Urban EDC of Medium to Large Fixed Blade.

I started carrying fixed blade knives exclusively about 6 years ago for a variety of reasons I don't think I need to go into with this crowd.

I live in the heart of Minneapolis, and crime has been incredibly unpredictable and more frequent recently than in normal times, so I have found myself carrying a larger and larger blade (this is not the only reason, but it is an added benefit of carrying a larger blade that is more practical for self defense).

I started with an Esee Izula II. I moved to a TOPS Scandi Trekker with a 3.5' blade a little over a year ago. I now carry an Esee 4 in the stock molded plastic sheath high and vertical at about 4:30 o-clock.

My question is sort of a rhetorical one, but I'd love to hear others' opinion on this. Why do so many people shy away from carrying a fixed blade longer than 2.5" in an urban environment?

I understand that a large number of urban areas have laws that are strict against fixed blades and knives in general, but this seems to be the sentiment across the board in the US regardless of local knife laws.

I work at a fortune 50 company, and I have never been given an odd look or been spoken to about the Esee 4 on my hip. Granted, I consider the knife a tool, and I do not work in a stiff office environment.

What is the big deal with carrying a medium to large fixed blade if it is inconspicuous and you are not the "office mall ninja"?

I'm really curious to hear what others have experienced.

I think legal limitations are the biggest reason people don't admit to carrying knives larger than 2.9". There are many uses for a medium sized fixed blade knife. I carry a Condor Keyphart sometimes because it is the perfect size for cutting open bagels. It reaches down into skinny jars of peanut butter and jams pretty good too. Small knives don't work in every situation and it is wise to use the right tool for the job.

Legal limitations mostly. Also, it’s fairly difficult to conceal larger fixed blades with a t-shirt and jeans. I prefer discretion when carrying. I can pull it off with a jacket, but jackets often get too hot where I live.

For me, anything under 4" I typically would just rather carry a folder for pure comfort and convenience... I carry my knives primarily as cutting tools only, and folders cut things just fine... 4" and up is fixed blade territory for me...
There are exceptions and overlaps or course; 3.5" fixed and 4" folders, 2" neck knives, etc. But idk, to each his or her own.

There’s no “inconspicuous” way to carry a large fixed blade unless you’re wearing your mall ninja trench coat every day. Even a small fixed blade is much, much more conspicuous than a folder of the same blade length.

I carry a fixed blade often and don’t try to be inconspicuous about it at all. As long as it’s legal, I don’t give much of a damn about what anybody thinks. However, I can’t pack one at the office. That’s the only time I have a folder on me instead.

I have a BK14 on me at all times (even in an office, in a suit, at weddings, etc) Amazing 3.25" bladed, pocket survival knife, in a pocket sheath.

It's never offended or startled anyone, but even with that, I don't wave it around.

If I'm around delicate Karens or upright corporate types, I'd use my ALOX SAK Electrician slipjoint. It's a classy, folding tool.

My favorite larger knife is my BK15, but it only gets used / worn for the woods.

It's not needed for daily tasks and a smaller blade is easier to control and will get the job done just fine.

Open carrying of a large sheath knife in Canada's cities, while legal (if you have a legitimate purpose for it), would likely lead to some run-ins with law enforcement.

Other than fishing, not sure a 5"+ blade would be well received for EDC use.

A gerber EAB is an amazing utility cutter that does most things well except slice (since the exposed blade is so small.)

The fixed blade version of a slicey Wharncliffe is the Benchmade Azeria. Super handy little knife.

I actually prefer knifes in the 3" range for 90% of non-food prep uses. Keeps the weight down too.

For anything else larger or heavier cutting tasks (gardening, outdoor chores, etc...), A 3.6-4.1" mora is a LOT of cutting power in a cheap, light, tough package.

I keep them in all of my packs, just incase something larger is needed.

What is the big deal with carrying a medium to large fixed blade if it is inconspicuous and you are not the "office mall ninja"?

Depending on where you live and work, carrying a knife of any kind visible on your belt will do exactly that: Make you the "office mall ninja". Not only that, it also garners a lot of attention in public - most of it negative. Wearing clothing over a belt carried fixed blade reduces this issue to a certain extent, but I'm done wearing out my clothing where the kydex and handles tend to rub on the inside of suit jackets and wool sweaters.

