and else where about MS and BRK with people having first hand experience speaking out as to the 'character' of MS and the dealings with BRK, so you are right on that point: Nobody will engage you in a debate about this. Its not like its up for discussion nor are there any lingering doubts as to knives with the wrong steel nor in regards to MS.

The knives sell because plenty people dont care and/or dont know. Many knife buyers dont read BF nor care an iota about our hobby nor special steels - they just want an affordable knife.

Reactions: Mo2
You have the NASK and the FK and rate your BRK over those - just want to make sure, I got that right and that you didnt miss the mention of these knives?

As for the rest of your post; where there is smoke ...

+ loads of threads here and else where about MS and BRK with people having first hand experience speaking out as to the 'character' of MS and the dealings with BRK, so you are right on that point: Nobody will engage you in a debate about this. Its not like its up for discussion nor are there any lingering doubts as to knives with the wrong steel nor in regards to MS.

The knives sell because plenty people dont care and/or dont know. Many knife buyers dont read BF nor care an iota about our hobby nor special steels - they just want an affordable knife.

Yes. I have one of the prototype d2 hdfks, a d3v HDFK, an fk and edc1 and 2. They are absolutely great but no, I will not reach for them before I reach for my two BRK knives. I didn't rate any of them over the others though. There's no question CPK makes a tip top tool. But regardless of how offended people get over MS behavior or the hundreds of pile on posts about steel, one cannot question that an Aurora LT is amazing. Now factor in I can get it in a million different combos (I like blue denim micarta). The convex grind on it just really works and the blade shape speaks to me.

So at least the two BRK knives I have: the bravo LT and the aurora LT, one simply cannot deny the design is genius and those two knives can compete with anything on the market for a bushcraft knife. Even if one doesn't like the owner and even if there are 100 posts from ghosts bashing the company.

The guys that bash BRK still have no problem with a company ran by a convicted felon that will take your money and continuously lie to you about a knife you ordered years ago. So it can't be the "I can't separate the owner from the company" mentality.

The knife world is full of makers that have less than stellar business practices but they aren't bashed like BRK. I believe there's more to it. I believe there is a campaign to continuously bash BRK in an attempt to hurt their business. Just my opinion.

Now there is a conspiracy against bark river :rolleyes:

Or, and this just a thought, Mike's making his own bed hard by continually screwing around with peoples money and sending out knives in the wrong steel.

Got to love when a person says they don't know and don't care about the history of a topic and then says there is a conspiracy LOL

I wonder how many times BRK "accidently" mismarks 3V as A2?
That's funny!
I have a number of Blackjacks and a couple regular BRKT offerings using their own brand. I have not been disappointed overall. The comment about "never trusting Mike Stewart" is telling. There is some grain of truth to this. But I'm not so hard core. I have been pleased with my recent purchase in Cru-Wear from them. The concerns make me wonder if it really is Cru-Wear at all versus their standard A-2. I would never know the difference quite honestly. I also like their A-2 and I generally believe it IS A-2.

As far as KSF goes, they are packing for their move Memorial Day weekend. I wouldn't expect a lot of TLC from them for a couple weeks until their move is finished and they are back up and running. Once I know their new address, I'm going to swing by there and offer volunteer services unpacking and so forth it they are interested.

Last edited:
I didn't rate any of them over the others though.

Sure you did:

Take that as you like but pleas don't begin a debate with me, because I won't defend BRK.
Yet, that is pretty much, what you are doing.

But you are right - its not up to debate; MS is a shady character and BRK has turned out some mismatched/wrongly described knives.
In spite of your conspiracy theory, none of this is up for debate, Ill give you that.

I'll only point out there is something fishy and nefarious about the dozens of similar threads
Nope, where there is smoke, there is fire + see above.

Now factor in I can get it in a million different combos (I like blue denim micarta). The convex grind on it just really works and the blade shape speaks to me.
That you can get pretty handle colors is not really the point.

The guys that bash BRK still have no problem with a company ran by a convicted felon that will take your money and continuously lie to you about a knife you ordered years ago.
Why this strange comment and why bring in yet another nebulous company.

Facts have been stated, as previously mentioned; MS is a shady character and BRK have sent out wrongly labelled knives.

Not sure, what you are alluding to - are you lumping me in with people, who 'have no problem with a company ran by a convicted felon that will take your money and continuously lie to you about a knife you ordered years ago?'

Last edited:
And now you will see the personal attacks on me for not ganging up on BRK and having a different openion. And it will likely be the same people that have done it in the past.

But yeah, there's nothing weird going on. There are three or four posters that are basically the BRK patrol. They post on every thread with bashing and they'll bash anyone that doesn't agree.

Why this strange comment and why being in yet another nebulous company.

Facts have been stated, as previously mentioned; MS is a shady character and BRK have sent out wrongly labelled knives.

Not sure, what you are alluding to - are lumping me in with people, who 'have no problem with a company ran by a convicted felon that will take your money and continuously lie to you about a knife you ordered years ago?'

Doesn't have anything to do with you.. None of my posts do. Whenever there is talk of a BRK alternative someone mentions the other knife maker

It's not just you. Average looking knives from a company with a terrible history. Why anyone would buy one is beyond my comprehension. Buy some similar knife from a reputable company. They are a dime a dozen.

Because unless you really research it to see the reviews and learn about the ongoing problems, you just don't know about the history. I'm sure most people see a knives that are priced right along with BHK, LTW, etc... and assume they are of comparable quality.

Remember, BFC members are a small microcosm of the knife-buying world. I'd bet that even plenty of BFC members aren't savvy to the BRK's problematic history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back