Upgrade to Trade?

A hand can get use to any grip, problem is we want everything to feel perfect which is wrong... you get use to a handle by using it a lot. After a while its the best handle ever. I shoot a lot and can tel you from experience that any grip works as you eventually grow into it.
I appreciate that, but unfortunately I had a titanium plate screwed to my 4th metacarpal, pinky bone and I don’t have the strength or flexibility to grip the TGULB handle with enough pressure to be comfortable handling it. I think
it‘s an awesome knife and the grip fits fine in my right hand, but I’m a lefty. I will hopefully be able to afford to get it removed and it will be more flexible again. In the meantime I’ve purchased a Basic 10 that will hopefully be a good handle feel and my Busse collection is expanding!

A hand can get use to any grip, problem is we want everything to feel perfect which is wrong... you get use to a handle by using it a lot. After a while its the best handle ever. I shoot a lot and can tel you from experience that any grip works as you eventually grow into it.
Coerrection… 5th Metacarpal is the pinky

I agree to a degree. We can get used to much but if we start with the correct grip for our hand (and for the intended tasks) we will have a more comfortable more productive and safer time using the device. I think the most important thing is to be realistic about what you may use your tools for and get a well fitted handle for those tasks, then familiarize your hand to that grip by using it, a lot! If you chose well, it will feel increasingly like a very functional extension of your arm. If not, you will figure out what you dislike about it. The most comfortable grip on a knife over the display case may be a nightmare after hours of chopping, skinning, whittling, fighting, sub zero temps with cold, wet and numb hands while trying to start a fire or prep your food, kitchen work, opening fan mail, etc.

Use what you got to figure out what you want.

I appreciate that, but unfortunately I had a titanium plate screwed to my 4th metacarpal, pinky bone and I don’t have the strength or flexibility to grip the TGULB handle with enough pressure to be comfortable handling it. I think
it‘s an awesome knife and the grip fits fine in my right hand, but I’m a lefty. I will hopefully be able to afford to get it removed and it will be more flexible again. In the meantime I’ve purchased a Basic 10 that will hopefully be a good handle feel and my Busse collection is expanding!
With an injury like that, a piece of paracord or a leather thong through the talon hole of your knife and around your wrist may increase your purchase on a knife and confidence in your grip. You could also get the Busse blade profile you want and have someone make you a set of scales to go on it that fit you better.

I agree to a degree. We can get used to much but if we start with the correct grip for our hand (and for the intended tasks) we will have a more comfortable more productive and safer time using the device. I think the most important thing is to be realistic about what you may use your tools for and get a well fitted handle for those tasks, then familiarize your hand to that grip by using it, a lot! If you chose well, it will feel increasingly like a very functional extension of your arm. If not, you will figure out what you dislike about it. The most comfortable grip on a knife over the display case may be a nightmare after hours of chopping, skinning, whittling, fighting, sub zero temps with cold, wet and numb hands while trying to start a fire or prep your food, kitchen work, opening fan mail, etc.

Use what you got to figure out what you want.
I'll tag onto this. There are shapes of handles on choppers that I just can't get to work. Typically it involves a protrusion on the butt end of the handle that starts to feel like it is going to break my pinky after a few chops. Perhaps my bad grip technique. But it doesn't apply to all. For example, I usually don't have a problem with Beckers, even though they have the protrusion. Not until a LOT of chopping. Conversely, my Combat HUCK Fin starts to hurt almost immediately. Similarly the Double-Talon Battle Mistress.

However, I will totally agree with you that, to a large extent, the nuances of handle shape or grip shape to knives/guns can be adapted to, over time. The hand, overall, is a wonderfully designed mechanism, that, barring damage/injury, is remarkably adaptive.

Back