Photos [Updated with BR’s response] Problems with Brand New Bark River Gunny CPM-3V

Status
Not open for further replies.
You mean the response in which I quoted in my post...

All I am saying is making a big detailed post on how you received a product that was not to your liking before giving the company proper time to fix the situation makes the company look bad for people who are possibly going to buy from them in the future. People make threads all the time here in which they receive something not to their liking and when asked have not even gone through the company's customer service to remedy the situation. Its like if I ordered something at a restaurant and it did not come out right so I told the waitress, and before she could have me brought out something else/talk to cook I started showing other people sitting down what was wrong with my food. I have no stake in either company, or own any of their products either. Just doesnt seem like the moral thing to do.
I'm pretty sure you are the only one that leapt to that conclusion.

Also your scenario isn't accurate. He's not bashing anything. It's more like if he was trying a new food for the first time and the food came out smelling funky so he decided to ask people around him if they've ever had that food and if the smell was normal.

Not throwing a fit, not making a scene, just asking for information from people with more knowledge on the subject.... Which is a big part of why forums exist.

Because unless you really research it to see the reviews and learn about the ongoing problems, you just don't know about the history. I'm sure most people see a knives that are priced right along with BHK, LTW, etc... and assume they are of comparable quality.

Remember, BFC members are a small microcosm of the knife-buying world. I'd bet that even plenty of BFC members aren't savvy to the BRK's problematic history.
True enough.

I'm pretty sure you are the only one that leapt to that conclusion.

Also your scenario isn't accurate. He's not bashing anything. It's more like if he was trying a new food for the first time and the food came out smelling funky so he decided to ask people around him if they've ever had that food and if the smell was normal.

Not throwing a fit, not making a scene, just asking for information from people with more knowledge on the subject.... Which is a big part of why forums exist.
This is accurate. Thank you. I’ve been posting questions throughout the thread, but people seem to prefer bickering amongst themselves.

I’m quoting myself below and am still looking for recommendations based on my criteria and still have open questions regarding 3V steel.

Thanks, all.

Unfortunately, after looking up what others have suggested, I still like the appearance, dimensions, and specs of the Gunny more. Convex, 3V, around 4”, for bushcrafting. What reputable custom knife company can you recommend?

I’m assuming that based off everyone’s reactions, that 3V should not be rusting the way my knife is. What will cause a 3V blade to rust normally then? Do I need to worry about rust if I were caught in the rain and got the knife and sheath soaked on a week-long camping trip? That would be a common scenario. Will the salty ocean air corrode a 3V blade if I were to take it sailing?

I would have recommended LT Wright as an alternative, but I believe you’ve ruled them out. Not sure where else to steer you outside of a custom from one of our forum members.

Reactions: Mo2
You mean the response in which I quoted in my post...

All I am saying is making a big detailed post on how you received a product that was not to your liking before giving the company proper time to fix the situation makes the company look bad for people who are possibly going to buy from them in the future. People make threads all the time here in which they receive something not to their liking and when asked have not even gone through the company's customer service to remedy the situation. Its like if I ordered something at a restaurant and it did not come out right so I told the waitress, and before she could have me brought out something else/talk to cook I started showing other people sitting down what was wrong with my food. I have no stake in either company, or own any of their products either. Just doesnt seem like the moral thing to do.
I assure you knives ship free is not affected by this. They are stand up company and has resolved customer issues. Nor does it seem like the op was bashing them either. This problem is brk

This is accurate. Thank you. I’ve been posting questions throughout the thread, but people seem to prefer bickering amongst themselves.

I’m quoting myself below and am still looking for recommendations based on my criteria and still have open questions regarding 3V steel.

Thanks, all.
Recommendations so far:
Caraothers
Big Chris
LT Wright
Sargent Edged Tools
Scott Grossman
Bradford

Ever thought of trying the spyderco zoomer?? Not the most striking knife in looks but it's a bushcraft knife and has a unique convex grind. It's on my list of things to get for myself. Spyderco do alot of testing before releasing.

Spyderco-Zoomer-Black-G10-satin-BHQ-78713-er-large.jpg

The Spyderco Zoomer fixed blade was designed by survival expert Thomas Zoomer to exceed the functionality of traditional bushcraft knives. It has an ergonomic handle design crafted from two solid machined G-10 scales, that envelop a sturdy full-tang blade. The tang extends past the handle to serve as a striker and lanyard attachment. Take your bushcrafting game to the next level with the Spyderco Zoomer.

Features:
  • CPM-20CV steel blade with a zero-ground hamaguri convex grind provides a high performance cutting edge.
  • Seamlessly contoured G-10 scales offer a comfortable grip devoid of all hot spots.
  • Item includes a high-quality leather sheath for convenient carry.
Available after 07/05/2018 from what I've read.

