Urban EDC of Medium to Large Fixed Blade.

Well, in short, I work in an office environment*, and absolutely could not dream of any situation where walking around with a sheathed fixed blade on my belt would be acceptable or allowed. It's worth noting that I say that as someone who could have both pockets full of OTFs, Balisongs, or giant bladed Cold Steel folders with no problems, as I live in a very knife rights friendly state. Also, I don't see much value personally in carrying a fixed blade for defense. I carry a gun for that, simple as that.

*I don't know of any "Fortune 50" companies where you could walk around in an office environment carrying a large fixed blade on your belt.

I work for Target Corp. at the Photo/Video Production Studio, and have carried this way many times at our HQ buildings and in meetings without any flak whatsoever. Now you know of one :)

Well, in short, I work in an office environment*, and absolutely could not dream of any situation where walking around with a sheathed fixed blade on my belt would be acceptable or allowed. It's worth noting that I say that as someone who could have both pockets full of OTFs, Balisongs, or giant bladed Cold Steel folders with no problems, as I live in a very knife rights friendly state. Also, I don't see much value personally in carrying a fixed blade for defense. I carry a gun for that, simple as that.

*I don't know of any "Fortune 50" companies where you could walk around in an office environment carrying a large fixed blade on your belt.

As far as carrying a gun, I choose not to for many reasons. Working downtown there are very few buildings that allow firearms, I enjoy drinking a beer once in a while and am 100% against drinking and carrying a firearm, I also don't fee comfortable at all with leaving my firearm in my vehicle even if it is in a lock box.

Would you feel better with a fixed blade knife versus nothing but your bare fists? Seems to me like it is a decent self defense option, last ditch or otherwise.

I work in an office at Los Angeles, in a very progressive "liberal" beauty company. They are sensitive about many things, some of those things, I do not understand.

But no co-worker has ever had a problem with me carrying a knife. I normally carry either a Spyderco Manix, or Ontario Rat 1. Rarely a fixed knife. They do ask me for a knife and other tools if they need em (I let them borrow the Rat1 but not the Manix).

I always see knife people say "they freak out and treat me like a psycho! Think it is a wEAPon!!"... but in my experience...even the most sensitive, Californian, snowflakey, rainbow-dancing workers next to me don't care about a pocket knife. And almost 100 co-workers see me using my pocket knife in the cafeteria while eating. Other co-workers carry pocket knives too (Usually SAKs or Opinels).

As far as carrying a gun, I choose not to for many reasons. Working downtown there are very few buildings that allow firearms, I enjoy drinking a beer once in a while and am 100% against drinking and carrying a firearm, I also don't fee comfortable at all with leaving my firearm in my vehicle even if it is in a lock box.

Would you feel better with a fixed blade knife versus nothing but your bare fists? Seems to me like it is a decent self defense option, last ditch or otherwise.

No. I don't have years of extensive knife training, do you? I DO have years of shooting experience, and have taken a few classes. If I have to rely on a knife for a self defense situation, there has been a series of disastrous errors that have led to me being there in that moment. I respect your personal choices that you've made, but frankly, carrying a big knife isn't going to be much better in any of those situations you speak of. Those choices won't be the same for everyone.

No. I don't have years of extensive knife training, do you? I DO have years of shooting experience, and have taken a few classes. If I have to rely on a knife for a self defense situation, there has been a series of disastrous errors that have led to me being there in that moment. I respect your personal choices that you've made, but frankly, carrying a big knife isn't going to be much better in any of those situations you speak of. Those choices won't be the same for everyone.

Yes, I do have years of extensive training with both blades and firearms. To each their own, and I appreciate your perspective.

Baloney......
*I know people who carry a fixed blade model 1-7 at 5 O-clock IWB. And you'd Never know. All while walking around in normal jeans, and a T-shirt.

Look at some of the Bill Bagwell videos on the 'Tube. He's pretty darn good at carrying, and concealing, very large knives.

If you have to take your t-shirt half off to get your knife out, you've moved out of normal EDC territory. I live in South Florida, where we have a very high tolerance for unusual behavior, and pulling your shirt up to your armpit to get your 12” fixed blade out of your pants would definitely be noticed. More to the point, it's not convenient if you actually need to use your knife throughout the day. Compounding the issue is that “armpit carry” a la Bagwell requires a concealed carry permit in a majority of the US, which is an obvious barrier to adoption. In fact, even concealed carrying a sub-3” blade Izula will require a permit in many jurisdictions (including Florida, which does not have particularly stringent concealed carry laws, but does not include fixed blades in its “pocket knife exception” to the CCW statute).

