UPDATED! ZT 0566 for $47.70, plus $105 Pimp Job! Oh yes!

BBKoenigsegg

Gold Member
PREFACE

Well BF, I have a success story to tell you (well, at least I think so). A few years ago, I bought some Smith & Wesson knives off of eBay just because I thought they were cool. Years later (last year), I got fed up because the steel would never hold an edge, no matter what. This was when I went on my quest to get a better knife. Thanks to this wonderful forum, I learned about the best manufacturers, the best knives, and all aspects of them, especially blade steels. I quickly feel in love with Kershaw. I then found out about ZT, but I couldn't afford one because I am on a small budget as a Mechanical Engineering student in his 3rd year of college. After buying a few knives for no more than $55 (that is the most I've spent on a knife- sad, I know), I decided to look at the trade forums. THIS was my ticket to my ZT. I had acquired some pretty cool knives for my baby budget, and I thought someone else might think so, too. This is where the $47.70 comes in :) I bought a (new condition, without box) Cold Steel Counter Point 1 for $30 off the forums and loved it, but didn't think I'd use it, which is why I wanted to trade it. I found a member that wanted a 4" CS for his (BNIB) Buck Marksman. The only condition was that I pay his end of this shipping as well, so we traded! Honestly, I liked the Buck, but my heart was with Kai, so I needed to see what I could get for it. So I went back to the trade forums and searched for Buck Marksman. Sure enough, I found another member that wanted a Buck Marksman! I contacted him and simply said I really want to get into ZTs. He told me he'd love to trade, and that he had a (LNIB) ZT 0566 that he'd trade with me. Oh the joy :D I traded with him and received my first ZT in the mail earlier this week. I couldn't believe that I worked my way from that awesome CS to my first ZT. I'm currently talking to another member on the forums about modifying it to truly make it my own, which I am looking forward to. I figured with the money I saved on the knife itself, might as well make it my dream ZT! I'll post some before and after pics of it :)

Main Story

Bought a (new condition, without box) Cold Steel Counter Point 1 - $30

Traded for a (BNIB) Buck Marksman - $11.75 (paid for his shipping)

Traded for a (LNIB) ZT 0566 - $5.95 (shipping)

Total: $47.70!

Pics

Thought I'd just share my story, because I'm super excited. I truly thank the two forum members that I traded with, along with the member that is going to customize my ZT. I'm happy we all had great experiences in trading, and I really couldn't have gotten my first ZT without you guys. Until next time, BF!

UPDATE!!!

Just received my 0566 back in the mail yesterday, and I'm pretty excited to have it back. I have mixed feelings about the end result (some things I'm really happy with and some things I hope grow on me with time), but I'll just post pictures up to show you guys how it came out. In case anyone wanted to know, this is the total investment to date:

Total Outlined Above: $47.70

Pimp Job by BellaBlades - $105

Grand Total: $152.70!

I'll be posting up my experiences through the customization process in another thread in the coming weeks, which could possibly serve as a review for BellaBlades. Will update with that info soon. So, enough of the talking, lets get to the pics!

Close-up on the scale:

Close-up on the blade finish:

Close-up on the lockside finish:

Let me know what you guys think about the end result! :rolleyes::thumbup:

Last edited:
Like you I got my first ZT earlier this week and like you it was a LNIB ZT566 and also like you, I love it. I also traded for it, I didn't get as good of a deal as you did but, I'm still very happy. It is a great knife with awesome ergonomics, blade steel and overall fit and finish. Mine also came with a few custom scales, they are pretty neat.

Congrats on the trade.

Mine also came with a few custom scales, they are pretty neat.

Congrats on the trade.

Just to clarify, I only received a LNIB ZT 0566 (I didn't get any custom scales). I am getting some scales made along with some other goodies, though. Thank you, and congrats on your trade as well!

Talk about an awesome deal, you are a strategist in disguise!

It wasn't necessarily intentional, but thank you! I'm extremely pleased with the outcome :)

Buy a ticket for the lotto. NOW!

Nice knife, and good dickerin!

Great story. Thanks for sharing!

Myself I am still waiting for the right ZT to pop up.

Damn nice score man, congrats! I love my 0566, it's been my favorite folder since getting it last Nov.

That's some pretty awesome wheelin' and dealin'. Congrats on getting at 0566. It is a great knife.

That's some pretty awesome wheelin' and dealin'. Congrats on getting at 0566. It is a great knife.

Thank you!

I don't who you were trading with but they apparently fail at math.

I was thinking the same thing! Oh well, good for the OP, he got the knife he wanted at a great discount in the end.

Well, trading is not all about knowing math, but knowing about what you want, what you have, and what you're willing to give and take. The people I traded with either specifically asked for the knife I traded them, or something extremely similar. They had knives that they didn't necessarily need, and I had the exact knife they wanted. Also, in all fairness, they did not know what I had into the knife that I traded them, and the same is true with the knife they traded me (could have been gifted, bought cheap at a show, who knows). The last thing is simple convenience. If you want a knife, and you can get it in a single transaction that will result in you having the knife you want at your doorstep in 3 days, then would you stand to lose a buck or two? Especially if the knife the other person wants is one that you don't want/like/need?

Anyway, that's how I looked at it. :)

That's basically what I've done. I've managed to turn $190 and a bunch of shipping bills in to a brous mini division, a Cold Steel rajah 2, and a Cold Steel talwar. You did a better job, though!

Thank you!

Well, trading is not all about knowing math, but knowing about what you want, what you have, and what you're willing to give and take. The people I traded with either specifically asked for the knife I traded them, or something extremely similar. They had knives that they didn't necessarily need, and I had the exact knife they wanted. Also, in all fairness, they did not know what I had into the knife that I traded them, and the same is true with the knife they traded me (could have been gifted, bought cheap at a show, who knows). The last thing is simple convenience. If you want a knife, and you can get it in a single transaction that will result in you having the knife you want at your doorstep in 3 days, then would you stand to lose a buck or two? Especially if the knife the other person wants is one that you don't want/like/need?

Anyway, that's how I looked at it. :)

Well said.

You do understand, of course, that you should start working on a XM-18, or my preference...CRK.
You did one heck of a job. You engineers really know how to build something...
Kudos to you.

Back