Don't get me wrong, I also carry a 3-5" fixed blade when I'm out and about, but it's generally a pocket sheath (front jeans pocket) or inner jacket pocket carry unless it's something tiny with a very ergonomic sheath (such as the Benchmade Altitude). The only times I'll keep a proper fixed blade on my belt is around the house or outdoors, and even then usually only if I know I'll have a use for it.

I also like to have an additional socially acceptable folder of some kind on me for utility tasks. Unsheathing a 5" fixed blade to open a package in front of the post office just feels like overkill.

There’s no “inconspicuous” way to carry a large fixed blade unless you’re wearing your mall ninja trench coat every day. Even a small fixed blade is much, much more conspicuous than a folder of the same blade length.

Baloney......
*I know people who carry a fixed blade model 1-7 at 5 O-clock IWB. And you'd Never know. All while walking around in normal jeans, and a T-shirt.

I guess this is where I'm having an issue...So many people (not just on this thread) say that it gets you labeled as a psycho or mall ninja tacticool type, but I have never experienced this.

My Izula2 concealed (OWB riding high with an untucked shirt) better than any folder that would have a clip showing on my pocket. Also, a fixed blade doesn't need to be opened like a folder. I have experienced more weird looks and comments from using a Benchmade 710 or BM Triage because of the action and sound of opening the blade. I also need a knife that does not need as much maintenance or babying which is one reason I prefer fixed blades, and having a knife that will do a little bit of everything is important as I am very active outdoors and could be in a wide variety of situations throughout the day.

I think the type of work I do could have a lot to do with it. I work primarily in set design and photo production, so there is a bit of a need for such a tool. I typically wear black pants, and a black sheath blends in really well (again, with an untucked shirt).

Thanks for the replies! I really am just curious as to what others have experienced.

I carry a fixed blade often and don’t try to be inconspicuous about it at all. As long as it’s legal, I don’t give much of a damn about what anybody thinks. However, I can’t pack one at the office. That’s the only time I have a folder on me instead.

This is pretty much how I feel about it, but I think most people are pretty sensitive about others' perception of them.

I plan to carry my bk16 regularly, even ordered a kydex sheath for the purpose (stock sheath is just too large imo!)
However, unless I'm going into the woods or doing work around the house I don't see myself carrying my bigger Beckers or my kabar. Sure, I am legally allowed to, but I don't need that large a knife just walking with my kid downtown. Even if I need a knife for defense I'd rather run than possibly lose my knife and be on the receiving end of it. If need be though, a 4 inch blade can do plenty of damage, and I carry 4 inch folders all the time when I'm not at work.

Plus I'd rather not attract any undue attention, even though I live in Mississippi where open and concealed carry is legal even without permits.

I plan to carry my bk16 regularly, even ordered a kydex sheath for the purpose (stock sheath is just too large imo!)
However, unless I'm going into the woods or doing work around the house I don't see myself carrying my bigger Beckers or my kabar. Sure, I am legally allowed to, but I don't need that large a knife just walking with my kid downtown. Even if I need a knife for defense I'd rather run than possibly lose my knife and be on the receiving end of it. If need be though, a 4 inch blade can do plenty of damage, and I carry 4 inch folders all the time when I'm not at work.

Plus I'd rather not attract any undue attention, even though I live in Mississippi where open and concealed carry is legal even without permits.

Totally makes sense. The esee 4 is the largest I will carry unless I'm in the woods. I guess Medium to Large means different things to different people. 3.5-5" is what I'd consider medium to large (on the short end of large).

We have had multiple car jackings per day in Minneapolis since June. I don't view myself as a target, but you never know. I carried a sidearm with a permit for years, but I stopped that years ago for personal reasons. I know that hand to hand combat with a knife is in no way a sure bet for defense (I am fully aware of the possibility of being harmed by my own knife in a struggle), but so of these car jackings have been super violent and left people seriously injured or dead, so I feel like I'm better off with a knife this size than to not have a means of defense other than my bare hards.

Times are tough man...

Totally makes sense. The esee 4 is the largest I will carry unless I'm in the woods. I guess Medium to Large means different things to different people. 3.5-5" is what I'd consider medium to large (on the short end of large).

We have had multiple car jackings per day in Minneapolis since June. I don't view myself as a target, but you never know. I carried a sidearm with a permit for years, but I stopped that years ago for personal reasons. I know that hand to hand combat with a knife is in no way a sure bet for defense (I am fully aware of the possibility of being harmed by my own knife in a struggle), but so of these car jackings have been super violent and left people seriously injured or dead, so I feel like I'm better off with a knife this size than to not have a means of defense other than my bare hards.