In many urban/suburban environments, open carry of a fixed blade knife, regardless of size, will be viewed as "abnormal" if you're not a tradesman or engaging in a similar activity. Concealed carry eliminates that, but also has its own drawbacks. I can't think of any "EDC" tasks where a 4" folding knife wouldn't work but a 4" fixed blade would.

I work for Target Corp. at the Photo/Video Production Studio, and have carried this way many times at our HQ buildings and in meetings without any flak whatsoever. Now you know of one :)

As always, context (in this case, what your role in the company is) plays a huge role. Regardless of the size of the company, if you're in a position where you work with your hands or where cutting things is a frequent part of your job, it's much less likely that carrying a conspicuous knife will be looked at negatively. I work in a lowly Fortune 1000 company, but I'm high enough in the company's management hierarchy that a fixed blade of any size would be conspicuously out-of-place. I'm a corporate attorney, so I wear a suit and deal with C-suite and other executives all day, so I discretely carry a folder IWB behind my belt. The maintenance guys in our corporate HQ, however, wear tool belts, and I doubt anybody in the office could tell me whether they have knives attached to their belts. An ESEE 4 wouldn't stick out if they had one, but if I take off my suit jacket and have and have an ESEE 4 hanging from my waist, that's going to stick out.

If you have to take your t-shirt half off to get your knife out, you've moved out of normal EDC territory. I live in South Florida, where we have a very high tolerance for unusual behavior, and pulling your shirt up to your armpit to get your 12” fixed blade out of your pants would definitely be noticed. More to the point, it's not convenient if you actually need to use your knife throughout the day. Compounding the issue is that “armpit carry” a la Bagwell requires a concealed carry permit in a majority of the US, which is an obvious barrier to adoption. In fact, even concealed carrying a sub-3” blade Izula will require a permit in many jurisdictions (including Florida, which does not have particularly stringent concealed carry laws, but does not include fixed blades in its “pocket knife exception” to the CCW statute).

In many urban/suburban environments, open carry of a fixed blade knife, regardless of size, will be viewed as "abnormal" if you're not a tradesman or engaging in a similar activity. Concealed carry eliminates that, but also has its own drawbacks. I can't think of any "EDC" tasks where a 4" folding knife wouldn't work but a 4" fixed blade would.

As always, context (in this case, what your role in the company is) plays a huge role. Regardless of the size of the company, if you're in a position where you work with your hands or where cutting things is a frequent part of your job, it's much less likely that carrying a conspicuous knife will be looked at negatively. I work in a lowly Fortune 1000 company, but I'm high enough in the company's management hierarchy that a fixed blade of any size would be conspicuously out-of-place. I'm a corporate attorney, so I wear a suit and deal with C-suite and other executives all day, so I discretely carry a folder IWB behind my belt. The maintenance guys in our corporate HQ, however, wear tool belts, and I doubt anybody in the office could tell me whether they have knives attached to their belts. An ESEE 4 wouldn't stick out if they had one, but if I take off my suit jacket and have and have an ESEE 4 hanging from my waist, that's going to stick out.

Agreed. I am in management, but my role is a very flexible one where I may be in a wood shop one minute then in a formal meeting with Producers and Art Directors the next. Good insight, however, I think the idea that "any open carry of a fixed blade knife regardless of size will be viewed as abnormal" is a statement based feeling and not practice. This is what I'm trying to understand.

Has anyone here had any negative experiences related to this?

It seems to be a little bit like visible tattoos to me.

20 years ago you would never be allowed to have visible tattoos in a corporate setting, but now it is no longer stigmatized. I've experienced a similar shift in carrying a fixed blade, but this is purely anecdotal and is not true in every case.

I live in San Diego California, where it's legal to openly carry any size or type of fixed-blade. It's illegal to carry a concealed fixed-blade in this state. I openly carried fixed-blades here for many years, wherever I went, and never received (or noticed) any negative reactions from the public.

I had carried a fixed-blade on and off since I was a teenager (often concealed in my younger days). But it was as an adult working a freight shipping dock when I started carrying consistently, and legally (openly). At that job a fixed-blade was a valuable tool to have, and I got accustomed to having it on my hip all day. Some of my friends and coworkers carried fixed-blades everywhere they went, and taking encouragement from them I started doing the same. On some occasions it came in handy outside of work.

I was fortunate to retire early, and post-retirement my need for a knife dropped to almost nothing. After going about a year without having any need for the fixed-blade on my belt, I started to question the point of carrying it. And after a few other changes in my life, carrying a fixed-blade just became impractical for me. It was difficult getting used to not having it on me, I felt naked without it, but eventually I got used to it.