Here's some more hi res photos. https://spydercollector.wordpress.com/tag/thomas-zoomer/

Last edited:
It's odd that 3v has such high stain resisting reports... it's really rather low in chrome at 7.5% (same as cru-wear)

It also has only 0.8% carbon, (where cru-wear is 1.1%)... I would expect D2 to be much better at resisting stains at nearly 12%, but it does and can stain

(I'd be interested to know how 3v and d2 drop tests, side by side, turn out and when exactly each of them start to show signs of staining...)

additional edit for LuketheSpook: I'm fairly new to the bf, and I don't see any signs of a conspiracy against BRK or MS. It's simply helpful bf members saying, 'be aware, there is bad history here, you may want to look into it'. End result, I did spend time searching for the history and was repulsed by what I read. I choose not to buy anything from BRK or even used blackjacks as a result. That is my choice, I don't like to support bad actors in any industry and that's how I do it. For the same reasons, I choose to not buy anything from volkswagon, nike, etc etc. This is exactly how a good, free, open forum system serves the public; to have a long memory and allow users to make their own informed choices.

Last edited:
I have a weird fixation on convex edges, but I’ll look into your recommendation in more detail

LT Wright does do convex versions on some of their models, like the Genesis and GNS. DLT carries convex versions of both of these.

I'm fairly new to the bf, and I don't see any signs of a conspiracy against BRK or MS

I doubt anyone is consciously planning to conspire against BRK, but there have been so many stories about them, from so many sources, that it's hard to ignore.

I look at it this way - for me, high-end knives are a luxury, not a necessity. If I'm spending discretionary funds on a luxury, I might as well spend it in a way that supports people whose values I support (voting with my wallet, so to speak). Why give money to someone with a questionable history of quality control and customer service, when I can buy a comparable product for a comparable price from someone that doesn't bring that baggage with them.

I only have a few older BRKT knives none in any exotic steels ... and they have been good knives but they were bought very early on and before hearing any mention of the issues many bring up ...

I will say I haven't read every post but I can speak to LT Wright's knives and their 3V is great ... as 91bravo 91bravo mentioned I sent him my LT Wright Outback in 3V to try because he was considering one ... (and I hope he is enjoying it!) ... lol

but it is 3V I slightly convexed the Sabre groung edge and I have field dressed and skinned a few wild hogs and a whitetail deer and even the blood didn't leave any rust or stains ... I cleaned the blade and washed the micarta handle but it was a few hours it had blood and such on it and I saw no bit of staining or rust ...

I will admit I am a big fan of LT Wright Knives and Blind Horse before that ... so if you are on the fence about an LT Wright model you may want to give it a look ... they do offer some models in AEB-L now also I have a GNS in AEB-L with a convex edge ... love it ... it won't have the edge retention of 3V but I've found it sharpens easily and gets crazy sharp ...

Some mentioned the Bradford Guardian 4 ... and next to LT Wright I do like the Guardian 4 in a full flat grind it is a great slicer and should work well as a bushcraft knife also ... if LT Wrights offerings don't appeal to you ...

Not very difficult to convex a saber ground LT Wright :pblade! I have an Outback JJ_Colt45 JJ_Colt45 sent me to try out and it's excellent! He may have a hard time getting it back from me...:D

As long as there is a bit of that beautiful fatwood in the box you may talk me into forgetting where it's at for awhile ... lol

Last edited:
...3v done half right won't do what is in the OP. So that begs the question....Is it 3v done poorly or is it not 3v? Which is worse? I'm betting it is A2. Very good steel but you should get what you pay for.
That's my take on this whole deal. The knife needs to be replaced by BRKT. This goes beyond warranty.

I think BRKT depends on people NOT using their knives. Doesn't matter what steel it is if it looks purty. ;) I wonder how a regular person can tell a knife made with A-2 from Cru-wear? This is the problem in reality.... for most of us, you have to trust the manufacturer/maker.

Last edited:
So at least the two BRK knives I have: the bravo LT and the aurora LT, one simply cannot deny the design is genius and those two knives can compete with anything on the market for a bushcraft knife. Even if one doesn't like the owner and even if there are 100 posts from ghosts bashing the company.

I have never handled a BRK, but I will say I like some of their designs. Can you explain what is genius about them? The handles look nice but pretty standard. I have a HDFK and I think it's a great design, especially the contoured micarta grips. What puts the BRK over the HDFK?

I have a HDFK and I think it's a great design, especially the contoured micarta grips. What puts the BRK over the HDFK?

I don’t think anyone here has claimed that they put BRK over HDFK.

I chose Bark River because they have a ton of choices in terms of blade shapes, grinds, steels, handles, dimensions, etc. I also liked their classic, simple look and lifetime warranty. However, after this experience, I don’t think I will ever buy another Bark River.

The Carouthers Field Knife in 3V looks great, but I really want a convex grind as a bushcrafter and I don’t trust myself to manually grind out a convex shape evenly without affecting the integrity of the blade.

Supposedly, Fallkniven is coming out with new models with laminated CoS steel so I may resort to that, but at the same time, I’d really like a true 3V bushcrafter. I’ve received good recommendations and am looking into all of them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back