Times are tough man...

I classify up to 4" as small. The BK16 is just barely over that so... Medium-small? I think my bk2 and 10 are medium and then my bk7 and kabar are getting into the large category. Different strokes for different folks!

And I know where I live crime is low, but I also live in a town of 9,000 people. We are surrounded by rural communities, and I hate to say it but there is a lot of meth and other drug problems in the area. I mean, low income, low education, etc etc. Still, crime is low, which I'm thankful for. We are not far from Memphis, TN though and that is a high crime area. I'm close right now actually (at work). The important thing is to know where not to be, and I usually stay away from anywhere sketchy and just go to work and home and stay out of the middle of the city. Plus, I work in switch yards owned by tva (government) so not a lot of worry about people just wandering up and looking for trouble.

I couldn't imagine actually living in an area like Memphis though. I don't think I could do it. I like the slow life, and cities just anger me, even if it's just Tupelo! Traffic, bad drivers, etc. Thankfully my trade allows me to make that choice. I can work pretty much anywhere. I know many are not so lucky.

Here's to hoping you never need to resort to defending yourself, but if you do you come through unscathed!

I classify up to 4" as small. The BK16 is just barely over that so... Medium-small? I think my bk2 and 10 are medium and then my bk7 and kabar are getting into the large category. Different strokes for different folks!

And I know where I live crime is low, but I also live in a town of 9,000 people. We are surrounded by rural communities, and I hate to say it but there is a lot of meth and other drug problems in the area. I mean, low income, low education, etc etc. Still, crime is low, which I'm thankful for. We are not far from Memphis, TN though and that is a high crime area. I'm close right now actually (at work). The important thing is to know where not to be, and I usually stay away from anywhere sketchy and just go to work and home and stay out of the middle of the city. Plus, I work in switch yards owned by tva (government) so not a lot of worry about people just wandering up and looking for trouble.

I couldn't imagine actually living in an area like Memphis though. I don't think I could do it. I like the slow life, and cities just anger me, even if it's just Tupelo! Traffic, bad drivers, etc. Thankfully my trade allows me to make that choice. I can work pretty much anywhere. I know many are not so lucky.

Here's to hoping you never need to resort to defending yourself, but if you do you come through unscathed!

I grew up in rural Texas, and I often ask myself, "How the hell did I end up in the city?".

I do love it here, and I make a good living, but since George Floyd the police have been less than reliable (there have been many who have resigned or moved to different jurisdictions). There has been a huge uptick in violent crime, and it doesn't seem to follow any particular boundries. Even the wealthy neighborhoods have been affected.

This is another reason I've basically just said,"Fuck it" and started carrying bigger blades. The 12ga and 1911 are kept for home defense. During the uprising, riots, and fires last year in Minneapolis I changed my tune and I'm never more than arms length from some type of defensive weapon. I am not terrified, but I am very cautious and aware of my surroundings as much as possible.

I think my overall appearance helps with not getting weird looks while carrying a sheath on my belt. I'm a 38 skateboarder and dress like one. If I were wearing khaki slacks and a tucked in button up shirt I think the knife would be more noticeable and "out of place".

I'll add that when there were riots in the streets, fires in the alleys, and national guard occupying my neighborhood I did not feel very safe even with firearms at home. Shit was pretty terrifying.

Something is better than nothing, and I am willing to accept any negative reactions (haven't experienced any yet) from the public.

I'll add that when there were riots in the streets, fires in the alleys, and national guard occupying my neighborhood I did not feel very safe even with firearms at home. Shit was pretty terrifying.

Something is better than nothing, and I am willing to accept any negative reactions (haven't experienced any yet) from the public.

I can imagine. Hell, I worry about my wife and kid when I'm not home and considering where I live there's really no reason but, you know how it is. I'm there to provide and protect.

Hope things get better man. Having to be aware all the time can be draining.

Well, in short, I work in an office environment*, and absolutely could not dream of any situation where walking around with a sheathed fixed blade on my belt would be acceptable or allowed. It's worth noting that I say that as someone who could have both pockets full of OTFs, Balisongs, or giant bladed Cold Steel folders with no problems, as I live in a very knife rights friendly state. Also, I don't see much value personally in carrying a fixed blade for defense. I carry a gun for that, simple as that.

*I don't know of any "Fortune 50" companies where you could walk around in an office environment carrying a large fixed blade on your belt.

Back