I also never encountered any negative reactions from members of law enforcement from my fixed-blade. Even though many saw me carrying, some close enough for me to read their name tag.

I'm an old-school biker, I look the part, and on one occasion I walked into a fast food type restaurant where about 6 cops were sitting at a table near the counter eating. I walked right past them, placed my order, and stood near the counter waiting for my food. The cops and I were the only customers there, and being cops I have no doubt they all saw me (I'm pretty conspicuous). I stood right in front of the cops for a good while with my knife facing them (third one down in the pic), but not one of them said a word about my knife, or to me. I got my food and left.

Below is a pic of the various fixed-blades I carried consistently (only one at a time). The top one has a 4" blade, the other three have 5" blades. I started carrying them in back pocket sheaths, but then switched to low-hanging belt sheaths to prevent my jacket from accidentally covering them.

XALwfQd.jpg

Last edited:
If you're in management, why not carry a blade behind your tie? IIRC, there used to be a maker of tie sheaths. Or, you can carry up to 6" blade with a neck knife configuration.

I don't see knives helping much with carjackings since you'd likely be responding to an armed ambush, but ever give consideration to pepperspray + knife?

Best non-gun carry would be pepperspray + flashlight/kubaton + knife.

If you're in management, why not carry a blade behind your tie? IIRC, there used to be a maker of tie sheaths. Or, you can carry up to 6" blade with a neck knife configuration.

I don't see knives helping much with carjackings since you'd likely be responding to an armed ambush, but ever give consideration to pepperspray + knife?

Best non-gun carry would be pepperspray + flashlight/kubaton + knife.

I should probably add some bear spray to my car kit.

I actually know 1 person who was carjacked, and another who fought off an attempted car jacking with his hands. Turns out the would be carjackers didn't know how to drive a manual transmission hahaha!

Agreed. I am in management, but my role is a very flexible one where I may be in a wood shop one minute then in a formal meeting with Producers and Art Directors the next. Good insight, however, I think the idea that "any open carry of a fixed blade knife regardless of size will be viewed as abnormal" is a statement based feeling and not practice. This is what I'm trying to understand.

Im sorry, I must not of read something earlier of the OP's request of the ability to carry a large fixed blade EDC.

I was meaning to carry the large blade (Yes).
…….but to Also carry a smaller folder, something "social friendly" for knife duties, like opening boxes, etc.

basically carrying Multiple knives.

My guess is the answer is around legal liability.

I’ve had enough hand to hand combat training to feel like I could fight at least as well open handed with much less liability.

As a rule, I stay out of high crime areas. If I feel a need to carry a weapon, it’s going to be a pistol.

I've been carrying my XL Espada , front pocket everyday for the few weeks I've had it .

Surprisingly easy to carry and nearly equivalent in reach and cutting power to a 13" blade fixed ( Natchez Bowie size ) .

I used to carry mostly fixed , but the Cold Steel Tri-ad folders are plenty strong enough for most uses and far easier to carry and conceal .

Fixed will always be better for dirty jobs , heavy chopping , prying etc but you pay a price in convenience and comfort .

My guess is the answer is around legal liability.

I’ve had enough hand to hand combat training to feel like I could fight at least as well open handed with much less liability.

As a rule, I stay out of high crime areas. If I feel a need to carry a weapon, it’s going to be a pistol.

Unfortunately, I cannot "stay out of high crime areas" as I live and work in Minneapolis in 2021, so that is not an option. To add to that, crime can happen anywhere, so being prepared all the time is wise. I explained earlier why I don't carry a firearm.

Just trying to get opinions specific to carrying a big knife in an urban area.

Thanks to everyone for the perspective. This has proven to be an interesting discussion and I appreciate the feedback.

It's funny you start this thread as I was just thinking about something similar this morning:

What fixed blade knife length and/or style makes the most sense for nearly any situation? What's the ideal trade off to size, usefulness, concealability, etc.

I recently tried a smaller 4" more streamlined knife. The Ontario Blackbird Sk-4. I thought that the 4" blade would be useful and comparable to my almost 4" folder/auto and that the "bar of soap" grip and more friendly SAK-like spear point tip would make it seem more like a tool than a weapon on my hip. I don't really like it. It's too thin both in stock and handle, the tip isn't the best for opening things at work (make's sense since it is a survival knife). I much prefer the much heavier if not much longer ZT180. Clip point and hand filling with enough shape to be a good piercer and still not look like a total weapon.

One of my big hang ups on the ZT180 was the sheath. It is a bucket of suck. It's not BAD, but it's so big and bulky if well made. I made a quick and dirty one out of leather and it much easier to carry and use.

So while I typically prefer my folder/auto for convenience, when I want something that can handle a bit more abuse, I find a 4" fixed blade to be a good compromise to handle most things. I sort of see the 4" blade to be a good jack of all trades size. it can work and it can defend. You can build a fire with it. Most knives of that size will handle some abuse. It's large enough to do hard work but small enough to not get left at home.

edit to add to the topic:
I carry whatever I want in my office, because, well, it is MY office;) I am a contractor so I want something that not only open boxes and stuff in the warehouse but will also hold up to work on the jobsite. I live in very knife friendly Indiana, so I can carry most anything I want.

Last edited:
1. You are attacked by someone carrying a gun. You respond with your knife. You have just brought a knife to a gunfight.

2. You are attacked by someone with a knife. Now you have a knife fight. Are you going to the hospital or to the morgue?

3. Someone attacks you without a weapon. You use your knife in response. The law now views you as the assailant.

Henry Beige Henry Beige

[/QUOTE]
1. You are attacked by someone carrying a gun. You respond with your knife. You have just brought a knife to a gunfight. Correct Answer: Yes, under close, brutal, reactionary adrenaline dumping body movements Knives have MANY advantages over a firearm. Good Choice..... but carry Both, if you can depending on situation.

2. You are attacked by someone with a knife. Now you have a knife fight. Are you going to the hospital or to the morgue? Correct Answer: Run away, if you can!!! but it's better to have, then have not.

3. Someone attacks you without a weapon. You use your knife in response. The law now views you as the assailant. Correct Answer: Not True

Best advice for the OP is to Move out of the dangerous cities, and drink beer at Home.....which follows the basic rules of

1. Don't go to Stupid places
2. with Stupid people
3. doing Stupid things
4. at Stupid times

* Not calling You stupid, btw
(just internet advice)

I live in San Diego California, where it's legal to openly carry any size or type of fixed-blade. It's illegal to carry a concealed fixed-blade in this state. I openly carried fixed-blades here for many years, wherever I went, and never received (or noticed) any negative reactions from the public.

I had carried a fixed-blade on and off since I was a teenager (often concealed in my younger days). But it was as an adult working a freight shipping dock when I started carrying consistently, and legally (openly). At that job a fixed-blade was a valuable tool to have, and I got accustomed to having it on my hip all day. Some of my friends and coworkers carried fixed-blades everywhere they went, and taking encouragement from them I started doing the same. On some occasions it came in handy outside of work.

I was fortunate to retire early, and post-retirement my need for a knife dropped to almost nothing. After going about a year without having any need for the fixed-blade on my belt, I started to question the point of carrying it. And after a few other changes in my life, carrying a fixed-blade just became impractical for me. It was difficult getting used to not having it on me, I felt naked without it, but eventually I got used to it.

I also never encountered any negative reactions from members of law enforcement from my fixed-blade. Even though many saw me carrying, some close enough for me to read their name tag.

I'm an old-school biker, I look the part, and on one occasion I walked into a fast food type restaurant where about 6 cops were sitting at a table near the counter eating. I walked right past them, placed my order, and stood near the counter waiting for my food. The cops and I were the only customers there, and being cops I have no doubt they all saw me (I'm pretty conspicuous). I stood right in front of the cops for a good while with my knife facing them (third one down in the pic), but not one of them said a word about my knife, or to me. I got my food and left.

Below is a pic of the various fixed-blades I carried consistently (only one at a time). The top one has a 4" blade, the other three have 5" blades. I started carrying them in back pocket sheaths, but then switched to low-hanging belt sheaths to prevent my jacket from accidentally covering them.

XALwfQd.jpg

Again, it has to do with context. The places where any sort of openly-carried "weapon" (firearm or blade) is going to cause a stir are different, in the cultural/social sense, than areas where it would be ignored. I grew up in Miami, and the reaction you'd get on South Beach is 180 degrees from what the response would be in Homestead (where the NASCAR track is). If you walk into a Tractor Supply with a knife on your hip, it wouldn't be unusual; you walk into a Gucci or Louis Vuitton store with a knife on your hip, security will probably stop you at the door. In the same vein, maybe you dress like a cowboy or a biker, so a knife is part of the look, and might not seem as out of place (although someone who dresses like that may stand out in general, depending on where they are).

Also, you shouldn't overlook that carrying any sort of knife on your person every day puts you in the small minority in the US. Fixed blade EDC is a small minority within a small minority of the general population. That, by itself, goes a long way toward explaining why people react the way they do.

Back